Ben Carson shares his opinion. States America should grow up.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I suspect he might not understand people aren't angry because they're offended. They are angry about systemic abuse for the last few hundred years and that anger is finally spilling over.
The confederate monuments are just local governments trying to placate angry citizens so they won't burn down government buildings.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

I suspect he might not understand people aren't angry because they're offended. They are angry about systemic abuse for the last few hundred years and that anger is finally spilling over.
The confederate monuments are just local governments trying to placate angry citizens so they won't burn down government buildings.
well most, if not all, confederate statues/monuments were erected for nefarious purposes so, like most republicans, he's full of shit.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I wonder what happened to Ben Carson. I read a biography (autobiography?) On him in 7th or 8th grade. He grew up poor, I remember that much. How could he completely ignore the things that held him back in his own youth?
Or perhaps his mentality is "I succeeded despite the odds so you should have to struggle as well" ☹️

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wonder what happened to Ben Carson. I read a biography (autobiography?) On him in 7th or 8th grade. He grew up poor, I remember that much. How could he completely ignore the things that held him back in his own youth?
Or perhaps his mentality is "I succeeded despite the odds so you should have to struggle as well" ☹

Or "I made it by being so great, so all good things come to those who try hard".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Conservatives made these statues in large part to intimidate and offend black people and now the conservative argument is that black people should grow up and not be offended by the actions they took?

Wouldn’t the real grown up thing to do be for conservatives to admit they made a mistake and tear them down together?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Conservatives made these statues in large part to intimidate and offend black people and now the conservative argument is that black people should grow up and not be offended by the actions they took?

Wouldn’t the real grown up thing to do be for conservatives to admit they made a mistake and tear them down together?
It's the same way conservatives treat the n-word. They created it to dehumanize and degrade us. Over time we co-opted it and it has become so toxic for white people, now they want to say nobody should use it.

Reactions: Pohemi
Mar 11, 2004
Lookit that, more racist shit by Republicans more Carson trotted out to spout nonsense. I just can't fathom why that might be...

Gotta love how he validates Republicans racist shit by acting exactly as stupid as they assume black people are. Which, maybe that's the problem, they're only around select few black people like him that act that way, so that's how they think black people are? Well aside from rap and athletes, but they hate the one while viewing the other as indentured servants (shutup and do your contract!).

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Or perhaps his mentality is "I succeeded despite the odds so you should have to struggle as well" ☹
Survivorship bias.

Nov 29, 2006

Imagine if you will....

twilightzone.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: nickqt and Pohemi

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Ben Carson has (or had at least) a hand-drawn picture in his living room of Jesus with an arm around...Ben Carson. That right there tells you the level of "divorced from reality" and sheer ego we are talking about with this guy.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Maybe it's the desire to "be one of the good ones".

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
It's the same way conservatives treat the n-word. They created it to dehumanize and degrade us. Over time we co-opted it and it has become so toxic for white people, now they want to say nobody should use it.

Personally, it's great that blacks co-opted the "N" word. Good for them!

The only problem I have with it is "my black friend", who is my next door neighbor, 25 and a great person, insists on calling me "My "N" word ending in "a" " every time he sees me. Guess I should be flattered, me being a 66 y.o. white dude. He does say it with great affection. It's just I cannot bring myself to return that compliment due to outside crap from other blacks. We've discussed it many times, in fact, and even though YH says he encourages me to use the phrase, I am adamant that I shall probably never use it, even in private. I know, my own problem, but it is what it is.

I usually respond "My Neighbor!", which, when spoken quickly, kinda images his greeting. Such is life.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I used to think that brain surgeons had to be really smart. Ben Carson has destroyed that image.

I would imagine that to be a good surgeon one would need to be extremely calm and steady and you can’t get much calmer and steadier than Carson.

Reactions: soundforbjt

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Agree with eski's point above. I would add to that I don't buy Carson's slippery slope argument either. Certain Universities having a historical affiliation with slavery is not the same thing as these monuments. The very existence of the university in present day doesn't imply approval of slavery the way glorifying its proponents with monuments does.

Carson is only right on the general point. Sure, liberals are sometimes offended by things which they shouldn't be offended by. This just isn't one of those cases so it is a bad example to make that point.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Agree with eski's point above. I would add to that I don't buy Carson's slippery slope argument either. Certain Universities having a historical affiliation with slavery is not the same thing as these monuments. The very existence of the university in present day doesn't imply approval of slavery the way glorifying its proponents with monuments does.

Carson is only right on the general point. Sure, liberals are sometimes offended by things which they shouldn't be offended by. This just isn't one of those cases so it is a bad example to make that point.

Yes, people are absolutely too sensitive sometimes but 'monument to mass enslavement based on the idea your race is subhuman' is something I'm very comfortable with people being offended by.

Reactions: Fenixgoon