Being fourteen during the summer sucks!

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
I can't get a real job! I always wanted to get a job so I can make some cash (my parents owe me $430, fat chance that'll ever get paid), but I have to be fifteen or something to get hired at even Taco Bell! This AMD K6-2 isn't going to be upgraded to a Duron all by itself.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
when I was that old I delivered papers,mowed lawns,babysat and kept score at the local bowling alley...too bad they have auto scorekeepers now... I used to make $20-$30 on the weekend keeping score + $100 a month at my paper route and then probably $20-$30 a month babysitting... thats pretty good money for a kid in 1974

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Do odd jobs for people, my grandfather always told me: Be good with your hands, because there is always someone with money willing to pay you to do what they do not want to do.

Mow lawns, clean gutters, wash windows, detail cars, etc. And remember this, CASH only, that way the IRS can't trace it.

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Carl the lawnmower man has already done that himself, ulfwald. My parents only pay me $10 to mow the lawn and I haven't seen a bill in years. Oh, but I'd love to get any job, even the nasty and dirty ones.

Cable

Oct 11, 1999
amd: thats what you think. i was so interested in getting a job i didn't give a damn what kind of job i got. i got a job. it sucks so badly. i haven't even been working two months now and i have called in sick three times (two which were real sicknesss) one which was too tired via partying the night before. well anyways. you'll soon see how junk it is to have to work. seriously. enjoy your child hood.

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Hello! Wake up! I'm going to high school! An all-boy high school! And it's costing my parents quite a bit! Any job right now is better than that.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Just make sure you're cut out to tolerate the job you're thinking of applying for. I made that mistake when I went to work at Dierbergs before last summer. I ended up quitting because after six months, every time I asked &quot;Paper or plastic?&quot; I got sick to my stomach.

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Try doing tech support for people, offer tutoring for money. 20.00-25.00 per hour, min 2 hour session. It has been proven that getting paid for what you know pays more than grunt work.

I just mentioned the physical labor because that's they way i made my money.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
You MUST be kidding. Sure, it's a great job for, say, two months. After that, pretending to smile and asking the same three-word question over and over and over and over for eights hours straight every day begins to wear on you.

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
I went to a Catholic school, it takes an 18-wheeler to wear me down, and that's after the first warm-up hits.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I went to a Catholic school, too. And I'm about to finish up at a Jesuit highschool. I know all about wearing down. :)

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
&quot;Paper or plastic?&quot; I got sick to my stomach.

Why ask? Paper bags are a b|tch, and they cost the store lots of $$$. I just go with the plastic, and try my best to ignore the customer if they want paper :)

xero

May 1, 2000
hmm.why the hell would you want a job at 14?! i did when i was 14...then decided &quot;fsck that....im still young..mommy buys my stuff...i dont need a job&quot;....and then i didn't get a job till i turned 16 and had to pay for gas for my car and car insurance and sh!t...im 17 now..and i have a job at a Kwik Kar Lube and Tune place...its not easy work...i work monday thru friday 8am to 6pm..trust me...stay a kid..you dont need a job yet!

Terp

Banned
Jun 16, 2000
...try being 30 in the summer living near VA Beach with no job :)

At least at 16, you can hit on these 17 year old hotties

PS...Work is overrated, so I hear.

Jun 18, 2000
Hmm...I'm reminded of the old saying, &quot;Its not what you know. Its who you know.&quot;

My best friends neighbor owns a small software company that writes MSDS authoring software. My best friend put in a good word for me and I got an interview within a couple of days and was hired on the spot. Mainly I do tech support and earn a decent wage. http://www.hsesystems.com <--- the companies web site

My point you ask? Well ask around. See if any family members or older friends that own/work at a company can put in a good word for you.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Terp, so.. they be some good lookin 17 yr olds at VA Beach eh? I'm headed there next week :) Too bad it's with my family.. grrr.

Ah well, as for the job thing, I've just graduated, I really should work, but #1: i'm gunna be working for quite some time after/during college... #2: i'm lazy.. BUT.. #3: damn computers cost money :p

And how can you go to an all boys school, I think I'd go insane.

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999

<< mommy buys my stuff >>

I knew she wasn't keeping up her end of the bargain!

I actually do have a job writing at a mag, but it still hasn't gone to press, so I won't see money anytime soon from that.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
being young sucks :) 18 is a sweet age here (you can do everything then), in the US the sweet spot would have to be 21 though (cus of the drinking age, hehe).

all-boys high school? SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!! :( sorry man :(

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999

<< You MUST be kidding. Sure, it's a great job for, say, two months. After that, pretending to smile and asking the same three-word question over and over and over and over for eights hours straight every day begins to wear on you.
>>

Not to mention going outside in the heat to drag a buttload of carts in and not to mention doing the odd jobs they have for you like cleaning and emptying trash cans, bathrooms, sweep the store, check under the isles because some odd number of cans are under the isle shelves, dusting, &quot;paper or plastic...&quot;

Oh joy! :p

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
I do all of that when I clean up after the two hurricanes that run around in my house. At least I'll get paid for it!