Ben Roethlisberger - Highly overrated?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottFern
extremely overrated. he will eventually become just another mediocore QB in the NFL who won that lucky Super Bowl. (Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer).

Very bad examples. Brad Johnson's season was amazing last year after Culpepper went down. He got a team that was dead in the water at 2-5 back into playoff contention by leading them to a 7-2 mark the rest of the way and holds the NFL record of 10 consecutive seasons of > 60% completions. And Dilfer, all he did was win 15 straight starts (and 20 of 21) before he got hurt and Hasselbeck established himself as a quality starting QB.

If you are going solely by stats...then Ben, Dilfer and Johnson look like the lucky by-products of whatever system they were lucky enough to have fallen into. If you go by results, they have all won more championships ( 1 ea) than Marino, Palmer, Manning, Moon, Kelly (and a continuingly long list) of "great" quaterbacks. I guess that means that those on that list are all horrible quaterbacks because they could never do ENOUGH to propel their team the last leg? (That is pure sarcasm and showing that the logic that calls these guys (that have won championships) overrated can be applied to show that those that didn't win them are losers because they couldn't do enough to win one)

Stats are important in fantasy football. Being a leader that can help by performing your role, no matter how many or few times your role is asked to be in the spotlight, is what matters in pro football.

Edit: Career record as starting QBs: Dilfer 57-50 (5-1 postseason) mostly with a HORRIFIC Bucs team....Johnson 65-43 (3rd best active win % of QBs >50 starts)....Roethlisberger 24-4.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
He had a QB rating in the 30's during Superbowl XL. He's proven time and time again that when the game is put onto his shoulders, he crumbles. Why do people hype this guy up?

I have two problems with this post:

(1) Roethlisberger is not highly rated, so there's no way possible he's highly overrated
(2) You say He's proven time and time again that when the game is put onto his shoulders, he crumbles.. I say He has a superbowl ring, what more can you ask of a starting QB?

Me thinks you're just jealous he gets more attention than Brady? Has it been too long since the media was comparing Brady to Montana, that you need to put down others to make you feel better? ;)

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Brady = 3 Rings, 2 Super Bowl MVP Awards, and a 10-1 Playoff record. Thanks for playing.

So it was that it'd been too long since the media tried sucking off Brady and you just need to put down another QB?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: ScottFern
extremely overrated. he will eventually become just another mediocore QB in the NFL who won that lucky Super Bowl. (Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer).
That's what I think, too.

I think time will prove that Philip Rivers is the best QB from that year's draft, by far.

He was better in college and will prove better in the NFL.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
very few QBs are going to do amazing if you ask them to throw 40+ times every game and don't have a consistent running game.

no one ever claimed he had amazing stats, but he won games and that is why people like him.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
...it should be noted that Ben came off surgery and smashing his face into the pavement after his motorcycle antics. We'll see how the teams are in week 8. It's too early to tell who's going where.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
He needs to find his rhythm. Steelers 06 is a completely different team than Steelers 05 and 04... and a lot was asked of Ben during the off-season. Any of the critics need to just look at what he's done so far in his career. "Getting lucky" and "playing for a good team" only applies so much I think.

Edit: And obviously I'm going to be biased because I've hung out with the dude (exaggerated, yes), but I can also put 2 and 2 together.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
He is worthless - and will be with a different team next year, if he's lucky..

And James3shin, you are either blind or extremely ignorant..

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I think the question has been answered.

:roll::roll:Oh yes... lets blame Roethlisberger for the loss because his offensive line cant block.:roll::roll:

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Originally posted by: sao123

:roll::roll:Oh yes... lets blame Roethlisberger for the loss because his offensive line cant block.:roll::roll:

The New England Patriots - America's Team!

The Dynasty Resumes in 2006

Eventually you'll figure out, that second only to the Dallas Cowboys, the Patriots is america's most hated team.

oCxTiTaN

May 7, 2004
He had a QB rating in the 30's during Superbowl XL.

22.6....not even in the 30's that's how much he sucked. The only TD pass thrown by Pittsburgh that game was Randle El lmao

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

So you blame that critical interception on the offensive line?

oCxTiTaN

May 7, 2004

He doesn't know when to get rid of the ball...a bad O-line doesn't mean you have to be sacked every time, he just can't think fast enough when under pressure ;)

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002

So you blame that critical interception on the offensive line?

The ciritical interception in which he was hit as he threw the ball making it not go as far as it should have? The reciever was open 10 yards farther down the field!
the guy had defensive lineman in his face all night. there was no pocket... no-one can throw accurately under that much pressure.