Question Benchmarks.... PassMark vs. Geekbench

kirkdickinson

Oct 22, 2015
I have always checked PassMark for benchmarks, but fell into GeekBench last night. The top performing CPU's in the lists look a lot different. Wondering why that is? Maybe I am on the wrong pages of those sites.

Geekbench has the 9900KF at the top above all the Ryzens, but PassMark has the 9900KF down a ways.

Wondering what is going on here?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Been out of the loop for a LOOOOONG time. Am I to understand that AMD has taken back the performance crown with a vengeance? And Wassup MarkFW.
In multi-thread and especially server, they are kicking Intel in the arse. And for value ? They are killing it.

Good to see you back, why did you now use your regular keysplayer account ? If you can't remember the password, start a thread in moderator discussions and ask that it be reset,. Then we can delete the new account and get back all your old goodness.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Been out of the loop for a LOOOOONG time. Am I to understand that AMD has taken back the performance crown with a vengeance? And Wassup MarkFW.
Well that begs the question, what kept you away for so long from not only the forum but just general tech news that you had no clue AMD was back in the race?

keysplayr2

May 26, 2019
Well that begs the question, what kept you away for so long from not only the forum but just general tech news that you had no clue AMD was back in the race?
Life changes. And walking away was probably a good thing at the time. I had enough of the fights and vitriol. Thought I'd check out AT and see old friends. Last I upgraded my rig was a few years ago. 7600K. I gotta say it wasn't that noticeably faster than the 2500K that it replaced. I was considering another upgrade and when I saw benchmarks for new AMD and EPYC??? Wow!! Impressed.

keysplayr2

May 26, 2019
In multi-thread and especially server, they are kicking Intel in the arse. And for value ? They are killing it.

Good to see you back, why did you now use your regular keysplayer account ? If you can't remember the password, start a thread in moderator discussions and ask that it be reset,. Then we can delete the new account and get back all your old goodness.
I don't even think my old account exists or is active any longer. I tried it but says account doesn't exist.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Geekbench is very sensitive to memory bandwidth and probably bugs out with the 2990wx's multiple numa node configuration.

GB4 was worse in that regard. GB5 doesn't even modify the score based on memory subsystem scores (anymore). So it should be less problematic.

edit: I will say that maybe mem is still playing a big part in the background though. Here's my 3900x (not overclocked) with DDR4-3733 CAS/CL14:

I have also modified LLC settings downward and added a negative voltage offset to improve boost performance, so that may be an additional factor. The scores that Primate Labs lists for the 3900x seem kinda low.

Last edited:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The geekbench scores look ridiculous. A 22 core OLD Xeon (E5-2696v4) at 2.2 ghz beats a 2990wx 32 core 3.0 ghz chip ?. There are other examples, but that one is enough.
Looks like the benchmark can only handle 1/2 the available cores.