Question Because of course it did. Hung driver installation

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I tend to have haunted PC's. I avoid GPU driver updates especially for years, because of how they tend to go. I have a game that black screens when started and Epic recommended installing the latest AMD driver, so I am. And of course, at 57%, "3:00 remaining", it's hung for 10-15 minutes now. No 'cancel' button.

Now, killing a driver update mid-execution seems pretty damned likely to cause a problem. Any other suggestions? I can't even update the damn driver?

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I tend to have haunted PC's. I avoid GPU driver updates especially for years, because of how they tend to go. I have a game that black screens when started and Epic recommended installing the latest AMD driver, so I am. And of course, at 57%, "3:00 remaining", it's hung for 10-15 minutes now. No 'cancel' button.

Now, killing a driver update mid-execution seems pretty damned likely to cause a problem. Any other suggestions? I can't even update the damn driver?
Extract the driver package and manually update the driver through device manager?

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
We have the same conversations with clients, but seriously, waiting years to perform updates just tends to cause you additional problems when they do happen. Cancel the update (I'm sure you have by now) DD all your drivers away and start again with the latest driver.

That being said, there's a theme here that you may have more going on with your computer, and this could just be 1 of many symptoms.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Actually, here's what happened. After maybe 20 minutes of hung, a little alert flashed saying 'reboot needed'. Huh. Still hung.

So, I just rebooted mid-update. After the reboot, the first message was a popup saying 'your pc has changed. Reboot needed'. Huh? I just rebooted. So I rebooted again. And it just worked. Including the game that hadn't been working.