Beer **Update**

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Try an Oatmeal Stout smooth, tasty and not hoppy at all (hops gives beer its bitterness)

hops also impart hop flavors. It depends on how long the hops are boiled as to whether or not a hop will impart bitterness, or hoppiness. Also, different variety of hops bitter to different degrees, and have very different' flavor profiles.

ScottyB, the problem you will run into is that the bar you go too will not have a very good selection of beers. I would recommend a stout, preferrably a sweet or cream stout, but you will likely find any stout to be interesting. They don't tend to have high alcohol contents, unless you get an Imperial stout.

Nyical

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2003
Originally posted by: pyonir
Go for the plunge.

Guinness
Newcastle
Boddingtons

try one of those. :)

GAH!!!!

He would swear off beer for life if he drinks those first without working up to them, there more of a required taste.

Mmmmmm....Guinness....mmmmmm

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Yeah man, you have to start slow. I started on Heineken and now Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my fave.

Like I said in another beer thread today, try some hefeweizen with a squeeze of lemon. It's smooth and not bitter at all.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Nyical

GAH!!!!

He would swear off beer for life if he drinks those first without working up to them, there more of a required taste.

Mmmmmm....Guinness....mmmmmm
:D I disagree with you about Boddington's though. A lot of people I know that don't really like beer, like Boddington's.

shenaniganz

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Just try some different stuff. Get a stout or pale ale and try some stuff in between. See what you like the best. If you find you don't like any of them switch to wine coolers. Don't worry, it won't be long until you are bowing again to the beer gods, praising them for the wonderful nectar that is beer.

Jan 18, 2001
i don't think you have to build up to 'real beer'. Rather if you start on the fizz beers, you learn to expect the wrong flavors in a beer, or rather the absence of flavor in beer.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
figured id bump this thread because i will be consuming some fine stone pale ale tonight. mmmm, cant wait!

stone

edit: and yes, hooray for guinness, new castle, and ss oatmeal stout.

66FMC

Mar 16, 2003
Originally posted by: murphy55d
Guinness is the only beer I like...and only when it's on tap. It's nasty in a bottle.

Always buy Guinness in a can, and poor it in a glass.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
**Update**
I didn't go to the bar last night because my friend bailed on me. My dad and I went tonight (Friday) and I had 2 Kiligan(spelling) reds and a margarita on the rocks. I had hamburger and the beer tasted better than the Miller Lite. I got a little tippsy. Later my uncle, my dad and I went to the Moose Lodge and I was only going tro get a couple drinks but my other uncle was there and found out I just turnmed 21 and kept buying me things so I had (in order): 1)Tequila Sunrise (no grenada because they were out -- Okay tasting), 2) Mudslide on the rocks (nasty tating), 3) Tequila shot with salt and lemon (good), 4) Dr. Pepper (beer+armereto -- good), 5) Tequila shot with salt and lemon (not as good as the first), 6) Cranberry juice + Vodka (very good), 7) Dr. Pepper. beer+armereto -- good). All were made heavy upon my uncle's request. I am tippsy now but different than at dinner. My uncle then spent $5 on five tickets they had there and gave me one, he one $202, so he made out plus I bought him a beer.

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Why do so many ATOT'ers drink ale and little else?

Scotty, if you like a good lager (pilsner) try the following:

Stella Artois
Grolsch
Moosehead Lager
Warsteiner
DAB
Pilsner Urquell
Sleeman Silvercreek Lager
Holsten

Just experiment with different beers.

Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ScottyB
Originally posted by: dxkj
See, I was right about the killians :p

I found something much, much better. I had one of these (Link BA) last night. I am never drinking beer unless it is dark again.

welcome to the dark side scotty :D:beer:

edit: if you can get bell's, try one oftheir two hearted ales or Oberons sometime. damn fine beers.

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude

I found something much, much better. I had one of these (Link BA) last night. I am never drinking beer unless it is dark again.

edit: if you can get bell's, try one oftheir two hearted ales or Oberons sometime. damn fine beers.

It cost $4 for one bottle at the bar though :(

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
don't look down your nose at me 'cuz i like light beer
and i don't mean watery light beer like Michelob or Coors....just good stuff that the Canadians brew like Labatt Bleu Light.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: HomeBrewerDude

It cost $4 for one bottle at the bar though :(

Try getting Arrogant Bastard at a bar. Cheapest I saw for a bottle was $6.95

Jan 18, 2001
Last weekend, while playing poker I drank some Old Speckled Hen. it was good stuff. English Ale, slightly bitter, full bodied, and complex.

I also had some St. Bernardus pt 12. That was really good beer too.

it was good times, had some great beer and won a bit of money (drew into a straight flush!)