Beetle "jumps" a little when starting on a hill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
Hard to describe this in a headline - sorry, some of you probably think "well, duh." but hear me out:

Usually if I start my New Beetle (2007 automatic) on a hill (facing down the hill), I'll slowly let my foot off the brake and it'll start rolling smoothly. Lately when I let me foot off, there's a point at which it just wants to GO and will sort of jump forward. It's almost like it feels when on a manual you do a bad shift into a higher gear. That little ca-CHUG forward, you know?

Anyone have any idea what's going on with it? Is this normal? I'm still under warranty, but they'll charge me if they don't find anything, so I want to make sure something is probably wrong before I take it in.

TIA!

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
Props for being a guy and owning up to driving a NB, lol.

Get it checked out, thats not normal at all. Those transmissions are made by Aisin so they don't have many problems.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I'm still under warranty, but they'll charge me if they don't find anything, so I want to make sure something is probably wrong before I take it in.

I hope it doesn't turn into a case of "technician unable to duplicate problem" until your warranty runs out, then turns into "you need a new transmission ASAP, that'll be $3500."

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
Hard to describe this in a headline - sorry, some of you probably think "well, duh." but hear me out:

Usually if I start my New Beetle (2007 automatic) on a hill (facing down the hill), I'll slowly let my foot off the brake and it'll start rolling smoothly. Lately when I let me foot off, there's a point at which it just wants to GO and will sort of jump forward. It's almost like it feels when on a manual you do a bad shift into a higher gear. That little ca-CHUG forward, you know?

Anyone have any idea what's going on with it? Is this normal? I'm still under warranty, but they'll charge me if they don't find anything, so I want to make sure something is probably wrong before I take it in.

TIA!

They will not charge you if they don't find anything, thats strictly against VW rules. THEY CAN charge you if they find a broken harness or some road debris damage on the bottom of the car however. The best way to do this is find a spot near the dealer where this can be easily replicated and ask the service advisor to take a quick ride with you and show them the problem.

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
They will not charge you if they don't find anything, thats strictly against VW rules. THEY CAN charge you if they find a broken harness or some road debris damage on the bottom of the car however. The best way to do this is find a spot near the dealer where this can be easily replicated and ask the service advisor to take a quick ride with you and show them the problem.

Really? At one VW dealer they said that if they find something then there isn't any diagnostic fee, but if they don't find anything then there's a charge around $100.

Is there anywhere that says specifically that there shouldn't be any charge for that?

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
Really? At one VW dealer they said that if they find something then there isn't any diagnostic fee, but if they don't find anything then there's a charge around $100.

Is there anywhere that says specifically that there shouldn't be any charge for that?

When I went through the DSG fiasco with my GTI, i asked them to look at it. They said they would check it out with me if I wanted, so I just took a service advisor along with me and demonstrated it to him, he accepted my complaint and that was that. My service advisor is very good though.

Maybe they would charge if you if you wanted them to do a full diagnostic on the transmission, but I would still think thats absurd for a car under warranty. I've never paid for a warranty examination of a car ever. Hell I remember literally throwing my cobalt keys at the service guy with a 4 page long word document of problems I had with it and saying I didnt want it back till every single one was fixed. They didn't give me any problems with that.

VW's dealer network has a lot of lemons in it, if the one you are going to is being a bitch, just tell them you think its unacceptable that they would charge a diagnostic fee for a vehicle under warranty and you will be taking your business else where. Its sad, but they really need to work on their dealers a lot.

If you're in Socal PM me and I can give you his contact information.

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
Thanks PKG -

Anyone know a good dealer in the DC area? How's the college park dealer?

PSA - The Laurel one sucks.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
Thanks PKG -

Anyone know a good dealer in the DC area? How's the college park dealer?

PSA - The Laurel one sucks.

I faintly remember the laurel one being trashed on TDIclub, check out VWvortex, theres a regional forum where you can search for dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.