Question Been out of the loop. Any advantage picking AMD over Intel/Nvidia for a new gaming rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've been waiting to build a new gaming PC for a few years and since GPU prices have started to drop down to levels that I'm willing to pay (and with my current PC hanging on for dear life after over a decade), it's time to start looking into who is winning the current hardware race. The last PC I built was right before the Nvidia 2000 series hit the market and Ryzen was a stretch ahead of Intel so I'm curious if Intel has brought anything out recently that would put them out front. Also, with EVGA leaving the GPU market, I'm willing to look into AMD cards despite never using one myself but I would like to stick with Nvidia if possible.

Mainly I'm just curious what would be the better bang for my buck. As always, I'm looking to future-proof so I only have to upgrade one or two things ten years down the line. I'll get a proper build list and budget together later but right now I'd just like to know which brands to be looking at when I'm starting to piece it all together.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
PCPartPicker.com

Pick what fits your needs. There are pros and cons to either when it comes to the CPU you choose. Same goes for the GPU. Future proofing is just another way to spend more than you need to. Just plan on u[grading as needed over the course of the lifetime of the PC. There are plenty of names other than EVGA when it comes to cards. Just pick what fits your budget.

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I got the feeling he was looking for more deets on AMD vs Intel on CPU/platform. You mention pros and cons to either...but don't outline any of them. It wasn't a good answer to what he asked tbh.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@Pohemi

I can't recommend anything w/o more info.

There's too many variables to outright suggest X Y or Z.

@Stg-Flame
It would really help to know WTF you're planning on using it for rather than gee I'm building something and no context on what the hell you're using it for.

Are you looking only for GPU advice? Then it helps if you spit out the functions you want to use it for. A budget also helps in deciding on whether you should spend on a 4 series and all of the problems that come with it or if a 3060 down the middle of the road would be better. On the flip side you could do AMD 6600 or wait till later this month and gran an Arc.

GPU ties into the whole system build though when it comes to performance.

AMD - pay more for same performance as Intel but unlocks PCIE bifurcation if you're into splitting the X16 into different bandwidths and new AM5 is DDR5 only

Intel - ADL / RPL offer a cheaper cost and allow for both DDR4 & DDR5 to be used

ADL is 9 generations newer than the current rig in your signature and will blow the doors off it. RPL is going on sale later this month but, doesn't really offer more than ADL in most cases other than a higher price tag,

Jul 27, 2020
Mainly I'm just curious what would be the better bang for my buck. As always, I'm looking to future-proof so I only have to upgrade one or two things ten years down the line.
AM5 platform is supposed to accept Zen 5 CPU as a drop-in upgrade. It might even get Zen 6 if we are lucky. On Intel side, you would get stuck with a 13th gen Core CPU. Regarding GPU, it's better to wait till November to see what AMD brings to the table. But I won't have anything against you if you pick up a cheap Geforce 3060 Ti or Radeon 6700 XT. Those should last you at least a year, depending on the graphics settings you prefer.

On the value side, you could go with Core i5-12400 with DDR4-3200 CL16, a cheap H610 mobo and Geforce 3060 12GB. It would still run circles around your current rig. <<<< This would be my preferred upgrade route. Saves me more money for future incremental upgrades for the GPU/RAM/storage and 13900KS CPU when that gets cheap enough on eBAY. For slightly more upgradability, choose a more expensive cheapest ASROCK or Gigabyte DDR5 mobo and pick the cheapest Kingston RAM kit for now.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So, you ask for info and then down vote? That's just passive aggressive. Best of luck!
Your entire reply was so generalized I felt like I was on Reddit for a moment. You said there's pros and cons to both and that's exactly what I was asking for - the pros and cons of the brands.

It would really help to know WTF you're planning on using it for rather than gee I'm building something and no context on what the hell you're using it for.
It was pretty obvious from the title that I'm looking to build a gaming PC and that I want advice on which of the brands are reigning supreme at the moment - AMD vs Intel vs Nvidia. From that I thought it was self explanatory that I'm asking about CPUs and GPUs but I guess I should have been a lot more specific initially. My hopes of hastily posting before bed appears to have caused a bigger delay than if I had waited until today.

As for the budget, I'm probably going to set aside about $5,000 for this build since I'll be getting pretty much everything brand new except a headset since mine isn't that old. Might keep my mouse but it's over a decade old as well and I'll be doing what I always do and just keep my current monitor as a secondary one and retiring my old HansG.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
On the value side, you could go with Core i5-12400 with DDR4-3200 CL16, a cheap H610 mobo and Geforce 3060 12GB. It would still run circles around your current rig. <<<< This would be my preferred upgrade route. Saves me more money for future incremental upgrades for the GPU/RAM/storage and 13900KS CPU when that gets cheap enough on eBAY. For slightly more upgradability, choose a more expensive cheapest ASROCK or Gigabyte DDR5 mobo and pick the cheapest Kingston RAM kit for now.
Posting before bed bit me in the ass since I didn't convey it very well that this won't be a budget build per se, but rather I don't want to drop $1,000 on a 3090 Ti when the AMD equivalent completely outperforms it at the same price. I'm looking to build this with the intent of not having to upgrade for at least five to ten years. My current rig received a new GPU after about six years, new RAM after eight years, and a new PSU a few years back when my old Corsair shorted out. The PC itself has held up remarkably well over the years and it wasn't until Cyberpunk that it really started showing its age.

If it would help, I can make a new thread with the copy/pasted information from the stickied thread and request this one be deleted. I was just hoping to get a handle on which brands I'd be looking into before making that thread with all the relevant information like budget, websites, dates, etc.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Posting before bed bit me in the ass since I didn't convey it very well that this won't be a budget build per se, but rather I don't want to drop $1,000 on a 3090 Ti when the AMD equivalent completely outperforms it at the same price. I'm looking to build this with the intent of not having to upgrade for at least five to ten years. My current rig received a new GPU after about six years, new RAM after eight years, and a new PSU a few years back when my old Corsair shorted out. The PC itself has held up remarkably well over the years and it wasn't until Cyberpunk that it really started showing its age.

If it would help, I can make a new thread with the copy/pasted information from the stickied thread and request this one be deleted. I was just hoping to get a handle on which brands I'd be looking into before making that thread with all the relevant information like budget, websites, dates, etc.
The new Intel 13th gen will be out very shortly, and so will the Nvidia 40 series high end cards. For gaming I don't think Zen 4 and Raptor Lake at the high end will be far apart at all. I anticipate that going with the 4090 and whichever CPU is your brand preference will be the way to go. 5 grand is a great budget, so you don't have to make any compromises. Firming up a recommendation - 13900K or Ryzen 9 - fast DDR5 - whichever Z790 Intel board or X670E AM5 board appeals to you - RTX 4090.

As to advantages to choosing AMD. Nothing that skews a performance advantage in their favor. It looks like Nvidia's next gen cards are first to market so if building soon, that is an easy choice. AMD is likely not going to catch up in ray tracing this coming gen either. I prefer AMD platforms because I swap CPUs for funsies and love their desktop APUs. But for your plan, Raptor is a great pick too, since you don't plan on swapping CPUs anyways.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The new Intel 13th gen will be out very shortly, and so will the Nvidia 40 series high end cards. For gaming I don't think Zen 4 and Raptor Lake at the high end will be far apart at all. I anticipate that going with the 4090 and whichever CPU is your brand preference will be the way to go. 5 grand is a great budget, so you don't have to make any compromises. Firming up a recommendation - 13900K or Ryzen 9 - fast DDR5 - whichever Z790 Intel board or X670E AM5 board appeals to you - RTX 4090.

As to advantages to choosing AMD. Nothing that skews a performance advantage in their favor. It looks like Nvidia's next gen cards are first to market so if building soon, that is an easy choice. AMD is likely not going to catch up in ray tracing this coming gen either. I prefer AMD platforms because I swap CPUs for funsies and love their desktop APUs. But for your plan, Raptor is a great pick too, since you don't plan on swapping CPUs anyways.
Thanks for this. I've mainly used Intel and Nvidia so the only reason I'd lean towards them is familiarity. I've been checking Newegg since I read the 40 series was on the cusp of release so I might try to snag a 4090 when they aren't out of stock and since EVGA is out of the game, I'll have to find a new brand.

As for the CPU, I just got a notification this morning about pre-ordering the 13th gen CPUs set to release the 20th of this month so I'll probably snag the 13900KF while I wait for the 4090s to come back in stock. I absolutely hate buying piece by piece, but I think I'll make an exception in this case.

Jul 27, 2020
If you are spending this much, I would plead to please go with Ryzen 7600X now and upgrade to 7800X3D when that becomes available next year. Your gaming needs will be served a lot better with a huge amount of cache. Better longevity too, as the i7-5775C was still relevant in 2020.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
For straight up best performance with ray tracing going forward, Nvidia has a clear advantage. Given how long you use stuff, I don't think there is really another choice. Intel gets griefed for some of their shenanigans, and for being behind on manufacturing, but in the end, their higher end CPUs are consistently excellent for gaming. I throw a little shade at the 9700K because it was obviously meant to push you into buying the i9 series, but other than that, all good stuff.

Reactions: DooKey

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If you are spending this much, I would plead to please go with Ryzen 7600X now and upgrade to 7800X3D when that becomes available next year. Your gaming needs will be served a lot better with a huge amount of cache. Better longevity too, as the i7-5775C was still relevant in 2020.
Client needs my friend. The man doesn't upgrade CPUs for a long time. And if you check his sig, it is clear he is not chasing benchmarks. Console targets mean a 13900KF will be good to go for many years. You can quote me on that.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Intel xx900xx processors are just a stupid tax situation. You pay a premium for 10-15% improvement but could take the money and get a RAM upgrade instead.

K v KF / F - you lose the igpu and the savings is nominal for the backup video source when your GPU fails. This is a perk over AMD in the past to have an iGPU instead of forking out more money on the base build.

If you're building from the ground up a 12700K foundation w/o GPU should hit about $1000 for functional bootable system. This leaves you $4K to spend on whatever else.

AMD though will cost 25-50% more for the same setup.

GPU is where your processing power pays off when gaming not the CPU however there's a drop off in benefits when you get beyond a certain level xx60 series is the sweet spot for performance / dollar. Start adding TI to the mix and it's more of a prestige thing than a benefit. 80/90 series are similar to the 900 series CPU in paying more for the hype.

Now, if you're doing actual graphics rendering 80% of the time then it might make sense to go higher or even WX grade to save time while processing things but, in general this doesn't yield enough performance for a game to be really noticeable. Sure, if you're goin 4K/8K it will make a big different but for most shmucks at 1080/1440 it's just a waste of money.

With GPU prices coming down to MSRP or below again finally you should be able to trim your budget to 50% and still be able to hit the specs you're looking for. If you want to play the waiting game for the next gen to be disappointed go for it. Build a good foundation and plan on the GPU replacement every 3-5 years to keep up with AAA games if that's your thing. If you want less depreciation plan on every 2-3 years. If you swap things out more frequently not only do you reap the benefits of the new tech you also spend less with resale of the parts you're swapping. I rebuilt my server from a 8700K >> 12700K and the cost difference was ~$200 when selling the old system. Going from Gen3 to Gen5 slots and X performance gains makes more sense now vs waiting for it to die and then not get a return from a working build.

The way it looks right now with RPL vs AMD things are getting inflated for pricing but, Intel is keeping things within a smaller increase of ~$30 bump from ADL pricing. For the MOBO's being listed ASRock Steel Legend hits the sweet spot for tech / VRM / slots w/o blowing your budget. Recently NewEgg has the 690 on sale for ~$140 for a day but even their regular price is decent at $175 which is still $50 off launch pricing. The hype around using Liquid Cooling is just that and there's no need to spend $100+ when there's decent air towers under $50. Arctic provides 5-packs of fans for ~$40 that you can daisy chain together off single headers and are virtually silent.

Eyeing up future improvements 2024 will be interesting as the shift to Chiplets on the CPU side come to fruition and shake things up with the ability to move things around on the die to add more compute / i/o / gpu / etc w/o needing to resize the socket itself will bring more longevity across the board for both camps. This plays into the idea of swapping or rebuilds more frequently if you want to keep an edge on hardware w/o losing your ass in depreciation.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
My philosophy is buying the highest end stuff you can afford if you are going to keep a system 5-10 years. It makes no sense to save a few bucks since you will want to maximize performance over that period of time.

Nvidia makes sense at this point because we know they have an RT advantage. Not to mention they will be available shortly. Large/fast NVMe boot and data drives and at least 32gb of the fastest DDR5 you can buy. I would also consider no less than a midrange motherboard with excellent VRMs. I like ASUS when it comes to motherboards. Grab at least an 850w platinum PSU from a reputable OEM and rock on.

Enjoy your build experience.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@Stg-Flame
First off you're coming off as a [redacted] that doesn't know anything about building a PC when you have stated you have before. You ask for input and then dismiss it and complain about it being vague. Well, part of the process is to ask open ended questions and not assume you want to spend $5K on something when you only need to spend maybe $2K to accomplish what you NEED. You ramble on here n this thread but then follow up with the same thread but a detailed account of what you're thinking about getting. Cross posting doesn't help filter out the info efficiently and having been around here for however many years I suspect you know this already.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for.
Strictly gaming.

2. What YOUR budget is.
Up to $5,000 but as always, I'd like to keep it as low as possible.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA / Online stores.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference.
EVGA for the PSU is about the only preference these days but I'm pretty flexible even on this. I've ran through a few Corsair PSUs that have all died on me, but my current EVGA is still going strong after 7 years.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Headset + 2X 512GB SSDs

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
I might tweak some things here and there but I don't think I'll do anything as extreme as I did with my current system.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
4K 144hz. My only question would be since I'm going to use my current 2k monitor as a second screen, will that have any effect on a 4k monitor I purchase? In the past, all my monitors have been more or less the same so this one is new for me.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Around October 20th.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system
Just the OS as far as I'm aware.

Now that that's all cleared up, time to get to the list.

CPU - i9-13900KF ALREADY PRE-ORDERED @ $630
GPU - Nvidia RTX 3090ti Founder's Edition ALREADY PRE-ORDERED @ $1,100
PSU - EVGA SuperNova 1000w Platinum @ $170 (for some reason this was cheaper than the lower wattage)
RAM - G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB (6600) @ $310 OR G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB (6400) @ $275 (hopefully they fit without interfering - I've seen some pretty bad reviews over the fins poking into heatsinks and fans)
Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E @ $500 (I don't need the WiFi but it seems most ASUS brands are coming with them for some reason...)
HDD - 2X Samsung 980 Pro 2TB @ $380 + 2X NVMe Heatsinks @ $40
Case - I've looked at a lot of cases and I can't decide on one at the moment. Since I live in the desert, I need airflow and ease of access to fans above all else since even with double-pane windows, my house inherits a ridiculous amount of dust - especially during wind season.
Monitor - Again, I'm new to the G-Sync 144hz 4K thing. I see monitors from $300 up to $3,000 and I'm unsure what half of this stuff means in regards to gaming. I really love ASUS monitors and I've found this ASUS ROG Strix 27" @ $700 so recommendations are appreciated here as well.
Peripherals - Random RGB Cherry keyboard $100 / Logitech G502 Wired @ $40
OS - Windows 11 Home 64 bit @ $120

Overall current price - $4090

This leaves me about $910 for the case as well as anything else I may have forgotten. As I said before, I'm always happy to spend less than the proposed amount but I'm willing to go all the way to $5,000 so if there's a reason I should spend more somewhere else, please let me know why. I'll keep updating this as parts come and go and as I start finalizing my selections. I'd like to get this all ordered in one piece but since there's some deals going on right now with Amazon and I'm sure more deals will spring up later, I can always grab piece by piece.

So, let's cut the [redacted] and condense things into a single thread so you can get to the end of the road and quit bitching about attitudes and take the info you get for the new system and make your own decision on the devices you decide to use in the end. It's not a difficult task but you sure are trying to make it one.

Now, the whole I ordered a 3090TI and oh the 4090 looks so much better but it's out of stock [redacted] is old news and has been explained that even though the 4090 has placeholders on a bunch of sites it's not actually for sale yet.

As to
What advice do you need with two threads on the same subject. Lose the question on the thread with the parts you listed out.
It was a typo and should say POSE instead of LOSE. [Redacted] happens and neither of us is perfect.

But, the whole "down voting" is a bit more like acting like a toddler instead of using your words to explain or question things and then you go on a [redacted] fest about it.

Be an adult and quit acting like an entitled 3 year old.

I've been waiting to build a new gaming PC for a few years and since GPU prices have started to drop down to levels that I'm willing to pay (and with my current PC hanging on for dear life after over a decade), it's time to start looking into who is winning the current hardware race. The last PC I built was right before the Nvidia 2000 series hit the market and Ryzen was a stretch ahead of Intel so I'm curious if Intel has brought anything out recently that would put them out front. Also, with EVGA leaving the GPU market, I'm willing to look into AMD cards despite never using one myself but I would like to stick with Nvidia if possible.

Mainly I'm just curious what would be the better bang for my buck. As always, I'm looking to future-proof so I only have to upgrade one or two things ten years down the line. I'll get a proper build list and budget together later but right now I'd just like to know which brands to be looking at when I'm starting to piece it all together.
This is a whole lot different than what you started the above thread with and meaningless which is why you got vague responses and have been battling to articulate things here and there.

Any reason for pro over home? It's been so long since I looked at operating systems and looking at the side-by-side comparison on Newegg, one doesn't seem to have any benefits over the other, though since you mentioned it I'm sure I'm just not looking in the right place.
Pro unlocks additional features and NE is probably the worst place to compare things.

Windows 10 ProWindows 10 Home
Windows start menuYesYes
CortanaYesYes
Windows Store AppsYesYes
Windows InkYesYes
Windows HelloYesYes
Programs outside the Windows StoreYesYes
Hyper-VYesNo
BitLockerYesNo
Microsoft Update for BusinessYesNo
Remote DesktopYesNo
Assigned AccessYesNo

Pro offers more manageability w/o restrictions of the home version. The biggest thing for techies is the RDP option to login and not have to be at the PC to do things from say a laptop or another PC. There are more nuances though like not being forced to tie the machine to a MS account and use a local account instead.

I definitely don't want to bottleneck myself later down the road in a few years, so I'll check out a 1,000w PSU.
Sure some foresight into potential power needs makes sense but, do you need to spend $200 for 1K or considerably less for an 850W if you're not needing 1Kw PSU in the next 5 years? With the 40090 conundrum you pose there's the off chance

12VHPWR - is the new spec for PSU's / GPU's that need 600W+ to run demanding titles.

Taking this example from NE - https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-4090-tuf-rtx4090-24g-gaming/p/N82E16814126596 says you need 1000W PSU

GeForce RTX 4090 PSU Wattage Requirements
ModelsTarget Board PowerMinimum PSU Wattage
Asus RTX 4090 ROG Strix OCUnknown1000W
Aorus RTX 4090 MasterUnknown1000W
MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, Suprim Liquid XUnknown850W
PNY RTX 4090 Verto Epic-X450W850W
Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme, Trinity450W1000W
Galax RTX 4090 SG, STUnknown850W
All Colorful RTX 4090 ModelsUnknownUnknown
Inno3D RTX 4090 X3 OC iChill BlackUnknown850W
Palit RTX 4090 GameRock OC450W1200W
Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom GSUnknownUnknown

Now, back to my initial advice of using PCPartPicker to sort this mess out and since you didn't / won't do it here's some basics based on what's available and matches most of your listed wants above.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZXnY8r -- $3700 + taxes / shipping and case / monitor / keyboard / mouse / surge protector / paste/pad.

1665581023927.png

Now you just need to het off your high horse and quit playing dumb and actually put in the work to design your own system. This is just a foundational build to swap in/out parts you think you want and then you can pose actual questions regarding components or as a whole.

My thoughts on this is you're wasting your money by going with such a setup and could save quite a bit by going down to ADL instead of pushing RPL.

Swapping out the CPU/RAM/MOBO alone saves you $600 with everything else the same as above.

1665581386242.png

The ease at which you can swap parts on PCP to quote things makes it a quick process to compare things. You can save different setups with ease and then compare them later. Set alerts for when things are in stock or priced lower.

Personal insults and profanity (even abbreviated) is not allowed in the tech forums.

Additionally, it is time to move along to help someone else who needs it. It is clear from this post, nothing else positive is going to come from you continuing to offer any more help with this user.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.