Israel declared over the weekend that it is cutting
off ties with the BBC to protest a repeat
broadcast on non-conventional weapons said to be
in Israel.

Before the broadcast Saturday, Israeli officials
tried to pressure the BBC to cancel the
broadcast, saying that the program was biased
and presented Israel as an evil dictatorship,
ignoring the existential threat it was facing.

The broadcast deals with Israel's attempts to
maintain a policy of ambiguity on its nuclear
weapons, through the Va'anunu affair, the trial
of Brigadier General Yitzhak Ya'akov and the
incidents of cancer among the Dimona nuclear
reactor workers.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Like everyone doesn't already know Israel has nuclear weapons. Hell, the probably have sea launched ICBMS in thier shiny new Geman made submarines.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
So when did the BBC shift fromn a public broadcasting network to such a political beast?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
So when did the BBC shift fromn a public broadcasting network to such a political beast?

????

It's a program on Israel's not-so-secret nuclear program

They don't like it - tough.

Andy

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Ummm...just about every major US news networks has done stories on Iraqs purported weapons programs?? Does that make them political beasts.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
"protest a repeat broadcast on non-conventional weapons"

Sounds like an interesting piece by the BBC. Wouldn't mind checking it out.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Sounds like an interesting piece by the BBC. Wouldn't mind checking it out

I saw a BBC documentary about the Israeli nuclear program. Cool documentary.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

Ummm...just about every major US news networks has done stories on Iraqs purported weapons programs?? Does that make them political beasts.

No, but do you see US PUBLIC broadcasting, not private, getting complaints of bias leveled at it by multiple ogvt's including their own along with their own citizens?

In the UK Fox news recieved 9 complaints of pro-US bias, they were banned. The BBC recieved over 400 complaints of obvious anti-US bias by UK residents, the largest number ever recorded against them, what was done? Nothing, the same company who handles these affairs and banned Fox is also the company who handled the recent BBC poll and television show about why the world hates america that drew so much criticism, maybe that's why they didn't have time to act on those 400 complaints.

The BBC is public, not private, huge difference...

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

No, but do you see US PUBLIC broadcasting, not private, getting complaints of bias leveled at it by multiple ogvt's including their own along with their own citizens?

In the UK Fox news recieved 9 complaints of pro-US bias, they were banned. The BBC recieved over 400 complaints of obvious anti-US bias by UK residents, the largest number ever recorded against them, what was done? Nothing, the same company who handles these affairs and banned Fox is also the company who handled the recent BBC poll and television show about why the world hates america that drew so much criticism, maybe that's why they didn't have time to act on those 400 complaints.

The BBC is public, not private, huge difference...

I don't know where you get your facts from, but:

I don't *think* Fox news was banned (please prove me wrong)

The complaint system is in no way managed by the BBC.

Could someone point me to some of the negative aspects of the "what the world thinks of america" (not why does the world hate america) program (I didn't watch it).

EDIT: Just found some responses here.

Seems quite balanced in the positive/negative slant. I guess I can't really comment unless I watched it though.

Cheers,

Andy

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Here is a story outlining how the BBC were lambasted for pulling this program from the schedule at the last minute.

I quote:

The film was dropped from the BBC2 schedule at short notice on Sunday night because news coverage of the Azores summit on the Iraq war overran. But to the fury of viewers the programme was replaced with a repeat of a Fred Dibnah documentary about windmills.

Viewers angry with the decision to shelve the programme yesterday made 300 phone calls and sent 720 emails to the BBC.

What do you do?

Andy

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
Seems to me Israel is starting to become a police state where the media is concerned. PBS ran an interesting piece on how the Israili police (military?) really go after reporters and cameramen.

I think Israel needs a wedgie :eek:

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
So it's "non-conventional" weapons now not "weapons of mass distruction"?

Let's try it out...

Have we found any non-conventional weapons in Iraq yet?

Hmmm, doesn't quite have that same edge does it?