Be careful if you are walking on the side of a highway!

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Thread title should be "Be careful trying to cross a busy highway, IE dont do it"

"He was attempting to cross the westbound lanes of Interstate 595 when there was oncoming traffic,"

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Pretty sure pedestrian traffic is forbidden on interstate highways such as I595?

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I remember when you used to be able to run across I95. Barely... Better not trip! You might be able to do it at ~2am now, but any time during the day, you're gonna be waiting a loooong time... Til about 2am actually :^D

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I remember when you used to be able to run across I95. Barely... Better not trip! You might be able to do it at ~2am now, but any time during the day, you're gonna be waiting a loooong time... Til about 2am actually :^D

Yep.... toss in how bad many people are at accurately judging stuff like closing-speeds and its a recipe for disaster. (same kind of thing happens with fast-moving oncoming trains)

Last edited:

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
The area of 595 where he got hit (based on the article) is very confusing with multiple exits/turns coming out of the airport. It's a little slower than the rest (where most people are going 75mph+), but you sure as shit are not looking for a pedestrian on the highway - especially at 6:30am when it's still dark right now. Even if you break down on the side of the highway, you stay in your car or right by it. Other than being drunk/high or having a death wish, this is not something a normal person would consider a good idea.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Seems like the nearest gas stations were 1 mile away from his location. Unless Haskins seriously thought that was faster than roadside or calling a teammate....

This might be out of turn, but he sure couldn't estimate speeds well on the field. The times he tried to run like he was Josh Allen or any other mobile QB and then got caught from behind....LEAD FEET would describe how he stood in the pocket.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Sad day for the truck driver. That has to suck to see somebody pass under your view and nothing you can do. As a driver you can try your best to look ahead for developing hazards, but both vertical and horizontal corners hide the situation and greatly shorten your reaction possibility.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Sad day for the truck driver. That has to suck to see somebody pass under your view and nothing you can do. As a driver you can try your best to look ahead for developing hazards, but both vertical and horizontal corners hide the situation and greatly shorten your reaction possibility.

Reminds me of the ending of "Sons of Anarchy" :confused:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
being in the burbs of Minneapolis after George Floyd the protestors would go on the highway thru Minneapolis and the cops always wanted them to get off the highway. I was wrestling with the issue myself until a trucker who got thru a barrier almost hit the protestors. The cops were trying to force vehicles off the last exit but somehow a semi got through. The protestors beat the crap out of the driver too. I felt so bad for the driver since he never intended to hit or harm anyone.

Since then I decided no pedestrians on highways even protestors. Everyone knows to not walk on a highway, it is too dangerous. Why didn't this guy call someone or the police. Minnesota even has highway helpers that attempt to help cars to prevent backups during rush hour. Even if this guys called 911 I am sure they would have helped him get a tow truck driver with some gas.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
no pedestrians on highways even protestors. Everyone knows to not walk on a highway, it is too dangerous.

Especially considering that Haskins could have easily afforded to be riding to the airport in a personal limousine ..... any word on if he was intoxicated? (have to figure he was)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Especially considering that Haskins could have easily afforded to be riding to the airport in a personal limousine ..... any word on if he was intoxicated? (have to figure he was)
Trying to hitchhike or flag down a helper would have made more sense than walking around, wherever he was going. He's not a local, doesn't know the area. He was there because Trubisky invited a bunch of offensive players to get to know each better.

Haskins...has done things that didn't make sense when a situation is under his control. Him holding his little party was what ended his career in Washington for good. There were protocols for COVID and the head coach was going through cancer treatment. Getting unceremoniously cut that early is very hard to do because at the very least, the business environment does not encourage cutting rookie qbs early.

The investigators will probably keep the sordid details hush-hush if the dead person helped contribute to his/her own demise.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

A possible witness account.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I see people walking, running, bike riding along busy roads and highways all the time. They have a lot more faith in their fellow man than I do, or are terribly naive.

Doubt that? Look at how many times police/troopers cars are hit sitting beside the highway, and with their blue lights on. Too many times, someone is sitting in the driver's seat, but no one is actually driving,

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I like to watch stuff like this ... keeps me on my toes! (I-95 is a meat-grinder)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Haskins might have been kicked out of another ride and left stranded with no car on that highway, and partially impaired.

The witness may not be reliable; he himself said he wasn't paying close attention to see if a broken down vehicle was there. But presuming he is reliable, that is a scenario that can be considered.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

My personal feelings towards this piece of shit is "Psychopath wins Darwin award due to being drunk but masterfully leaves a legacy of being adored and defended for putting other people and himself in danger all thanks to a golden arm on his body."

What I find amazing...is the beatification and sanctification of this guy after death. Victims, not abusers, have to do all the work in this country to have their point heard.

Reactions: pcgeek11