Bellicheat: "We've been taping since 2000"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
I'm still confused why the Gov't gives a fuck about this OR the roid use in baseball.

because otherwise they might have to face up to the dismal job they did with the important stuff.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Superself
Sen. Arlen Specter is in bed with the cable companies (Comcast Cable) and really is just trying to put pressure on the NFL to allow the NFL network on the paid tier.

I am affraid this is right on the money...

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
The NFL enjoys an antitrust exemption, as does MLB.

O/P you are correct in your observations about BB, and this will be his legacy. How very sad for the true Patriots fans, a lifetime of futility followed by a short period of succes that will be forever tarnished.

jiggahertz

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Sqube
Actually, I thought they were curious because the NFL (or is it baseball?) has some sort no-competition clause, or a clause that makes them exempt from monopoly status, or something along those lines.

If they're all being douchebags, then that can get revoked. Or something. I dunno, I'm not too clear on the specifics of the situation.

Yes, I believe this is the reason they give to doing senate investigations of professional sports. It still seems like a waste of time though.

microAmp

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2000
I'm still confused why the Gov't gives a fuck about this OR the roid use in baseball.

From what I understood from another post was the NFL uses the air waves to broadcast their games. Since the air waves belong to the people, the government is allowed to question it.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Goodell also admitted during Probowl week while investigating the 2002 Super Bowl that it was discovered that the Rams were caught filming the Pat's practices. A reason why Ram's coach Dick Vermeil states that if the Pats also did it, it made no difference in the outcome of the game and that it's been going on for a long time.

Specter has also admitted that he's doing this b/c of Philly/Pats Superbowl.

FYI, Vermeil wasn't the coach of the Rams for that Superbowl and in fact he was the coach of the KC Chiefs that year and hadn't been with the Rams since the 2000 Superbowl. So I don't think he could accurately state what kind of effect that had on the team.

Please provide the link where Roger Godell says that the Rams were taping Patriots practices, I have done a lot of googling and I can't find it.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: MrChad
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
This could explain the reason Belichick goes from sub-par (.450 win pct) fired coach in Cleveland to "mastermind" in N.E.

If that's the reason, how did his team go 18-1 this year when any and all videotaping ended after the first game of the season?

Guess they forgot to tape the Giants defensive signals :laugh:

yeah since the giants swept them this year...

Shit, almost beat em before the playoffs and beat em when it mattered - and THAT'S what matters.

and htat has nothing to do with what you said. heh

Fuck the patriots. That's what I said. :p

:thumbsup:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0EU1O-hGxgg

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: KK

I agree, this has nothing to do with anything remotely government related. I'd tell spector to fvck off. It's the NFL job to deal with this just as it's MLB's job to deal with its steriods sh1t.

Because all the major Pro Sports leagues in the US have varying degress anti-trust exemptions from Congress.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH
Sen. Arlen Specter is in bed with the cable companies (Comcast Cable) and really is just trying to put pressure on the NFL to allow the NFL network on the paid tier.

Spector believes the NFL has broken its anti-trust agreement.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH

I'd be interested to read more about this, I know Comcast is based out of Philly.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Are people ever going to stop crying about this? Unbelievable.

We're laughing. You're crying.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
You know, you're so clever for using Belicheat in your title. You should try writing professionally for a comedy tv show or something.

Seriously, who gives a fuck about this? There are plenty of other coaches who do/have done this in the past and it's not exactly a secret. I don't understand how you guys can become so fixated on hatred for a guy who really doesn't deserve it. If you want a team/man to hate, hate the Yankees and Steinbrenner. Belichick has lightyears to go before catching up to him.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Are people ever going to stop crying about this? Unbelievable.

We're laughing. You're crying.

Heh. See sig.

:thumbsup:

PaulNEPats is a baby who is getting what he deserved - watching him cry is funny :D

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: aplefka
You know, you're so clever for using Belicheat in your title. You should try writing professionally for a comedy tv show or something.

Seriously, who gives a fuck about this? There are plenty of other coaches who do/have done this in the past and it's not exactly a secret. I don't understand how you guys can become so fixated on hatred for a guy who really doesn't deserve it. If you want a team/man to hate, hate the Yankees and Steinbrenner. Belichick has lightyears to go before catching up to him.

Yeah, don't complain about the cheater, complain about the guy who was willing to spend money so his team would win... :confused:

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Sorry if this is a repost....did a quick search and didn't get any hits.

This could explain the reason Belichick goes from sub-par (.450 win pct) fired coach in Cleveland to "mastermind" in N.E.

I also wonder how much of Brady's mystic is due to his knowing the other team's defensive signals before each game?

Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

"There were a great many questions answered by Commissioner Goodell," Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters after the meeting. "I found a lot of questions unanswerable because of the tapes and notes had been destroyed."

Goodell said Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal; Goodell said he did not concur.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach," the commissioner said. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts."

Specter, from Pennsylvania, wants to talk to other league officials about what exactly was taped and which games may have been compromised.

"We have a right to have honest football games," he said.

Goodell noted that "we were the ones that disclosed" the Patriots' illegal taping of the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1 of last season. Further, Goodell said, they had an admission by Belichick.

"I have nothing to hide," Goodell said.

Goodell also told Specter that that he doesn't regret destroying the Spygate tapes or the notes.

"I think it was the right thing to do," Goodell said.
More background story here

Don't get how so many people think Brady was a scrub in college that benefited in the NFL due to cheating. The guy has been engineering comebacks and taking apart defenses since college, and in his last college game took apart the SEC's best defense in the 2000 Orange Bowl. He was drafted low because he was scrawny at the time and ran an horrible 40, but there was never any question that the guy was a gamer.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Threads like these make me even more glad the Patriots lost at least one game. You know that if they had finished the season 19-0 people would be wanting to put an * next to the record.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19

Yeah, don't complain about the cheater, complain about the guy who was willing to spend money so his team would win... :confused:
LOL Mangina and the Jets did it too and they couldn't even win with that slight advantage.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I'm sorry, I don't think this thread is for me, there seems to be a whole lotta manlove here.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: jman19

LOL Mangina and the Jets did it too and they couldn't even win with that slight advantage.

Yeah, the Jets suck.

What does that have to do with aplefka's crappy argument?