Benchmarks

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I posted this at << so I figure I will post it here aswell.

Well I spent a little time today and did some benchies.I recorded0 everything and I will list the info below.I want your opinions here guys,based off the info I provide how do you think my rig is running and or how can I improve on it.

All testing was done at 1280x720.The first set of tests is with my Q9400 at stock clocks and my 8800gt at stock clocks

RE5 DX9 fixed run. Default settings 60.2 fps avg Max settings 61 fps avg
Lost planet snow run Default settings 64 fps avg Max settings 21 fps avg
Lost planet cave run Default settings 70 fps avg Max settings 25 fps avg
SF4 fixed run Default settings 151 fps avg Max settings 79 fps avg

Now here is with my Q9400 at 3.44ghz and the 8800gt at stock clocks still

RE5 DX9 fixed run Default settings 71 fps avg Max settings 73 fps avg
Lost planet snow run Default settings 68fps avg Max settings 21 fps avg
Lost planet cave run Default settings 86 fps avg Max settings 26 fps avg
SF4 fixed run Default settings 165 fps avg Max settings 84 fps avg

Results do to my cpu overclock
As you can see RE5 gains 11fps at default and 12fps at max settings
Lost Planet snow run gains 4fps at default and no frames at max.I dont understand this???
Lost Planet cave run gains 16fps at default and 1 fps at max settings
SF4 ficed run gains 14fps at default and 5fps at max settings

WHat do you guys think of this? What and how bad is my bottleneck?
I always here that at a low res like 720p you are really cpu dependant.I overclocked my cpu from 2.66 to 3.44 and now it seems I am GPU dependant at this low res.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Bman123

WHat do you guys think of this? What and how bad is my bottleneck?
I always here that at a low res like 720p you are really cpu dependant.I overclocked my cpu from 2.66 to 3.44 and now it seems I am GPU dependant at this low res.

You can't just be like I run low res. so I should be CPU limited in everything. It really depends on the game.

If you used AA with your 8800gt than you are using more GPU bandwidth deprived situation than CPU bottleneck. It would be as same as running 1680x1050 without AA when you run 1280x720 with 4xAA. Try the benchmarks without AA and you will see bigger gains across the board. You've only tested capcom games to give yourself a dilemma. Try some other engines as well.

P.S. You really shouldn't be worried about bottlneck with modern hardware. if you want better performance upgrade your GPU first than worry about feeding enough CPU for that GPU.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I am using demo benchmarks that I can find online.Feel free to tell me what other free demo/benchmarks I should use.

I am just saying normally you hear people say at that low res you are cpu limited.I am trying to show that with different games the bottlenecks are elsewhere.

I am not going to go up in res as I am gaming on my 32in hdtv and I love it.Just wondering if going to a hd4850 would make a differnce or not.From what I can tell using a hd4850 would be like getting free AA as it handles that alot better then the 8800gt.

I am happy with my performance.I am just trying to show stats for maybe some people who are looking into upgrading,or maybe just need to see some first hand benchies.

The only game I would probably stop and look at the scenery would be crysis or fallout 3.
I normally play COD so I dont have time to site see (LOL) AA doesn't really matter since I dont stop and look at the edges of buildings.I just wanna see what kinda of performance hit I take with going to max settings.

I tell ya what Lost planet crippled my rig at max settings at 1280x720

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Don't take everything literally. If people say at low res you are CPU limited with what card? You CPU limited with a 2400xt @ 1280x720? More GPU power you have more improvements can be had with a faster CPU. Biggest gains come from GPU not CPU in games.

Like I said before. If you are using AA you are also stressing the GPU lot harder than without AA. 720P might be a low resolution but with AA it's equivalent to running 1680x1050 without AA. Although 8800gt is decent performer you are probably hitting a wall how much more improvements can be had with your CPU. Not to mention you are basically testing 1 engine made by capcom that might have lower effect with CPU.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
AZN what demos do you think I should use?
THe only one I can think of is crysis right now.

Please feel free to chime in so I can do some more benchies today and tomorrow.I want to use alot of different games as benchies but I am not sure what games are good ones to use.

So @ 720p w 4xaa it is equivalent to 1680x1050.THats nice to know as I never heard or saw anything that showed that.I have never upgraded my monitor because I thought my performance would suck at 1680x1050.

I wish there was a GTA4 demo but there isn't.I really want to know how that would run with my rig @720.
It is nice to be able to use demos that are on consoles.I had a xbox 360 and that is why I did those three benchies so I could see the difference between the 360 and the pc.

The biggest difference was RE5 as there is alot more going on at one time

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
You do know that with AA you are using more pixels, textures, bandwidth, vram. Similar to upping resolution. Usually 2xAA is equivalent to upping a resolution by a notch and 4xAA is like upping resolution by 2 notches.

Any mmo, or RTS games are CPU hungry.

Word in Conflict has a built in demo benchmark. Crysis you won't see much unless you run it medium settings as this game is GPU limited in a big way even with GTX285.

GTA4 also has huge benefit with CPU. It just depends on game and the engine.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I ran the cod4 demo and for some reason I dont remember it being as demanding.Max settings @1280x720 and I got dips into the 30's

Think I need to get this cpu going a little faster

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
COD4 is one of those games that doesn't benefit too much from just mhz but the bigger cache makes bigger difference.

I run WAW @ 1920x1080 with 16xCSAA. I rarely dip into 30's. Maybe if I'm playing online with so many thing blowing up all at once. I average like 80fps.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
This was on the war pig mission.Ther eis alot of stuff going on at once and the lighting is alot more intense then normal in that mission.I think there was at least 10 enemies on screen plus all of my guys so there was a fair amount of people on screen.

I am going fo ra higher cpu overclock right now.I am trying to get his Q9400 to go higher then 3.44 ghz.
I am completely stable right now at
3.44ghz @ 1.36250 v
ram at
861 mhz @ 2.0v

See if she will go higher or not