veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
So, quick question. Would most of you consider beer to be an acquired taste? I have never been a big beer drinker, simply because I find the taste to be revolting. Did most of you like beer upon your first encounter or did it take a while to become accustomed to the taste?

Yes, I am serious :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: veggz
So, quick question. Would most of you consider beer to be an acquired taste? I have never been a big beer drinker, simply because I find the taste to be revolting. Did most of you like beer upon your first encounter or did it take a while to become accustomed to the taste?

not sure. it definitely tastes horrible to me and after drinking it several times, i still don't like it.

Jun 4, 2005
I hated it the first time. The second time I got so drunk I got alcohol poisoning. I suppose that's what happens when you try to keep up with an alcoholic.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
It really depends on what beer it is. The first beer I had ever tried was "Milwaukees Best (AKA The Beast)", so of course I turned down any other beer offered to me for quite some time. If you base your opinion on cheap swill like Bud Light, Corona, Coors Light, etc...you will be disappointed. Try some microbrews, and see what kind you like.

veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
Well, I guess I'll keep at it then. But I must say, I'm drinking a Heineken right now and I feel like I'm going to puke with every sip.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
I went from thinking it tasted disgustingly nasty to loving it with my meals. Dunno how long it took but not too long.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Acquired taste. I now love all sorts of beer (except for the cheap piss water beer), but when I first started drinking it was deinately an aquired taste, I never found it totally revolting, but at first I didn't think it was the best tasting liquid on earth (like I do now).

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Well, I guess I'll keep at it then. But I must say, I'm drinking a Heineken right now and I feel like I'm going to puke with every sip.

Heineken is nasty. What state do you live in?

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
It really depends on what beer it is. The first beer I had ever tried was "Milwaukees Best (AKA The Beast)", so of course I turned down any other beer offered to me for quite some time. If you base your opinion on cheap swill like Bud Light, Corona, Coors Light, etc...you will be disappointed. Try some microbrews, and see what kind you like.

Corona is pretty light and goes down considerably smooth. I'd recommend it if you're not big on the taste of beer. =/

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: LoKe
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy

Corona is pretty light and goes down considerably smooth. I'd recommend it if you're not big on the taste of beer. =/

It is very light, that's the problem. The aftertaste is horrible. A good, inexpensive alternative - Modelo Especial.

MBentz

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2005
It's pretty easy to aquire the taste of beer on the first night.

Step 1: Drink beer.
Step 2: Drink beer.
Step 3: Drink beer.
Step 4: Drink beer.
Step 5: Drink beer.

Catch the drift? The quicker you get buzzed the sooner it tastes better.

veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
I'm in Massachusetts. I must say I've tried lots of beers (granted, most of them were cheap keg beers or Bud varieties) and they all taste the same. Haven't tried Corona though.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Acquired.
I remember hating it but also remember when i fell for it - it was at Benihana; someone suggested Sapporo with my sushi. I gave it a shot and have enjoyed beers of all kinds ever since.

try beer along with different foods - steak, deep fried stuff, something salty. it helps.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
I'm in Massachusetts. I must say I've tried lots of beers (granted, most of them were cheap keg beers or Bud varieties) and they all taste the same. Haven't tried Corona though.

Sam Adams is a decent inexpensive beer. I enjoy their Black Lager. Give it a whirl.

pclstyle

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2004

I'd say it's an acquired taste, but one more easily 'obtained' than say, wine. Start with commonly-agreed upon 'light, tasty' beers and you'll soon find yourself delving into imports, dark beers, etc. Get them cold though, preferably off tap - that's how I found myself first truly enjoying beer.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
it's taken several occasions, but i love it now. ya, at first it was completely disgusting , but now i cant get enough :).

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Yeah, I hated it the first time I tried it. Now I enjoy the taste of an icy cold beer - especially with a nice, manly meal, like a steak or BBQ ribs.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
If you stick with Guinness, you will never have to worry about drinking a bad beer for the rest of your life.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Definitely acquired. Beer is supposed to be bitter and that doesn't work for most people on the first try. Or the second...

I like my beer very bitter and dry.

Jan 18, 2001
There is such a wide array of beer styles that I am always dubious of anyone who makes claims that they find 'beer' distasteful, especially when the person making the comment has only tried a couple of different brands of the same style (e.g., Miller versus a Bud versus a MGDlight).

It's like saying you hate cookies after eating a few vanilla wafers.

veggz

Banned
Jan 3, 2005
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude
There is such a wide array of beer styles that I am always dubious of anyone who makes claims that they find 'beer' distasteful, especially when the person making the comment has only tried a couple of different brands of the same style (e.g., Miller versus a Bud versus a MGDlight).

It's like saying you hate cookies after eating a few vanilla wafers.

I'll admit, I am probably a bit ignorant as to the different types of beer, but that's because I'm in college and kids pretty much only drink one type of beer anyway (the sh!tty kind, that is)