Been playing a bit of Colin McRae 2.0 recently :)

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
The way the vehicles interact with the track just feels 'right' and fun in a way later ones don't seem to pull of, despite being better looking of course.

Not that CM2.0 looks that bad at 1600x1200/8xAA (Adaptive-quality and edge-detect)/16xAF ;)

Fellow rally fans, what say you?

Mar 4, 2005
I really like CMR 2.0
I agree with you about it feels "right and it is fun.
I have 2 copies and usually have one installed in the wife's P3 850, GF4Ti4200.
It seems that Codemasters has never been able to update the Colin McRae series as I hoped they would from 2.0
I do like D.I.R.T and am playing that too.
I think CM 05 isn't too bad.
I don't have Grid. Wonder how that is.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Try Richard Burns Rally...much more realistic than any CMR games. In CMR, the cars sort of pivot on this invisible axis right at the center of the car...it just doesn't feel right. Richard Burns is more difficult so it may not be as fun but I haven't played a rally game as good as that.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Richard Burns rally was amazing. I managed to wind the championship on the toughest difficulty level, using only my keyboard. To really learn how to control the car, you need at least some 3-4 hours of "training".

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
CMR 2.0 is the best in the CMR series. Like the OP said, it just felt right. The later CMR games had unnatural characteristics and that caused me to hate them.

RBR, I still have only played the Demo :(, but even from that I could tell it was a much better Rally Game than CMR X. Although not as good as CMR 2, that Microsoft/Dice(IIRC) game(Rally something??) was decent too. It also suffered from the center swivel handling issue, but was much better than subsequent CMR games.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
that Microsoft/Dice(IIRC) game(Rally something??) was decent too. It also suffered from the center swivel handling issue, but was much better than subsequent CMR games.

Rallisport Challenge?

Mar 4, 2005
Yes, Richard Burns Rally is excellent.
I replay it every 6 months or so.
Fastest times for me are always with the view unobstructed, over the "bonnet".
How about that drop off/jump in Australia?!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: sandorski
that Microsoft/Dice(IIRC) game(Rally something??) was decent too. It also suffered from the center swivel handling issue, but was much better than subsequent CMR games.

Rallisport Challenge?

Ya, that's it. Tried to find the disc to get the name, but gave up after a couple minutes.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Wheres RallyMaster when you need him?

Richard Burns rally is the most realistic. I found DIRT was very fun with the variety aside from crashing/the pivot problem

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: pendragon
Yes, Richard Burns Rally is excellent.
I replay it every 6 months or so.
Fastest times for me are always with the view unobstructed, over the "bonnet".
How about that drop off/jump in Australia?!

Love that track...give it a bit of gas just as you're going over the top and your car usually stays level and doesn't do a nosedive into the dirt...still a hard landing though and I've broken the car several times.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Thanks folks :)

I tried RBR and I have to admit I wasn't blown away.

If by 'pivot' you mean the car seems to swing about a certain central point, then RBR seemed far worse than certainly CM2.0.

I careered down the straights in a very straight line while the nose and tail whipped about erratically, and I certainly didn't 'feel' the connection between the vehicle and the terrain in the same way, it seemed very uninvolved and overly smooth until you hit something (In CM2 you really feel the vehicle bite and hunker down as you transition from gravel to bitumen, as an extreme example, and the gravel has a lateral bite that you can feel when you drift that was totally missing in RBR).

The car was disproportionately huge compared to the scenery and people, and the physics seemed rather cartoonish, at least in terms of bumps and what they did to your car, sending you flying dozens of feet into the air like a top!.

:eek:

EDIT: CM05 is pretty good imo, but it still doesn't quite have the 'feel' and fun factor of 2.0 :)

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Playing with a FFB wheel?

I dunno while playing both with my Momo force, the cars in RBR had a certain "weight" that was lacking in the CMR games I've played and I don't remember the pivoting in the center with RBR. If you shift the weight to the front you can make it "pivot" from the front...

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: thilan29
Playing with a FFB wheel?

I dunno while playing both with my Momo force, the cars in RBR had a certain "weight" that was lacking in the CMR games I've played and I don't remember the pivoting in the center with RBR. If you shift the weight to the front you can make it "pivot" from the front...

Just using my trusty Logitech Genius super basic bulletproof controllers that I use for mariokart 64 and CM2.0.

Nothing fancy :eek: