be careful with that gorilla glue

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Pretty much everything in "the British-derived legal system" needs a lawyer to get things done.

Including some major events that shaped our current world.

The lady is smart, not dumb. Nefariously so, but smart. If she really cared, advice was on the interwebz that nail polish remover could loosen the strands up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You are correct. I admit that I am completely ignorant of the myriad issues that are very unique to the hair of black women.

But for cripes sake why in the fudge would anyone in their right mind spray Gorilla F**kin glue on it.

I guess she will be able to spend her gofundme money on weaves and hair pieces...

I wonder how much Sh!thead is going to get for his lip glued to a Solo Cup.

I didn't think her stupidity could be topped but old dumb@ss had to glue his lip to a cup.

:oops:

Next I'll get a lecture from Zin about how I don't understand the myriad issues people have with their lips and gluing them to a Solo Cup.

well, think about it....There's hundreds of different types of adhesives out there, right? It's not like everyone is going to be specifically familiar with how serious Gorilla Glue is, outside of picking it up to use it for the intended purposes. I assume there is a legitimate reason for her to want to use, what she probably thought was a milder adhesive--like Elmer's? as a substitute for that stuff she normally uses, which I guess is used to keep natural hair flat and immobile, under a wig?

I'm just guessing about all that from the, well, that entire video and it is all I can infer from what she was trying to do.

She probably found that gorilla glue was the only adhesive in that spray can format, like her hair treatment, and in her experience, rationally assumed that if you are spraying smaller droplets, it would be easy to deal with? (though I guess when you think about it, that is probably way worse, because you end up with more consistent spread of molecules over the target area and some serious binding, lol).

All I'm saying is that outside of having specific experience, and need, for all of the different strengths of adhesives out there, you can imagine it really isn't that strange of a mistake to make? No matter how many warning you put on a label, a certain number of people aren't really going to understand the seriousness of those warnings until they actually use it. We're all pretty stupid animals in certain ways.

I dunno. I'm just waiting for her next video when she mixes up some JB Weld and starts applying it to her scalp.

Reactions: pcgeek11

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
well, think about it....There's hundreds of different types of adhesives out there, right? It's not like everyone is going to be specifically familiar with how serious Gorilla Glue is, outside of picking it up to use it for the intended purposes. I assume there is a legitimate reason for her to want to use, what she probably thought was a milder adhesive--like Elmer's? as a substitute for that stuff she normally uses, which I guess is used to keep natural hair flat and immobile, under a wig?

I'm just guessing about all that from the, well, that entire video and it is all I can infer from what she was trying to do.

She probably found that gorilla glue was the only adhesive in that spray can format, like her hair treatment, and in her experience, rationally assumed that if you are spraying smaller droplets, it would be easy to deal with? (though I guess when you think about it, that is probably way worse, because you end up with more consistent spread of molecules over the target area and some serious binding, lol).

All I'm saying is that outside of having specific experience, and need, for all of the different strengths of adhesives out there, you can imagine it really isn't that strange of a mistake to make? No matter how many warning you put on a label, a certain number of people aren't really going to understand the seriousness of those warnings until they actually use it. We're all pretty stupid animals in certain ways.

I dunno. I'm just waiting for her next video when she mixes up some JB Weld and starts applying it to her scalp.
I consider it a hugely stupid mistake, and she deserved to have her head shaved. Products are named to elicit a response and recognition. Gorillas are powerful and strong, so any person capable of thought will associate a glue named after a gorilla with tenacious holding power. Or you could do something crazy like read the directions. If you're still uncertain after reading the directions with the extensive warnings including possible death, you could test it on a small area, like your arm, and see how it works out. She's the not yet homeless, female equivalent of Cheez.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I would find it very hard to believe this was merely a mistake.

Superglue sets so fast that it's extremely hard to work with even for a minute. Whatever you are attaching together, you better be damn ready to set it once, maybe get in one adjustment, before your job is "set in stone".

Hair care is a time-consuming process to get the right look down. Gorilla Glue won't give anyone that much time.

Not to mention, the enormous stress will normally cause a DIYer to google up a removal solution, and acetone/nail polish remover comes up on the first page of results.