Be wary of answering the phone these days.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Alleged survey people are calling like crazy. They offer you free shit but its almost always a lie. Especially if it starts with a robot and they ask you to press buttons.
Some of them are linked with political pollsters, so if you respond to a poll they sell your number to telemarketers cuz they know you'll always answer.

And if you hang up on one, then get another call immediately afterwards, its usually a real person also trying to scam you because the robot didnt work. Get some sort of call blocker and keep it handy, at least until November. The kind of call blocker that doesnt even let your phone ring. Then, sleep better at night.

Also, if you live in a swing state be prepared for even more calls than normal in an election year.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't mind taking the occasional survey, we complain that we don't have a say in stuff, well there's your chance. Problem with a lot of them is how they are ridiculously long. Once you're half way through, you already spent that much time so may as well finish. Of course some may not even be legit at all. Typically I can tell just by the voice of the person if it's a scam. Scammers have a "scammy" voice, if it makes sense. I can usually tell right away. That and the weird sounds and delay before anyone says anything when you pick up.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If you're not in my contact list, I don't hear your call. Leave a message if it's important.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I wont' usually even answer a phone if I don't recognize the number.
95% solved a long time ago. http://www.nomorobo.com

Of course it doesn't work for mobile, but I never give out my cell# so I hardly get solicitation there.

You don't have to give it out for them to find you on the database. All mobile numbers are listed these days. Soliciters, I believe pay to get them. Only $7995 for all US numbers!

The CPL USA Database contains over 430 million individual cell phone numbers! Our cell phone lists include every area code, every NXX (prefix) and wireless carrier! Each area code list also includes the SMS carrier messaging domain for SMS based text marketing campaigns! In addition, we offer the complete Canadian, Puerto Rican & Virgin Island database!

Consider our database a "Master List" of every mobile cellular number that currently exists. Our in house experts are constantly maintaining and updating our mobile lists on a daily basis. Our goal is to provide our clients with the most accurate, complete and up to date mobile database anywhere!

Each area code includes every cell phone number and SMS messaging domain for only $295.00. Our clients include small businesses, insurance agencies, realtors, restaurants, networkers, politicians, predictive dialer users, and non-profit organizations just to name a few.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
The house phone is free (grandfathered Ooma with no monthly fee), and it exists pretty much to catch all the crap. I never answer it, but I listen to the messages.

I never answer the mobile unless I recognize the number.

I also drive home using a different route every night, and I've lined the attic with TWO layers of aluminum foil.