Being black sucks (at least for me)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: edro13
Have you seen that new commercial where the woman and daughter are at the playground. The little black girl says "Hey, come play with us." (Those kids are all black), and as she is walking aver there the mom says, "Wouldn't you rather play with those kids?" (The kids she points at are all white) Then the little girl says "Why?". Then the voice over guy says "Imagine the power of one voice."

That commercial is so true... Your parents are the ones who spread racism. A child has no discretion either way, it is the culture, parents, and peers which shape them.
Yep, let's air a commercial about evil whitey. Lord knows there are no racist black people.
rolleye.gif

The same people make a commercial showing a white high school student approaching a table of black girls at lunch. She asks one of the girls what time she wants to meet up to work on a school project, and the other black girls start berating the white girl about her race, and tell her to go hang out with the white girls. The white girl smiles and leaves. The black girl she was talking to stands up and asks the other black girls with force, "What's your problem?!?" She then rolls her eyes and goes after her friend.

So yes, the commercial series has focused on discrimination going both ways.
Oh, I've never seen it. Sounds fine then. I just assumed (yes, I know, makes an ass out of me) that it was yet another slam on whitey. I guess anti-white rhetoric belongs mainly to Disney now.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkitech
Somedays I feel like I come from another planet. I'm not black enough for some people and not white enough for others.

One of my co-workers (who is black) labeled me a sell-out because I did'nt use slang and I listened to rock music every now and then. Another co-worker of mine (who is white) once told me that some of the other people in the office were intimidated by me. That really floored me because 98% of the time I'm always in a good mood. I always go out of my way to hold a door for someone or just try to greet people in my work area. But yet some people still refuse to talk me if I say good afternoon, certain women hold their purses tighter when I get on the elevator. Its maddening, I just wish people would see me for a human being instead of a black guy.

and before anyone asks, no I do not:

wear braided hair
drive a vehicle with flashy rims and tinted windows
listen to Nelly, 50 Cents, Ja Rule and whoever the latest thug rapper currently is
use ebonics
smoke weed/grass
blast music while driving
wear extremely baggy pants that fall off of my waist
wear shirts with the designers name imprinted on the front or back
sell drugs
have a parole officer

Am I suppose to feel sorry for you?

WyteWatt

Banned
Jun 8, 2001
Arkitech no matter what color someone is in my book they are treated all the same! No different at all. I don't care if someone was green, purple, yellow, blue, etc because they would still be treated the same in my book. Everyone is equal. No matter who you are.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Trinitron
Somedays I feel like I come from another planet. I'm not black enough for some people and not white enough for others.

One of my co-workers (who is black) labeled me a sell-out because I did'nt use slang and I listened to rock music every now and then. Another co-worker of mine (who is white) once told me that some of the other people in the office were intimidated by me. That really floored me because 98% of the time I'm always in a good mood. I always go out of my way to hold a door for someone or just try to greet people in my work area. But yet some people still refuse to talk me if I say good afternoon, certain women hold their purses tighter when I get on the elevator. Its maddening, I just wish people would see me for a human being instead of a black guy.

and before anyone asks, no I do not:

wear braided hair
drive a vehicle with flashy rims and tinted windows
listen to Nelly, 50 Cents, Ja Rule and whoever the latest thug rapper currently is
use ebonics
smoke weed/grass
blast music while driving
wear extremely baggy pants that fall off of my waist
wear shirts with the designers name imprinted on the front or back
sell drugs
have a parole officer

Am I suppose to feel sorry for you?

you can feel what ever you choose to feel; amusement, disgust, joy

I just felt like airing out some thoughts

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Spike Lee came to my university a few weeks ago.

He gave a pretty good talk, and I respect his opinions even if I don't agree with them. But he said some pretty damn illogical things. After his speech he had a little Q&A session. Spike came down to hard on a guy who asked spike about ?American? culture and ?African-American? culture. The only reason he differentiated the two is because Spike was always talking about the lack of ?African-American culture being displayed on movies and television?. So the guy says American culture and suddenly Spike thinks that guy doesn?t think African-Americans contribute to American culture. It was totally obvious to me and most of the audience i'm sure that he didn't imply in any way that the african american culture hasn't influenced american culture, but spike railed pretty hard on him. I thought that was pretty asinine.

It was good when he talked about how young "african-americans" (He never ONCE used the word black) feel pressured into being ja rule 50 cent wannabe's, and if they try to get somewhere their peers drag them down (much like the story above). But he contradicted himself a whole lot.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Had a black friend who used to listen to Elton John, the Beach Boys and he used to go to a disco club in Greensboro. He also had a John Deere credit card....

He was far more white than me, even sounded whiter than me on the phone

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Oh and trinitron i'd tell this to you in the other thread if it wasn't locked.

I'd like to beat your ass into oblivion whether you're gay straight white black purple orange inside out right side up. Your life must really suck. I'm sorry you're incapable of holding a semi intelligent conversation on something controversial. Instead you just ASS U ME they're playing the 'woe is me" card.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Alienwho

I'd like to beat your ass into oblivion whether you're gay straight white black purple orange inside out right side up. Your life must really suck. I'm sorry you're incapable of holding a semi intelligent conversation on something controversial. Instead you just ASS U ME they're playing the 'woe is me" card.

Grow up man. Every race takes crap, EVERYONE reguardless of race TAKES CRAP! Thats life pal, this ain't a joy ride and guess what not EVERYONE is gonna like you. So bitch and MOAN LIKE A CHILD if you want to, threaten me LIKE A LITTLE CHILD would if you want to, thats your own business but don't come to ME BITCHING and MOANING because EVERYONE takes crap man, get it in your head! To say that being a certain way SUCKS because someone calls you a sellout just proves you ARE a sellout! Damn man have some SELF PRIDE, have some SELF-ESTEME! That thread I made wasn't out of HATE or ANGER, it was showing that EVERYONE takes crap not just a black guy or a white guy. So go ahead and GROW UP!

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Booster
Being black sucks (at least for me)

C'mon the color of the skin means nothing in life. I'm 'white' as they say... But my position is very, very bad. I'd rather be black, literally.

Ever heard of DWB? Driving while Black? Cause enough to be pulled over and have your car searched and your tags ran.

I know what you are saying though. It really depends on how you carry yourself. If you act or look like a thug, than people will treat you like one. There are still going to be a few that will associate all the evils of society with young black males, cept Tiger Woods of course. There will be those African Americans that think every successful black person is a sellout and an uncle Tom*cough* Bob Marley *cough*. Let's just hope they kill each other off and then we can all live in peace.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AUMM
I usually try to not let it get to me but its tough sometimes. Just a few weeks ago my wife and I were looking at some new homes in a new subdivision in a suburb of Chicago and the lady who was showing the homes actually told us "would'nt you be more comfortable living in an area with your own kind". I was so mad that I just left without saying a word. It would be so nice if people were treated by their actions instead of appearances.

wat the hell, i didnt know people still did crap like that. i live in so cal and i never see things like that anymore

"What the fvck is he doing over here?"

My partner approached the man who was much smaller than he. Without ANY discussion or warning, my partner walked up to the pedestrian and knocked him unconcious with a single crashing blow to the jaw. The young man's arms flew in the air as he smacked the sidewalk spread-eagled on his back, out cold. My partner said: "You can't teach those fvcking awesome people a thing. Remember, it's us against them."

LAPD 2001.

Yeah it doesn't exist in So Cal at all.
rolleye.gif

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001

Grow up man. Every race takes crap, EVERYONE reguardless of race TAKES CRAP! Thats life pal, this ain't a joy ride and guess what not EVERYONE is gonna like you. So bitch and MOAN LIKE A CHILD if you want to, threaten me LIKE A LITTLE CHILD would if you want to, thats your own business but don't come to ME BITCHING and MOANING because EVERYONE takes crap man, get it in your head! To say that being a certain way SUCKS because someone calls you a sellout just proves you ARE a sellout! Damn man have some SELF PRIDE, have some SELF-ESTEME! That thread I made wasn't out of HATE or ANGER, it was showing that EVERYONE takes crap not just a black guy or a white guy. So go ahead and GROW UP!
And do you think you're helping to make it better? I think you're the one who needs to grow up. I'm a white college student and you don't think that I have ever gotten crap before? Nobody said that only black people take crap, why don't you get it through your head. "To say that being a certain way SUCKS because someone calls you a sellout just proves you ARE a sellout!" This is the most illogical argument i've ever heard. You just broke the dumbass meter. You're trying to prove you're not a racist by pretending to treat him the same way you'd treat anybody else under similar circumstances but just proved yourself to be an idiot.

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001

One of my biggest pet peeves is "political correctness." When people get ULTRA sensitive about race issues. HOWEVER, what some people (like you) don't seem to understand is that crap like this happens and many times more often than not its pretty bad. However, relating to your post,thats the biggest lie I've ever heard. You wrote that thread cause you are an asshat. You don't even have the balls to admit that you were a total jerk who wrote something in very bad taste. Now you are trying to cover it up by acting outraged, trying to divert the argument by pretending you care that everyone encounters racism. Nice try jerk. Why don't YOU try growing up?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: djheater
If you have a name of the realtor (or address of person showing house) please feel free to post it. I'd like to tell her how I feel about Racists.

BTW, my sister-in-law just returned from an extensive European vacation, she said the racial boundaries are much different there. Tons of mult-racial couples and very little evident discrimination. It's a shame we're still suffering from our indiscretions of more than a century ago.

Ever heard of Bosnia?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Arkitech- I am sorry what happened to you. Maybe one day people will no longer judge you by race. I hope it is sooner than you or I think. :(

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Arkitech never whined in this thread, nor was it phrased the way your thread was. I don't see how you got off making a parody of this thread... usually parodies are reserved for immature or stupid threads. This was neither.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Greyd

One of my biggest pet peeves is "political correctness." When people get ULTRA sensitive about race issues. HOWEVER, what some people (like you) don't seem to understand is that crap like this happens and many times more often than not its pretty bad. However, relating to your post,thats the biggest lie I've ever heard. You wrote that thread cause you are an asshat. You don't even have the balls to admit that you were a total jerk who wrote something in very bad taste. Now you are trying to cover it up by acting outraged, trying to divert the argument by pretending you care that everyone encounters racism. Nice try jerk. Why don't YOU try growing up?

Yeah you are just like the last guy, don't like what someone says so you call em names and/or threaten them. The problem is people LIKE YOU! YEAH people who act like children. I wasn't covering up ANYTHING and in my post I said the reasons for it, edits were made before it was locked. What is bad taste as you put it makes a POINT. When I was a kid I got followed by cops allot, stopped by cops, harrased by cops! This was in Chicago where "supposedly" they only do that sort of harrassment to black folks. EVERYONE takes crap, and if you want to feel sorry about it instead of FORGIVING people and MOVING ON you will be bitter and hateful just like you were in your post to me. So do what you like, but whatever you do stop calling names and [/b]GROW UP[/b]

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001

Yeah you are just like the last guy, don't like what someone says so you call em names and/or threaten them. The problem is people LIKE YOU! YEAH people who act like children. I wasn't covering up ANYTHING and in my post I said the reasons for it, edits were made before it was locked. What is bad taste as you put it makes a POINT. When I was a kid I got followed by cops allot, stopped by cops, harrased by cops! This was in Chicago where "supposedly" they only do that sort of harrassment to black folks. EVERYONE takes crap, and if you want to feel sorry about it instead of FORGIVING people and MOVING ON you will be bitter and hateful just like you were in your post to me. So do what you like, but whatever you do stop calling names and [/b]GROW UP[/b]

You mean you edited because you realize that you weren't as funny as you thought. You also realized that you were being a total jerk after several people in the thread mentioned it, but again you tried to cover it up. Now you try to relate some stories about your experiences to make people feel sorry for you or to show that you yourself have "suffered" again - trying to cover up your idiotic posts. Then you try to act "enlightened" by saying everyone should forgive - but AGAIN you have to realize that your "cover" doesn't work too well. Nice try buddy. If you don't expect people to call you names then don't be such an asshat.

Edited for spelling

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000

You mean you edited because you realize that you weren't as funny as you thought. You also realized that you were being a total jerk after several people in the thread mentioned it, but again you tried to cover it up. Now you try to relate some stories about your experiences to amke people feel sorry for you ro to show that you yourself ahve "suffered" again - trying to cover up your idiotic posts. Then you try to act "enlightened" by saying everyone should forgive - but AGAIN you have to realize that your "cover" doesn't work too well. Nice try buddy. If you don't expect people to call you names then don't be such an asshat.

Edited for spelling

Nice theory. Incorrect however! I edited my post because certain people wouldn't "get it" like yourself. If you don't like my opinions fine but don't come bitch and MOANING to me because you don't like what I have to say. Never in my thread did I attack ANYONE but you seem to enjoy it - why don't you GROW UP! I have attacked no one but you have! I have proved you WRONG and cited YOUR MISTAKES so now YOU TRY AND COVER UP your own FALACIES by attacking my opinions. My intention WAS to enlighten, I am not a bitter or hateful person like yourself and it is my conclusion that you are jealous of my peace. You should try forgiving people and accept that everyone is going to take some crap instead of attacking people out of SPITE when they say something you don't agree with or when you realize your WRONG.

I have already forgiven you for calling me names, that is why I do not attack you as you do me. I won't argue with you anymore either.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Let the flaming commence. All usefullness of this thread will now stop.

ROFL

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
I normally avoid race threads like the plague, but here goes.

I?ve heard this before. I almost felt your pain, once. However the worse thing you can do in this situation is allow other peoples hang-ups be the determining factor in how you live your life. I refuse to allow the ignorance of others (black or white) determine my sense of self, my values and what I like and dislike. I?ve been accused of the same thing (being a sell-out) years ago at my old job because I did not discriminate. I spoke to everyone, in front of everyone, no different than the day before. I never caught hell personally but I did read some graffiti in the bathroom that said I ?kissed the white man?s ass?, just because I would have a conversation with white people, just because I viewed people as people, first. Whoever it was who wrote the graffiti never had the guts to say it to my face and even if they did, I would not have done anything, again, I do not let other peoples hang-ups interfere with me being me.

A couple of my current co-workers have issues with this as well. The guy I work with mostly (white) is always commenting on how he?s ?amazed? when I sing along with classic rock tunes on the radio, and how he doesn?t believe I can?t dance and that I eat pork. Ironically this kid (ten years my junior) listens almost exclusively to rap, wears baggy clothes and drives around with his music blaring. I laugh at him and his hang ups and never defend myself against his stereotypical view of what being black entails. It?s his problem, not mine.

My brother is different than I am. He?s constantly spouting the rhetoric to his children about how everything wrong in our community is the white man?s fault. His children are falling right in line with this mantra and it?s crippling their ability to grow and produce. It is not teaching them to strive to overcome the struggles that are sure to come in life. They are already being taught that it?s somebody else?s fault that [insert failure here]. Somehow his problems have nothing to do with having more children than he could afford, or ruining your credit so you can look like a million dollars on a $60.000 salary, or driving an Acura that you can?t afford whilst living in a row home.

One of my brother?s children calls my daughter ?white girl?. It?s supposed to be an insult because I teach my kids to speak properly, I don?t let them listen to or watch the (sometimes) sexually charged rap and R&B music and videos that his children do, and I don?t allow emulation of popular culture in my home in the form of dress, language etc. My daughter is also ostracized because she has white friends. I?m glad that my kids have the same resilience that I have in this regard. The best part is that my kids don?t resent what I?m trying to instill in them, which makes my job easier.

Racism exists, it?s real. I?ve been called "the n word" to my face by white folks young and old, many times, for no reason other than showing up. I don?t get mad; I pity the young ones because they are going to grow up consumed by hate. I pity the old ones because they spent their entire lives carrying that burden. What a waste?.

Arkitech, be yourself and be happy. Being black doesn?t suck, being treated badly does. I don?t care what color you are.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I know what you mean. I was going to writeI feel your pain, but was afraid that might be too ghetto for you. j/k

We live in a very messed up world, and I am sorry that you are caught in the situation that you are caught in. Look at the bright side, or try to. White chicks w/jungle fever that don't wanna go all out, will want to sleep with you. There must be other upside things to your situation...hang in there, this too shall pass.

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: wyvrn
Let the flaming commence. All usefullness of this thread will now stop.

ROFL

me looks around innocently *whistling

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
so looks like willaim julius wilson is wrong, however i think america is one of the least racist societies on earth, but because minorities are much larger, race becomes a prevalent issue.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
You know, it's amazing, but "white flight" is virtually non-existent in the South (GA, SC and NC). When I lived there, I noticed more intergreted neighborhoods than I ever saw up here in the Midwest.
Never been in the midwest, her in Macon, GA...the only racism that actively exists is that of the poor blacks in gangs trying to defend their being idiots and ruining their lives (One of my friends saw his next door neighbor's house drive-by'd...I'm talking about the areas you really don't want to be in).