be quiet! power supply is not that quiet :(

Axel Scotte

Nov 18, 2016
I built a custom PC about 6 months ago. It's an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 16gb RAM, GTX 1050. I also have a be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM 500W power supply. Early on (but I think past 30 days after installing it), I could hear a clicking from the fan. It happens only intermittently but I definitely narrowed it down to the power supply fan. All the online power calculators tell me that I need 400W or less. When I emailed customer support, they said I can send it and they will take a look at it. The only thing is that it happens intermittently. So it might not happen when they try it. It's not that loud but still bugs the hec out of me. Has anyone experienced anything like this and how did you fix it?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
From your description, it sounds like a defective fan bearing.

Your only options are to open up the PSU (which will void your warranty), and replace the fan. Sometimes adding oil to the bearing helps, but the way Be Quiet's bearings are designed, it likely won't do anything.

Other than that, you will have to send it in for RMA.

Axel Scotte

Nov 18, 2016
Thanks for the response UsandThem. I guess I've been hesitant to send it back for 2 reasons:

1. It's an intermittent clicking. If it doesn't happen at their place, I'm out shipping charges. I did email customer support and they said if they find nothing wrong with it, they would just send it back. I wouldn't want to go through all that just to get it back with nothing changed.

2. I have an older power supply (OCZ Stealth Stream 500W) as backup. The ATX power connection is different than what's on the motherboard, ie the 24-pin and 8-pin on the motherboard and 16-pin and 4-pin on the power supply. I have an adapter for the 16 to 24-pin and according to the motherboard manual, it will accept a 4-pin in the 8-pin socket. Is it safe to use the 16 to 24-pin adapter while the beQuiet power supply is being repaired ?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've never messed around with adapters like that, so I'd have to defer to someone else answering that question for you.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not to certain about the 16 pin that you are talking about. The OCZ500sxs has a 20+4pin ATX motherboard connector. I can't ever remember a 16pin ATX powersupply (there was a 20pin which is why for a long number of years we had the 20+4pin designs). The only 16 pin connections I can remember are all proprietary (Dell used one, and I believe Fujitsu, and possibly Sun Microsystems). Each of those had their own proprietary pinout standard and would require a specific adapter for each.

If your OCZ does in fact have 16 pin connector on it, that would not make it a standard OCZ500sxs and instead something customized (or a different model entirely). I would not use any kind of adapter with it unless you know for a fact what the pin out is on the 16 pin connector.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
actually the problem is that you bought a fe-male power supply!
If you want quiet, always buy a male power supply!!