Beef shoulder clod

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I bought this block of beef earlier this week. It's USDA Select but at $1.60 /lb, I couldn't say no. That's cheaper than ground beef and similar to pork prices. Pretty amazing you can get 18.60 pounds of beef for under $30.
Q1BG2gV.jpg

I've never cooked shoulder clod before so I went to Youtube university and watched couple of videos on how to use this cut of meat. I learned that this cheap cut of beef is pretty versatile and is where top blade roast/steak and flat iron steak comes from.
rWnF38G.jpg

I decided to separate the top blade section from the rest of the shoulder clod. I sliced the top blade into 1" flat iron steaks and smaller trim and scrap pieces into stew and soup meat. My dog parked herself by the sink and ate her fill of scrap trim meat.
uD2CUxA.jpg

gr4MoDR.jpg

I vacuumed sealed and froze all the 1" flat iron steaks to grill later. The remaining large shoulder clod, I slathered with pickle juice and yellow mustard and rubbed it with SPOG rub.
XJ2bi4j.jpg

I placed the shoulder clod on the Big Kamado Joe at 250 F. I'm using Western lump charcoal as fuel and oak and cherry wood chunks for smoke. I don't really know how long or at what internal meat temperature I will cook to. I'm thinking about 185 F internal temp so I can slice the meat rather than pulling it but that's up in the air. I plan to probe for tenderness starting at around 180 F.
ZOX0jWG.jpg

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I wish I had your options for buying meat. My grocery store does have good deals on lean ground beef though..thats about it though :(

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I wish I had your options for buying meat. My grocery store does have good deals on lean ground beef though..thats about it though :(
USA definitely has the cheapest meat prices. This shoulder clod was cheaper than normal because the sell by date was only 1 day. So it was discounted. And I bought it at Costco Business Center so it's even cheaper.

But having access to cheap meat prices is both blessing and a curse. I have four fridges and freezers full of meat and yet I still buy because something is a good deal. It's sickness I tell you. Plus I'll probably die early due to high cholesterol and heart attack from eating all this red meat.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
USA definitely has the cheapest meat prices. This shoulder clod was cheaper than normal because the sell by date was only 1 day. So it was discounted. And I bought it at Costco Business Center so it's even cheaper.

But having access to cheap meat prices is both blessing and a curse. I have four fridges and freezers full of meat and yet I still buy because something is a good deal. It's sickness I tell you. Plus I'll probably die early due to high cholesterol and heart attack from eating all this red meat.

but you will die a happy man. Funny enough, my older brother showed up today with loads of meat from Costco. I'm very happy right now.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
5.5 hours in. Earlier, I poured some beef broth on top of the meat since it looked little dry. Meat internal probed ~172 F when checked with Thermapen. I'll probably let it go another 30 minutes more before I wrap it in foil. I think I'm going to let it go to 200 F+ like a brisket since it probed tough at 172 F.
DD4lIUf.jpg

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Moved the meat to the pan and added little beef broth to the pan and covered it with foil. It's currently reading 172 F. I'll check it next when it hits 200 F.
C5LCXpo.jpg

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
You might have to fight my wife.

I don't think I've seen marinated chops at my Costco but I do regularly buy their thick cut chops. Good stuff.

How big is she? I have a feeling I might lose this fight.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The shoulder clod ended up little dry. I pulled it at 205 F and vented it for 10 minutes before placing it in the cooler to rest for about 4 hours. I think it might have continued to cook in the cooler while resting. But even though the meat was dry, the flavor was excellent. I think it tastes better than brisket.
RiYxgHY.jpg

But the reason why I rested the meat so long was because my wife picked up some spicy braised monkfish and some spicy raw oysters for dinner so I was too full to eat the shoulder clod. Both the monkfish and the oysters were awesome. The raw oysters are from South Korea. There was a roadshow at the local mart and the merchants brought it with them on the plane from South Korea. Pretty cool. I need to cook some pork to eat with the spicy raw oysters.
oFTUaby.jpg
8OYI1KI.jpg

qse7ddX.jpg
g2oJ0wj.jpg