Bellicheat: "We've been taping since 2000"

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Sorry if this is a repost....did a quick search and didn't get any hits.

This could explain the reason Belichick goes from sub-par (.450 win pct) fired coach in Cleveland to "mastermind" in N.E.

I also wonder how much of Brady's mystic is due to his knowing the other team's defensive signals before each game?

Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

"There were a great many questions answered by Commissioner Goodell," Specter, the senior Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters after the meeting. "I found a lot of questions unanswerable because of the tapes and notes had been destroyed."

Goodell said Belichick told him he believed the taping was legal; Goodell said he did not concur.

"He said that's always been his interpretation since he's been the head coach," the commissioner said. "We are going to agree to disagree on the facts."

Specter, from Pennsylvania, wants to talk to other league officials about what exactly was taped and which games may have been compromised.

"We have a right to have honest football games," he said.

Goodell noted that "we were the ones that disclosed" the Patriots' illegal taping of the New York Jets' defensive signals in Week 1 of last season. Further, Goodell said, they had an admission by Belichick.

"I have nothing to hide," Goodell said.

Goodell also told Specter that that he doesn't regret destroying the Spygate tapes or the notes.

"I think it was the right thing to do," Goodell said.
More background story here

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
This could explain the reason Belichick goes from sub-par (.450 win pct) fired coach in Cleveland to "mastermind" in N.E.

If that's the reason, how did his team go 18-1 this year when any and all videotaping ended after the first game of the season?

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChad

If that's the reason, how did his team go 18-1 this year when any and all videotaping ended after the first game of the season?

Guess they forgot to tape the Giants defensive signals :laugh:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Josh

yeah since the giants swept them this year...

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

and the reason they have won every Super Bowl under him?

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

Shit, almost beat em before the playoffs and beat em when it mattered - and THAT'S what matters.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Shit, almost beat em before the playoffs and beat em when it mattered - and THAT'S what matters.

and htat has nothing to do with what you said. heh

Superself

Jun 7, 2001
Sen. Arlen Specter is in bed with the cable companies (Comcast Cable) and really is just trying to put pressure on the NFL to allow the NFL network on the paid tier.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000

and htat has nothing to do with what you said. heh

Fuck the patriots. That's what I said. :p

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Who cares. Let them all tape...

Some old coaches have already come out and admitted they taped as well. Seems it was more common then people think.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Why the hell are American politicians so interested in what goes on in the professional sports fields? Interests in sports books or something? It is all such a publicity stunt.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Could someone provide a background on what exactly "taping defensive signals" is and means? All I know is that Jim Jones admitted to doing it and he said that all the other coaches were doing it in his time. I don't understand how this gives a team a massive edge over their opponents. I thought that all teams changed the signals every now and then so that opponents could not memorize them. I also would like to know because Belichick has continued to say that he "misinterpreted the rules" which is confusing.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
The Pats are accused of actually taping pre-game practices/workouts. This is when teams are not in uniform and are working on the "script" of their first x plays (some teams script out say the first 5-10 plays and will not deviate from that script) or they are working on new plays that they haven't run previously and wouldn't be on previous game tapes for a team to prepare for.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Goodell also admitted during Probowl week while investigating the 2002 Super Bowl that it was discovered that the Rams were caught filming the Pat's practices. A reason why Ram's coach Dick Vermeil states that if the Pats also did it, it made no difference in the outcome of the game and that it's been going on for a long time.

Specter has also admitted that he's doing this b/c of Philly/Pats Superbowl.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
I'm still confused why the Gov't gives a fuck about this OR the roid use in baseball.

Because they have 12 months a year to kill and demagoguing silly crap like this fills time. If not engaged in this they would just be studying new and unique ways to screw with us over some other inane issues they ginned up.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'm still confused why the Gov't gives a fuck about this OR the roid use in baseball.

I agree, this has nothing to do with anything remotely government related. I'd tell spector to fvck off. It's the NFL job to deal with this just as it's MLB's job to deal with its steriods sh1t.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Actually, I thought they were curious because the NFL (or is it baseball?) has some sort no-competition clause, or a clause that makes them exempt from monopoly status, or something along those lines.

If they're all being douchebags, then that can get revoked. Or something. I dunno, I'm not too clear on the specifics of the situation.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you. It's not like they don't have real problems they could be working on.

Although I guess if any country had a large portion of the public stupid enough to consider sports more important than, say, for example, constitutional rights, it'd be this one.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
This cheating bullshit is getting old. They taped just like most other teams in the past including Jimmy Johnson and his cowboys. Why cant we get over this by now?

That being said, I loved the superbowl and belichump running off the field before the end of the game.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: ja1484

Thank you. It's not like they don't have real problems they could be working on.

Although I guess if any country had a large portion of the public stupid enough to consider sports more important than, say, for example, constitutional rights, it'd be this one.

Britney Spears, roids, elections, sports, etc... smoking mirrors my friend.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Patt
Why the hell are American politicians so interested in what goes on in the professional sports fields? Interests in sports books or something? It is all such a publicity stunt.

Yeah, I can't figure that out either. Why on earth would possible drug users (steroids/hgh) fucking testifiy in congress about drug use. That boggles my mind.