Been out of the game for awhile... is the i7 the way to go?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marsspirit123

May 31, 2009
amd 945 $225
Foxconn A7DA-S 3.0 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD $120
Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) 6-6-6-20 1.8 v $68
PNY VCGGTX285XPB GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 $285 after MIR
XFX HD-487A-CDF9 Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 $350 after MIR
total nvidia 285 $698
total ati 4870 X2 $763

deputc26

Nov 7, 2008
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Well, I think the only reason I'm leaning against getting an SSD right now is hte lingering issues with fragmentation and the price premium. As far as I'm concerned, the only one I would get would be the Intel X25-M. .

Both totally valid points.:)

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: deputc26Have you ever used a modern SSD? The benefit to the end user (perceived speed) relative to an HDD is far greater than the benefit of going PhII -> i7 unless you're encoding all day. See Anand's opinion below and tests.

" the biggest upgrade you could do for your PC - whether desktop or notebook, wouldn't be to toss in a faster CPU, it would be to migrate to one of these SSDs." -Anand La Shimpi
Have you? Or do you just repeat Anandtech articles verbatim?

I'd take an i7 over a SSD any day, especially if it meant going for a Phenom II. The Phenom II has the same performance and efficiency of a Q6600/Q9450, only two years later; that's not impressive, at all.

Markstar

Apr 6, 2005
Originally posted by: MrK6
I'd take an i7 over a SSD any day, especially if it meant going for a Phenom II. The Phenom II has the same performance and efficiency of a Q6600/Q9450, only two years later; that's not impressive, at all.
Wow, how immature is that to criticize someone for quoting the result of someone else, let alone if said person is hosting the site you are one and is well respected (we are not on Tom's Hardware, after all). And then totally ignore the argument and change the subject when Trevelyan already said he'd go for an i7. :roll:

Every modern processor is fast enough to run your every-day apps, but only a SSD will make your system feel that responsive. While your i9 EE 6GHz@8GHz rocks at Doom 4, your traditional hard drive will still be the bottleneck and you wait for Photoshop to start while I (hopefully by that time), will already have opened Photoshop on my "old" X2 2.5GHz thanks to the SSD. And to many people, that is more important than some more FPS at a 3D-Shooter or some saved minutes when encoding their DVDs.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: deputc26Have you ever used a modern SSD? The benefit to the end user (perceived speed) relative to an HDD is far greater than the benefit of going PhII -> i7 unless you're encoding all day. See Anand's opinion below and tests.

" the biggest upgrade you could do for your PC - whether desktop or notebook, wouldn't be to toss in a faster CPU, it would be to migrate to one of these SSDs." -Anand La Shimpi

I take it then, by your willingness to impugn this poster over your perception of them not having used the hardware firsthand, that you have operated a rig with either a vertex or Intel SSD as well as doing so in matrix testing with and without Phenom II, Q6600, Q9450 and an i7?

Or do you just repeat what you have read in articles about these hardwares verbatim?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Markstar
Wow, how immature is that to criticize someone for quoting the result of someone else, let alone if said person is hosting the site you are one and is well respected (we are not on Tom's Hardware, after all). And then totally ignore the argument and change the subject when Trevelyan already said he'd go for an i7. :roll:

Every modern processor is fast enough to run your every-day apps, but only a SSD will make your system feel that responsive. While your i9 EE 6GHz@8GHz rocks at Doom 4, your traditional hard drive will still be the bottleneck and you wait for Photoshop to start while I (hopefully by that time), will already have opened Photoshop on my "old" X2 2.5GHz thanks to the SSD. And to many people, that is more important than some more FPS at a 3D-Shooter or some saved minutes when encoding their DVDs.
Do you read the actual flow of the conversation or just explode verbal diarrhea whenever someone says something you don't like? Go re-read what was posted so you can look like you have a clue when you reply to this. Make sure you have fun with less than half the FPS of an i7 on your X2 2.5GHz; it must be awesome loading your slide show two seconds faster than the i7 rig loading it's great gaming experience (cause, you know, that's what the OP does with his comp, he doesn't just sit on his desktop all day timing how fast Photoshop opens).

The first comment was in reference to Anand's comment - which I don't agree with. Maybe he was blow away by the "gee whiz" factor of SSDs, or maybe he's supposed to promote them, I don't know and I don't care. I've used them, you notice what's still in my PC? There's almost no difference in everyday computing when using an SSD, none. And to suggest grabbing a poorer performing processor for the sake of getting an SSD is poor advice. The highest performing function of the OP's rig seems to be gaming, if for some reason he ended up getting a Phenom II instead of the i7 he was planning on due to such comments, he would really be missing out.

Now if you want to justify the $300 you paid for a meager 80GB of slightly faster storage, go ahead and do it in the mirror, don't take others with you.

Originally posted by: Idontcare

I take it then, by your willingness to impugn this poster over your perception of them not having used the hardware firsthand, that you have operated a rig with either a vertex or Intel SSD as well as doing so in matrix testing with and without Phenom II, Q6600, Q9450 and an i7?

Or do you just repeat what you have read in articles about these hardwares verbatim?
What on Earth are you talking about? Again, someone else who needs to actually read what was said before flying off the handle. The question extrapolated from the comment is should one trade an i7 set-up for a Phenom II + SSD, and no, one shouldn't.

Again, I've used Intel X-25M's. SSD's are cool, no doubt. They're great technology and probably are the future of storage. Are they that much better? Nope. Are they worth the cost to the average user? Definitely not. Are they still too new? Yup. Two years from now my recommendations will probably change. Right now, you can't beat the price/performance of a 1TB HDD.

Think about what you folks are actually recommending so that you can see how silly this looks - you want the OP to dump all his cash on a single, 80GB drive for his new system. That's like what, Vista and 5 games + office apps and about 20GB of media, if that? He also wants to dual boot OSX, that'll require a few GB anyway (don't know, don't really use macs). So rather than get 1TB of storage for 1/3 of the cost that's almost as fast, you're going to recommend that? How do you even take yourselves seriously and continue to attempt giving advice.

RaptureMe

Jan 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Markstar

Do you read the actual flow of the conversation or just explode verbal diarrhea whenever someone says something you don't like? Go re-read what was posted so you can look like you have a clue when you reply to this. Make sure you have fun with less than half the FPS of an i7 on your X2 2.5GHz; it must be awesome loading your slide show two seconds faster than the i7 rig loading it's great gaming experience (cause, you know, that's what the OP does with his comp, he doesn't just sit on his desktop all day timing how fast Photoshop opens).

The first comment was in reference to Anand's comment - which I don't agree with. Maybe he was blow away by the "gee whiz" factor of SSDs, or maybe he's supposed to promote them, I don't know and I don't care. I've used them, you notice what's still in my PC? There's almost no difference in everyday computing when using an SSD, none. And to suggest grabbing a poorer performing processor for the sake of getting an SSD is poor advice. The highest performing function of the OP's rig seems to be gaming, if for some reason he ended up getting a Phenom II instead of the i7 he was planning on due to such comments, he would really be missing out.

Now if you want to justify the $300 you paid for a meager 80GB of slightly faster storage, go ahead and do it in the mirror, don't take others with you.

What on Earth are you talking about? Again, someone else who needs to actually read what was said before flying off the handle. The question extrapolated from the comment is should one trade an i7 set-up for a Phenom II + SSD, and no, one shouldn't.

Again, I've used Intel X-25M's. SSD's are cool, no doubt. They're great technology and probably are the future of storage. Are they that much better? Nope. Are they worth the cost to the average user? Definitely not. Are they still too new? Yup. Two years from now my recommendations will probably change. Right now, you can't beat the price/performance of a 1TB HDD.

Think about what you folks are actually recommending so that you can see how silly this looks - you want the OP to dump all his cash on a single, 80GB drive for his new system. That's like what, Vista and 5 games + office apps and about 20GB of media, if that? He also wants to dual boot OSX, that'll require a few GB anyway (don't know, don't really use macs). So rather than get 1TB of storage for 1/3 of the cost that's almost as fast, you're going to recommend that? How do you even take yourselves seriously and continue to attempt giving advice.

Yep I totally agree its not worth it at all!! Besides Core I7 is a full generation ahead of Amd's AM3 cpu's. I keep reading all this crap where people are claiming am3 955's are getting close to the same performance on benchmarks as the Core I7 920's.
THis maybe true from there point of view and maybe with HT and turbo turned off it could be possible.Not really completely sure on that one yet but i am reseaching it.
But what I do know is with my Core I7 920 system in my sig at stock settings but with everything on turbo and HT is almost twice the speed in every way of our local pc store with a demo Am3 955 setup.
I have also compared some benchies online between the core i7 and am3 955 and most those benchies seem to have the I7 920 at stock with turbo and ht off and the AM3 955 overclocked to 3.6 which I dont think is fair.
But anyways in those benches the 920 still comes out on top on about 90% of the tests. sure its only a point or two more but its still enough in my opinion to be the buyers choice.
I am not saying by any means that the am3 cpu's are bad at all its just the core i7's right now are infact better again in my opinion based on benches.
It really comes down to what you can afford.
If you can afford the best of the best and want a chance for future upgrades for say a 6 core with 12 theads cpu then stick with buying a core i7 1366 rig.
Otherwise if your strapped for cash and have a tight budget go with am3 which is still a good system and it to has promise for future upgrade with 6 core 6 threads..
To tell you the truth I would think anything you buy this generation will be more then enough for any user out there for years to come.
Ok well if you can get by with all my yammering ons I will cut this short and say +1 for Core I7 system....

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Thanks for answering the question.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: IdontcareThanks for answering the question.
Your welcome; maybe you can work on being helpful or contributing to the thread in your next set of posts.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your welcome; maybe you can work on being helpful or contributing to the thread in your next set of posts.

Nearly every post I read of yours in this thread is inflammatory, borderline insulting and sometimes just outright insulting. That you want to lecture me on what it means to make a helpful post is just simply laughable. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work, every thread needs a clown to keep things light and we always appreciate when upstanding folks such as yourself open their mouths and volunteer for the job without hesitation.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004

Nearly every post I read of yours in this thread is inflammatory, borderline insulting and sometimes just outright insulting. That you want to lecture me on what it means to make a helpful post is just simply laughable. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work, every thread needs a clown to keep things light and we always appreciate when upstanding folks such as yourself open their mouths and volunteer for the job without hesitation.
Is your soap box squashed yet or what? Offer information or don't post, no one likes a wanna-be moderator.

EDIT: On second thought, the information that needed to be presented has been, I won't reply anymore.