Be sure to check your kid's candy for dangerous things in them

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I wonder how many $100's of dollars worth of gummies that fiend handed out? /s

What a pile of horse-hockey.... Fox news might as well be the Enquirer! :rolleyes:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think it's BS that's correct and another link to the same/similar story changes nothing.

IF by some remote chance a kid got THC gummies (which again I doubt) it was a moronic blunder on the stoners part and nothing else .... unless YOU think he meant to hand out $30-$50 worth of THC-edible gummies to kids?

:tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Meanwhile alcohol and guns, all good.

This is fear mongering for gullible idiot shitty conservatives.

I don't doubt some people do funny shit with edibles here and there, but it's the least of our worries.

Reactions: Captante

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
the closest thing i have to a phobia is probably eating halloween candy

(or maybe stopping posting on ATOT)

the supposed poison/needle scares from 30 years ago terrified me

• Wow

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
anyone ever had parents hand them cans of beer when trick or treating? I never saw it or heard of it, yet we have so many of these bs stories of copaganda about the evil weed

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
We found a gun in one of our kid's Twix bar this year.

The bad people keep coming with new ways to ruin Halloween.

yT5I_v4lnmwHgBnYyHkcCa0gOcP9fYSWVZ_ppXFiJJI.jpg

;)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
anyone ever had parents hand them cans of beer when trick or treating?

Nope but I HAVE been handed an Irish-coffee and another time a "bourbon-spiked" hot chocolate!

Been a long time since my daughters went trick or treating! :)

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Suddenly trick or treating becomes popular with the teenagers in tuxedo!
When I was a kid in west L.A. AFAIK, nobody trick or treated who was close to full grown. It was literally a kids thing. I did it, came home with a bag full of candy, much of it mediocre, some of it OK, some choice.

I find it hard to relate to the obsession of the people around here in the SF Bay Area with Halloween. They seem to live for it, it's their favorite holiday, doesn't seem to matter how old they are. In fact it's so favorite there's no other holiday. I don't have any costumes, have never tripped on what costume I'd like to make or buy.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
When I was a kid in west L.A. AFAIK, nobody trick or treated who was close to full grown. It was literally a kids thing. I did it, came home with a bag full of candy, much of it mediocre, some of it OK, some choice.

No one close to adulthood trick or treated because they weren't giving out bags of pot! ;)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Updated post with pic. I thought the police report post included it but realized it didn't.

There's still a chance this was some weird accident though. Candy bar fell in someone's sewing kit and caught needle just right? lol never know I guess.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Was going to make a post on a similar topic... normally I don't pay attention to Halloween since kids obviously won't come to the condos here... but I went on a pretty long walk. Went to the mall and there was a TON of people there in costume. Must have run some sort of promotion or something. Walked home, and by the time I left the mall it was dark. I think I saw 2 groups out? I saw three people walking their dog.

I definitely got the impression that parents wanted to their kids to do something like the Mall thing (or maybe "Trunk or Treat"?) rather than let their kids go door to door.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Just heard a podcast about that exact topic. Seems there have been a number of cases where it was alleged, but the story turned out to be something else.

This one (listed in that wiki link) is still utterly horrifying though. What kind of psychopath murders his own 8-year-old for the insurance money? And attempts to murder several other children just in an effort to try and pretend it was a stranger's "poisoned Halloween candy" that did it?

Seems it was just random luck that meant the other children didn't consume the poisoned candy immediately.

In a 1974 case, an 8-year-old boy in Deer Park, Texas, died after eating a cyanide-laced package of Pixy Stix. A subsequent police investigation eventually determined that the poisoned candy had been planted in his trick-or-treat pile by the boy's father, Ronald Clark O'Bryan, who also gave out poisoned candy to other children in an attempt to cover up the murder, though no other children consumed the poisoned treats. The murderer, who had wanted to claim life insurance money, was executed in 1984. In this case, the distribution of poisoned candy is true, but this was a targeted murder, rather than the random or indiscriminate murder from the myth.

• Wow

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
"Trunk-or-Treat" and mall walks are lame as shit. No point in even doing anything at that point. Just buy a couple bags of candy and stay home.
I tend to agree they are lame, but as the parent of 2 kids who lives very rural, driving them from house to house in the country sucks. I can then either drive the 30 minutes to the only "real" town and drop them off to wander in unknown area, or take them to the next village over where everyone sets up in a parking lot. They still get to dress up and still get candy, plus it only takes like 10 mins to make a circuit.
Its lame, and easy, but they seem to enjoy it.