Being good at a game and having fun.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Is it even possible?

I find that the better I get at a game the less fun I have playing it.

It's to the point now that I don't even want to play anything anymore because in the end something about the game just kills the fun for me after a while.

Anyone else notice a correlation between higher skill = lower fun?

I definitely see your point, but I don't see it as being less fun, just more intense/stressful when you get good at a game. But to me that's not really a bad thing, because I tend to have more fun when I get to the point where I'm really good with the game, contrasting to me getting pissed off more often than not when I'm sucking.

Back when I played WOW, I did a lot of PVP during The Burning Crusades expansion. It was so hard and stressful trying to earn the high enough rating to get my shoulders, but when I finally did, it felt like such an accomplishment.

Now, I mostly play BF3, and after a couple of hours of trying to do my best and playing to win, I like to join a Metro 24/7 server and just spam shit for a few games before I call it a night, can be very therapeutic.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I would suspect that the OP is getting overly competitive and that is the reason why their fun is going down. If the reason that they are playing is tied to how good they are doing against others, that can make it almost feel like a job. If the obsession to do better overshadows the actual fun of the game itself, it can have exactly the effect that they are describing.

Recommend that they go back to playing the game for the fun of the game itself. Don't worry about having to be the best at everything. Just enjoy the game elements for the fun of it rather than defeating other players.

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
Is it even possible?

It's to the point now that I don't even want to play anything anymore because in the end something about the game just kills the fun for me after a while.

Maybe you're just getting older and more particular? That's the case with me as I've been a computer gamer since the 8 bit era. I've seen so many genres/titles come and go. Technology has vastly improved but for the most part games just keep getting rehashed and repeated. It's rare anymore that someone comes out with something that's truly unique and never been done before but it does happen.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
As for single player:
No one will admit it, but Fallout 3 and Skyrim are their most fun when you have no idea how anything works and shit has to be learned from scratch.

I agree pretty much. Fallout 3 /NV are the most fun when you are starting out and building your way up. Once you have alot of powerful weapons and are maxed out on skills, the game loses that "explorer" and "conqueror" feel that makes the game fun.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I agree pretty much. Fallout 3 /NV are the most fun when you are starting out and building your way up. Once you have alot of powerful weapons and are maxed out on skills, the game loses that "explorer" and "conqueror" feel that makes the game fun.

I found it best to not put too many points into weapons skills until much later in the game. The beauty of that is putting points into utility skills makes routine work like looting a lot easier and faster.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I would suspect that the OP is getting overly competitive and that is the reason why their fun is going down. If the reason that they are playing is tied to how good they are doing against others, that can make it almost feel like a job. If the obsession to do better overshadows the actual fun of the game itself, it can have exactly the effect that they are describing.

Recommend that they go back to playing the game for the fun of the game itself. Don't worry about having to be the best at everything. Just enjoy the game elements for the fun of it rather than defeating other players.

This is basically the problem. I am overly competitive. I can feel pissed off and like I'm doing horrible in a round of BF3 and check the score and have 40 more kills than the next person on my team, and 1/4 the amount of deaths.

I still get royally pissed whenever I die or something doesn't go my way. I'm not really a stat whore, just obsessed with doing better than any other person in the server.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Once I can consistently get over the 50% mark of competency in a game is when I get bored. The biggest problem is I rarely play in betas and have to learn how to play after release.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
No-one has presented that as the choice, though.

I'm someone and I did so congrats on being wrong? People who suck at video games don't play video games and we all know there's no point in playing a game without sufficient challenge involved. Dim response for a dim quandary.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
BF3 is what stopped being fun for me, but I think it's 100% due to the fact that in every server I join I'm the one competent person out of 64 players on my team against 46 decent players.

I enjoy metro/CQC maps because my team means nothing and I can dominate.

Try playing against real players, it's more fun. ;)

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
By agreeing to him you admit it. By admitting it, you disagree with him. Your post has created paradox and we will soon all be dead as the universe collapses in on itself.

But yeah, I agree with the statement, but I don't agree that no one will admit it.

Don't forget your umbrella, it could save you as the universe collapses under the paradoxal pressure.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Climbing towards your skill cap can be fun. Once you reach it then part of your journey is over and that can be a rather sad affair, with less room to grow.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
My main experiences with being "good" at a game were with Quake 2 multiplayer. After years of playing, I would sometimes get frustrated when I wasn't playing as well as I expected, or knew I could play, so in those times, when I was frustrated, I wasn't having fun. Had I sucked at the game, I probably wouldn't have had expectations and could have enjoyed it more.

That said, when I was just having fun, not really stressing about playing well, etc., that was actually when I played my best. Now, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Was I having fun because I was playing well, or did I start playing well because I was just focused on having fun?

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Perhaps you're on to something. But I think it comes down to how you feel about the game. I got BF3 for the xbox to play with friends. I admit I'm terrible. I don't remember being so piss poor at fps, but then again I never really competitively gamed with it before. Majority of my FPSing was the original halflife single player, or a bit of UT3 in lan parties. I still blame the controller :eek:

I eventually got better, but I still only enjoy it with friends. Thus I suspect I enjoy playing with friends, and not BF3. A game you enjoy would be fun training up to that competive level.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Is it even possible?

Game's are typically becoming easier and easier, and therefor quicker to get better at them and also quicker to get bored with them. If you've exhausted all opportunities to challenge yourself in a game, then it's time to move on.

There are those out there that are perfectly content with being able to "win" repeatedly. To each their own.