Believe It, Or Don't! --- Puzzler --- The Answer!

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
The promoter of a race wants the contestants to have exceptional or even record setting lower times, so he increases the distance that the contestants must run by about 30 feet.

What kind of race is it?

See my last post for the answer.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Triathlon, and he decreases the swimming distance by the same amount?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
They are training for a race in the future. By running more now, they will get better time later.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
1. A race for cows where they keep track how many times they moo.

Low = The characteristic sound uttered by cattle; a moo

2. A race for snails. Where they must finish the race before they can have a beer. So they are very sad (or having a low time).

3. A race to see who can dive the deepest.

4. A slow race. Come on, you know you've had "road rage" because of being behind these guys!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Wait, I think I got it!

A DC race where you have to line up computers to fill a length of tables, and complete a certain amount of work. More computers are needed to fill a longer length of tables, meaning the race is done (much) faster! :)

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Wait, I think I got it!

A DC race where you have to line up computers to fill a length of tables, and complete a certain amount of work. More computers are needed to fill a longer length of tables, meaning the race is done (much) faster! :)

These contestants are alive and running the longer distance and achieving faster times.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Here is the answer.

It is a Thoroughbred horse race. In these races, the starting time is not started until some point forward of the starting gate. The distance to this point varies by track. Usually it is withing a few feet. You can tell where it is by watching where the flagman is positioned near the gate.

Years ago at Longacres race track near Seattle, they would move the starting gate back a number of feet on Mile Day. This would result in faster times for all one mile races that day. The extra distance allows the horses to get closer to their running speed before the timing starts.

The effect is to remove the acceleration times from the timed part of the race.

I have seen a number of track records and one world record set in this manner.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Future horses, running a marathon, running downhill, with computers makes sense to me too. :)

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
No. They run the exact distance and the timer starts when the gun goes off and ends when the winner hits the tape.

What I should have said is that the race was changed from 100 yards to 100 meters, or in other words from an obsolete distance to one where times & records matter.