Being fourteen during the summer sucks!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Anyway most advice given are good. Do someone else's dirty work if you are lacking cash. And save! Have a buffer for savings or a CD just in case.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I did my classical course in a Jesuit High School. They really nurture one's brain. :)

The first time I went to a coeducational school was after high school (CEGEP). It was strange sitting next to a girl in school for the first time at 17. :)

Brown-Eyed Girl (El Chicano)

Terp

Banned
Jun 16, 2000
...I have some yardwork I have been putting off....I'll pay for more than McD's will pay =)

...and you have your whole life to work...enjoy the time you have while you are young =) I used to work, but I grew tired of it over time; thus, I went back to college to get a couple more degrees...Maybe I'll get a job in 2002, who knows :)

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
{AMD 750MHZ}{Abit KA7}{Maxtor 30G @ 7200rpm}{256M Centron PC100 RAM}{SBLive! X-Gamer}{CSW DTT2500 5.1 Surround}{Gladiac GF2}{Creative 52X OEM}{Antec 300w smart fan P/S}{3Com/USR 56K v.90 EXT}

You sure you haven't had a job longer?

Terp

Banned
Jun 16, 2000
I haven't worked in over a year...god bless the G.I. Bill and Stanford loans :) They just keep throwing me money, so who am I to complain? :)

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
AMD,

The opportunities at your age are far fewer now then when some of us were that young. You can thank Nanny Government for that.

Russ, NCNE

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
AMD, the best job you could probably get is physical labor. There are some places that let you mow the lawn (such as stores and stuff) and pay really well. I have a 14 year old friend that gets about $200 a week for mowing the lawn of his uncle's business (don't ask me what business). I think McDonald's might hire at that age, but I'm not sure. I know they hire at 15.

judgejudy

Nov 15, 1999
AMD, the best thing you could do this summer is take
a programming class, or an internet web class, so that you could prepare yourself for future jobs at a young age and have something to build upon. Just go to your local community college (if its not too late) and sign up. It's better than wasting your summer doing unproductive things!

14 may suck, but 15 is even worse!

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
jj: I've been trying to get my parents to get an A+ study guide, but they're really lazy in the "get me" department, even after all they owe me. It really sucks. :|

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I know what it's like...

It would be nice to have an A+ certificate, but hey who cares... I am writing for UnrealPC and htat's good enough.. my summer is almost over, so getting an outdoor summer job is impossible by now.. I worked a few weekends at the beginning of the summer and made $11,11/hour :D

This year I will be going into Grade 11 - my last year of high school.. so I plan on making the best of it and getting good grades (hell I get good grades without trying in HS, so getting "good" grades shouldn't be tough), then at the very beginning of summer I will jub-hunt, and hopefully work the entire summer and make at least $3K and save it up, go to CEGEP (college) for eitehr 2 or 3 years (depending on if I take a pre-university course or a career program).. then we'll see what happens. All the while I plan to write for UnrealPC - who knows, maybe that will develop into an actual job and I'll have it made :p

ioverclockmymouse

Jul 16, 2000
Hehe I had another message on a different area kinda on this topic:Hey, I am 15 years old and know a lot about computers in general, programming and hardware. I am lucky because my dad is founder of a few software companies and was able to get a job writing Java. Not everyone is as lucky, and there should be like an organization for young adults in the tech field...Any ideas? Maybe a site should be put up. Or groups to do things like Anand since the web is so big now, and wasn't as massive when he started. Email me if you would like at taras@ivc.com

0beron

Jun 1, 2000
Try starting your own business.
Writing web pages and man whoring comes to mind.

Terp

Banned
Jun 16, 2000
True, just pick up a copy of "Deuce Gigolo" and do what he does...He was bagging $10.00 a trick :)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ahhh, the summer of when I was 14 was spent at the beach at the bridge by the river of my small town. I had such a dark tan that it lasted me through the cold Canadian winter!

This could be your last summer off for the rest of your life, find a beach, climb a mountain, hike/bike some trails, have fun!! :D

KidViciou$

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
it truly is WHO you know.

at 16, i work in a HUGE retirement corporations. http://www.icmarc.org they have me working on a project using oracle and (edit) powerbuilder!

i got the job because one of my favorite teachers is married to the VP of the company, so he got me the job.

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
AMD Junkie, I'd have never guessed you were 14 years old! Especially with the icon you're using. I guess I must have missed your post at the "How old are you?" thread.

At 14, I believe I was helping my neighbor (who owned a flower shop) with anything she happened to need help with. The pay wasn't all that great, but it was something..... I also had a paper route that I wasn't real fond of, but it was something..... Also helped out at a local pet shop, although I didn't earn any money, it was fun!

There's stuff out there you can do, you just have to show a little motivation and creativity. You may not earn as fast as you'd like to but save what you get! -kd5-

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
Yeah and being 13 sux just as bad. The only thing I do for money is mow and mow and mow. But I only make about 60-80 bucks a month doing that. I have saved up a lot of money but I think I'll leave that be until I can drive and then gas will be a bigger priority than anything.f