Ben Roethlisberger - Highly overrated?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: sao123
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
I think the question has been answered.

:roll::roll:Oh yes... lets blame Roethlisberger for the loss because his offensive line cant block.:roll::roll:

So you blame that critical interception on the offensive line?

The ciritical interception in which he was hit as he threw the ball making it not go as far as it should have? The reciever was open 10 yards farther down the field!
the guy had defensive lineman in his face all night. there was no pocket... no-one can throw accurately under that much pressure.

When was the last time Roethlisberger had a decent game?

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
when was the last time he didn't have to come back from surgery and smashing his face into the ground? The Steelers have also played some tough teams (Cinci, Jags, and Chargers). It's early in the season, chill out folks.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: James3shin
when was the last time he didn't have to come back from surgery and smashing his face into the ground? The Steelers have also played some tough teams (Cinci, Jags, and Chargers). It's early in the season, chill out folks.

1-3 in a division that includes the Bengals and Ravens.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
what's your point? The bengals and ravens are very good teams, unlike the jets dolphins and bills.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002

:roll::roll:Oh yes... lets blame Roethlisberger for the loss because his offensive line cant block.:roll::roll:

The ciritical interception in which he was hit as he threw the ball making it not go as far as it should have? The reciever was open 10 yards farther down the field!
the guy had defensive lineman in his face all night. there was no pocket... no-one can throw accurately under that much pressure.

The same day they had a dominant offensive line. Cincy, Indy, Denver 2005.
You're too hung up on this QB thing. Accept the fact that even a great QB looks average with terrible blocking... and Accept the fact that a line of 5 pro-bowlers can make a terrible QB look great.
There hasn't been a great QB in the league since Elway. Not Brady. Not Bledsoe. Not Roethlisberger. None. Zip. Zero. No. Natta. Un-Uh.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Was there ever an initial point to this thread?

some guy with an inferiority complex needed to insult another QB to make himself feel better about how average his teams QB is.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

You're too hung up on this QB thing. Accept the fact that even a great QB looks average with terrible blocking... and Accept the fact that a line of 5 pro-bowlers can make a terrible QB look great.
There hasn't been a great QB in the league since Elway. Not Brady. Not Bledsoe. Not Roethlisberger. None. Zip. Zero. No. Natta. Un-Uh.

QFT

Peyton Manning, easily the best current QB in the NFL, looked like crap against the Steelers in the playoffs because they were getting so much pressure on him.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004

Wow, I don't know about that. You can have the greatest line, but if you can't read the DB as a QB, you're done. I also think we have a few great QB's, namely Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and Drew Brees (I don't know how he still can see through the lineman, I think I remember some analyst saying they design lanes for him to see his receivers). There are more, but those 3 stick out in my head.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002

Wow, I don't know about that. You can have the greatest line, but if you can't read the DB as a QB, you're done. I also think we have a few great QB's, namely Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and Drew Brees (I don't know how he still can see through the lineman, I think I remember some analyst saying they design lanes for him to see his receivers). There are more, but those 3 stick out in my head.

I think it might be premature to call these guys great. Maybe eventually, but not yet.
Carson & Drew have 3-5 years in the league. With maybe 2 ea, being among the top QB's in that particular year. Everyone has a good year or two, once in a while. Even like that Kordell Stewart. But that dont make them great. In order to be great... this must be repeated over & over through the course of 10-12-15 years like the true greats.
Peyton is a little closer than the other two, but he still has the knock of not beign able to solve some of the better defenses (belichek, lebeau, del rio, billick) over his 8 years in the league.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Uhh, you state Drew Brees, but you don't mention Brady? :confused:

Icanoutsmokeany1

Jan 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Chloraseptic
you're right, i'm sure tommy maddux would have done just as good of a job. you have to have someone to throw to the recievers and hand the ball off. arizona has a james, fitzgerald, and boldin, fantastic skilled position players, and yet, no one to throw them the ball, how's that working out for them?

you don't have to go out and throw for tons of yardage and touchdowns, you just have to manage the game if you're put into a situation like the steelers. so far he's having a terrible year, but considering his face was broken before the season and his appendix burst, i'd give him a pass, and i don't even like pittsburg.

Tommy Maddox did do just fine for them.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
People have lots of hate for Roethlisberger, more than any other QB. I'm wondering what he did to piss everyone off :p - It's the Coach's fault for always playing him when he's injured or has been recently injured. Your QB should always want to play, but you don't have to play him just because he wants to. This is going to be your QB for maybe 10+ more years, take it easy on the guy. Pitt has an above average backup QB in Charlie Batch, who played quite well this year when he had to fill in, why not play him?

Ben hasn't been healthy much this year, he's a great QB when he's healthy. I don't know why the Pitt Coaches keep letting him play injured/shortly after injury though.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
I think Big Ben was put in very good situation his first two years. Playing for a team with #1 defense, #1 running game and #1 o-line is as good as any quarterback can have it. He also had 3 great receivers. This year the defense and o-line is struggling and he also lost 2 of the 3 receivers. All this has brought him down to earth.

I don't think Big Ben is as bad as he looks right now but he was neither as good as he looked last 2 years.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Argo
I think Big Ben was put in very good situation his first two years. Playing for a team with #1 defense, #1 running game and #1 o-line is as good as any quarterback can have it. He also had 3 great receivers. This year the defense and o-line is struggling and he also lost 2 of the 3 receivers. All this has brought him down to earth.

I don't think Big Ben is as bad as he looks right now but he was neither as good as he looked last 2 years.

That and sustaining three major concussions in less than 6 months.

He seriously SHOULD NOT be playing right now. The rate hes going hes going to have a very short career.