Beginner Guide to Overclock P5Q-E with E8400 Installed

Haywired2002

Mar 21, 2009
I Have Following Hardware Installed:

P5Q-E
E8400@3 Ghz
4GB TWIN 2X 2048 - 6400 C5 DHX

Can anyone help me taking it to max Ghz and also getting better memory timings?

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Haywired2002
I Have Following Hardware Installed:

P5Q-E
E8400@3 Ghz
4GB TWIN 2X 2048 - 6400 C5 DHX

Can anyone help me taking it to max Ghz and also getting better memory timings?

Did you read the Overclocking Guide?

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
there is a sticky at the top of the board. OCing isn't like a cake recipe, you can't always just say set this to that and that to that.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Haywired2002
Yes, i did, But as i mentioned, i want some Simplidied settings for it

Thing is, you say you want "max Ghz", but we don't know what that is. Not all e8400's have the same overclocking potential. One can hit 4.2Ghz, another 3.6, etc. One P5Q-E can be more overclocking-friendly than another. How much overclocking can your RAM take? What cooler are you using? What temps do you have now? There are so many variables involved, you could use someone else's settings and bork your system. That's why you take things step by step, as delineated in the guide.

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
is this your first attempt at OCing? Think your taking slightly the wrong approach. My first OC (bk on an AMD64 3000+) followed lengthy research here and on other inet resources. Then when actually doing the OC / stress testing u have to figure out how far each of ur components can go.

You should be really carefull when OCing, watch temps, stress test, like Flipped Gaselle mentioned, there is no perfect or one size fits all set of numbers you can use.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: crazylegs
is this your first attempt at OCing? Think your taking slightly the wrong approach. My first OC (bk on an AMD64 3000+) followed lengthy research here and on other inet resources. Then when actually doing the OC / stress testing u have to figure out how far each of ur components can go.

You should be really carefull when OCing, watch temps, stress test, like Flipped Gaselle mentioned, there is no perfect or one size fits all set of numbers you can use.

No disagreement with others here, but I offer some insight on "shortcuts that are not so short."

There are several ways to read a book. Most people go cover-to-cover. If you need information, you start with the index, TOC and key chapters, to "absorb it in parallel" instead of serially.

Look around for comparison reviews of the board, processor and memory. Look at forum posts at the board-manufacturer's web-site. In fact, look at forum posts for the memory-maker. You should find overlaps where combinations of the same hardware appear.

Some reviews will put a motherboard through its paces, offering a range of OC settings obtained with certain memory and the CPU, and occasionally, you will find reviews that are practically an over-clocking roadmap guide.

With this information in hand, you can proceed through Graysky's methodology, but with some idea of "nominal over-clock settings" that are likely to succeed quickly -- a basis for more methodical ascents to greater heights.

If you do this carefully, you may be able to totally avoid the hair-pulling, hand-wringing crises of "BSODs" as you stress-test your configuration and settings.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: BonzaiDuck
No disagreement with others here, but I offer some insight on "shortcuts that are not so short."

There are several ways to read a book. Most people go cover-to-cover. If you need information, you start with the index, TOC and key chapters, to "absorb it in parallel" instead of serially.

Look around for comparison reviews of the board, processor and memory. Look at forum posts at the board-manufacturer's web-site. In fact, look at forum posts for the memory-maker. You should find overlaps where combinations of the same hardware appear.

Some reviews will put a motherboard through its paces, offering a range of OC settings obtained with certain memory and the CPU, and occasionally, you will find reviews that are practically an over-clocking roadmap guide.

With this information in hand, you can proceed through Graysky's methodology, but with some idea of "nominal over-clock settings" that are likely to succeed quickly -- a basis for more methodical ascents to greater heights.

If you do this carefully, you may be able to totally avoid the hair-pulling, hand-wringing crises of "BSODs" as you stress-test your configuration and settings.

Once upon a time I tried that method of overclocking. Given a new board with unknown parameters, I searched out some overclocking reviews, and punched those parameters into the board. Well, it degraded and eventually burned out the northbridge, although it was partially sucessful in overclocking the CPU up until that point.

I learned my lesson. Always overclock slowly, carefully, "the long way".

Haywired2002

Mar 21, 2009
I have Following Hardware :
P5Q-E
E8400
4 GB TWIN 2X 2048 - 6400 C5 DHX

i am using these settings :
AI Overclock tuner: MANUAL
CPU Ratio Setting: AUTO
FSB Frequency: 445
PCI-E Frequency: 100
FSB Strap to North Bridge: AUTO
DRAM Frequency: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A2: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B1: AUTO
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B2: AUTO
DRAM Timing Control: AUTO

1st Information: 5-5-5-18-3-54-6-3
2nd Information: 8-3-5-4-6-4-6
3rd Information: 14-5-1-6-6

DRAM Static Read Control: DISABLED
DRAM Read Training: DISABLED
MEM. OC Charger: ENABLED
AI Clock Twister: AUTO
AI Transaction Booster: AUTO

CPU Voltage: 1.32
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (0/2): .630
CPU GTL Voltage Reference (1/3): .630
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.58
FSB Termination Voltage: AUTO
DRAM Voltage: 2.0
NB Voltage: 1.14
NB GTL Reference: .630
SBridge Voltage: 1.1
PCIE SATA Voltage: AUTO

Load Line Calibration: AUTO
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew : AUTO
NB Clock Skew : AUTO
CPU Margin Enhancement: OPTIMIZED

Advanced Settings
C1e: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel(r) Virtualization tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled

Post screen Goes Good,
BUt i dont get my Multi Boot screen to VIsta and Xp?