BBC: Fox host says he 'hasn't washed hands in 10 years'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Plus the probable higher percentage of anti-vaxxers who watch Fox compared to any other news network, combined with Fox's fence-like stance on vaccination makes Fox's reason for this all the more cloudy.

Assuming this was originally intended as a joke, the most appropriate setting for it would be on some show that routinely takes the piss out of anti-vaxxers and other wilfully ignorant people. As it's Fox, are they just being incredibly inept by mockng their audience's deeply-held beliefs?

Yeah sure bud - look at all those DIRTY FOX NEWS LOVING BIBLE BELT STATES with their MEASLES OUTBREA---- Oh wait you fucking numb nut

150130205244-map-measles-north-america-super-169.jpg

Reactions: SlowSpyder

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah sure bud - look at all those DIRTY FOX NEWS LOVING BIBLE BELT STATES with their MEASLES OUTBREA---- Oh wait you fucking numb nut

Sadly, he is correct.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5784985/

Our findings demonstrate that ideology has a direct effect on vaccine attitudes. In particular, conservative respondents are less likely to express pro-vaccination beliefs than other individuals. Furthermore, ideology also has an indirect effect on immunization propensity.

So while that particular outbreak happened in California and there is certainly a subset of liberals who are anti-vaccine, overall it appears conservatives are in fact more likely to be anti-vaxxers than liberals.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Of course you should wash your hands after you shit or before you cook, etc. But I find it interesting how many guys are like "you're disgusting if you don't wash your hands after you touch yourself" then have no problem telling their girlfriends/wives to put the same dick in their mouths.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I hate that anything would ever make me defend Fox News, but it's pretty obvious he's joking and being intentionally absurd.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

No need for the abuse (not why why you blew your top over this either), but perhaps you might want to consider that this is talking about the number of reported cases in a recent-ish outbreak.

"Reported cases" does not represent a 1:1 relationship with wilfully ignorant anti-vaxxers (or their children who are subject to such abuse). Also, people who are immunocompromised are at higher risk of contracting infection, as are obviously the children of wilfully ignorant anti-vaxxers, as are children too young to be vaccinated, but also vaccines do not provide a 100% guarantee of protection against the disease they are designed to prevent.

Also, the huge figure in California I'm pretty sure is down to the outbreak that is believed to have occurred at Disneyland, which people from all over the country and world visit.

Furthermore, do you honestly think that the picture you posted in any way accurately shows the amount of anti-vaxxers living in specific states in the US? The state of California has 39.45 million people in. Herd immunity in mass vaccination is believed to be effective at 90-95% vaccination levels. That means millions of people need to be unvaccinated for an outbreak to become significantly likely, not 1-92 in each state, and no medical professional with an ounce of integrity would ever report a single case of a disease in a state as an "outbreak".

IMO the only thing that image is likely to plausibly represent are the travel patterns of people who visited Disneyland and carried the disease. Do you want to try and argue that no-one in California watches Fox News?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
No need for the abuse (not why why you blew your top over this either), but perhaps you might want to consider that this is talking about the number of reported cases in a recent-ish outbreak.
Most of his replies in P&N seem to involve some sort of insult regarding the poster's intelligence.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

2015? There's more current data available than that, but then you'd have to be intellectually honest to include that wouldn't you? California ranks high due to level of foreign visitors, and I suppose citing unvaccinated Orthodox Jewish communities being measles vectors doesn't jive with your agenda to bash liberals. Texas and North Carolina have both had religious communities come down with measles.

And where does America receive most infected people from? Places like Israel and Latin America, both hyper religious areas with low vaccination numbers. Take your holy roller indignation and pound it up your numb nut ass.

Last edited:

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I bothered to read the article and the guy said it was intended as a joke. He was referring to what he sees as an obsession with people constantly sanitizing their hands with Purell and the like. I think that it likely is as he says because "if it's too small for me to see it doesn't exist" doesn't sound like a legit thing.

I believe most reasonable individuals here who read the article and watched the video agree that it was a joke. This was just a BBC FOX/Trump trigger article.

I always wash my hands after using the bathroom. I take reasonable precautions against germs and me getting sick or making someone else sick. I don't carry around hand sanitizer and I don't use the sanitize wipes at all the grocery stores to wipe down the carts. We need to be exposed to some germs to help protect us from disease like vaccines that expose our bodies to small amounts of a virus to allow our system to strengthen its immunity.

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/kids-and-dirt-germs#1

Reactions: Zorba and Bitek
Mar 11, 2004
I hate that anything would ever make me defend Fox News, but it's pretty obvious he's joking and being intentionally absurd.

Yeah. The thing is, should he be surprised that he's taken seriously on absurd shit when he operates as a mouthpiece for an organization that operates with over the top absurdity as their base level?

Mar 11, 2004
Of course you should wash your hands after you shit or before you cook, etc. But I find it interesting how many guys are like "you're disgusting if you don't wash your hands after you touch yourself" then have no problem telling their girlfriends/wives to put the same dick in their mouths.

I find it interesting that you think that people who don't want the other person's dick in their mouth should be ok with them not washing their hands after they touched themselves. That particular issue is more a sign of common courtesy than anything. I mean, would you rather I whip my dick out to shake our hand with it instead?

And its not just that its about washing hands after handling your dick, its that regular washing of hands helps prevent the spread of disease to other people. If you're washing your hands once a day after shitting, you're definitely enabling the spread of germs.

Oh and I think you'd be surprised how many of the guys that don't wash their hands after pissing, also don't wash their hands after shitting (or at best do one of those "put hands under water for 2 seconds"), and don't wash their hands before or after cooking.

Now, are people ignoring a multitude of other worse vectors for said germs (like how soft drink fountains seem to regularly be shown to be more germ infested than the bathroom in the same place)? Absolutely.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I find it interesting that you think that people who don't want the other person's dick in their mouth should be ok with them not washing their hands after they touched themselves. That particular issue is more a sign of common courtesy than anything. I mean, would you rather I whip my dick out to shake our hand with it instead?
WTF are you talking about?

I was specifically talking about men, many of which I know, that think it is disgusting to touch your own dick without washing your hands but have no problem asking for a blowjob.