BBC: Fox host says he 'hasn't washed hands in 10 years'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Someone should gift this gentleman a big hunk of plutonium. It's not radioactive because he can't see it.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Someone should gift this gentleman a big hunk of plutonium. It's not radioactive because he can't see it.

I don't hate him, I feel pity for him. That he apparently wasted a great opportunity to become educated is a depressing thing to see when so many deserving people can't afford higher education. Working for Fox just makes him sleazy, an emblem of low information high bias infotainment. I'd only wish the 'thallium cufflinks' on people who deserve it. Traitors, for instance.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Mr Hegseth later told USA Today that his remarks were intended to be a joke.

Both his comments and his walkback of them just show that he's a "news host" for the correct company.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003

"My 2019 resolution is to say things on-air that I wouldn't say off air. I inoculate myself. Germs are not a real thing. I can't see them; therefore, they're not real"

"So you're getting immune to all the bacteria-"

"-Exactly, I can't get sick."

Pretty obviously a joke, guys. If the laughter throughout the clip wasn't enough of a hint, the inoculation part followed by the "can't see them" is a dead giveaway, since those contradictory statements wouldn't coexist if he were serious, but work when both are interpreted as punchlines. If slowspyder had posted something like this about a liberal, he'd have 20 downvotes already.

Nov 8, 2012
I think the vast majority of Americans are germaphobic to a near insanity level but this guy takes it the other way way too far. Not washing your hands after dumping a load is poor hygiene no matter how you cut it.

Frankly I wash my hands more to take off chemicals, motor oil, etc. than germs.

Truf.

I think there are reasonable things and unreasonable things. If you wash your hands everytime you take a piss - I think you're unreasonable, and I would be willing to make a fat bet that you get sick more often than normal. You're likely the type that does a hand sanitizer pump everytime you leave a room. You're not doing your immune system any good.

At the same time, during obvious certain times (IE: taking a dump, touching raw meat), washing your hands makes sense.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
LOL
"We live in a society where people walk around with bottles of Purell (a hand sanitiser) in their pockets, and they sanitise 19,000 times a day as if that's going to save their life," he said.

"I take care of myself and all that, but I don't obsess over everything all the time."

Of the public reaction, he said it was ridiculous how people took things so "literally and seriously" so that their "heads explode".

LOL. They even pulled Trump into it.

US President Donald Trump - who has given more interviews to Fox than any other major network - has admitted on several occasions to being a germophobe.

In his 1997 book, The Art of the Comeback, Mr Trump wrote: "One of the curses of American society is the simple act of shaking hands, and the more successful and famous one becomes the worse this terrible custom seems to get.

"I happen to be a clean hands freak. I feel much better after I thoroughly wash my hands, which I do as much as possible."

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

"My 2019 resolution is to say things on-air that I wouldn't say off air. I inoculate myself. Germs are not a real thing. I can't see them; therefore, they're not real"

"So you're getting immune to all the bacteria-"

"-Exactly, I can't get sick."

Pretty obviously a joke, guys. If the laughter throughout the clip wasn't enough of a hint, the inoculation part followed by the "can't see them" is a dead giveaway, since those contradictory statements wouldn't coexist if he were serious, but work when both are interpreted as punchlines. If slowspyder had posted something like this about a liberal, he'd have 20 downvotes already.
this was on fox, their views don't understand the subtlety of jokes.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ah the "it's only a joke" routine often used by my FIL to justify sending out shockingly ignorant chain emails sans any personal commentary to indicate anything in there is a joke and not his honest to God personal belief up front...

This way you get to feed the unwashed masses the nonsense they want to hear while still shirking responsibility for spreading ignorance because it's not your fault people don't "get the joke" that was never funny in the first place.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
this was on fox, their views don't understand the subtlety of jokes.

Plus the probable higher percentage of anti-vaxxers who watch Fox compared to any other news network, combined with Fox's fence-like stance on vaccination makes Fox's reason for this all the more cloudy.

Assuming this was originally intended as a joke, the most appropriate setting for it would be on some show that routinely takes the piss out of anti-vaxxers and other wilfully ignorant people. As it's Fox, are they just being incredibly inept by mockng their audience's deeply-held beliefs?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I bothered to read the article and the guy said it was intended as a joke. He was referring to what he sees as an obsession with people constantly sanitizing their hands with Purell and the like. I think that it likely is as he says because "if it's too small for me to see it doesn't exist" doesn't sound like a legit thing.

Reactions: HurleyBird

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Plus the probable higher percentage of anti-vaxxers who watch Fox compared to any other news network, combined with Fox's fence-like stance on vaccination makes Fox's reason for this all the more cloudy.

Assuming this was originally intended as a joke, the most appropriate setting for it would be on some show that routinely takes the piss out of anti-vaxxers and other wilfully ignorant people. As it's Fox, are they just being incredibly inept by mockng their audience's deeply-held beliefs?

Does come across as tone deaf and a bit detached during a worldwide resurgence of measles, and then there's ebola. Strains of flu are killing people regularly. It's almost like if people had a better understanding of how communicable diseases work, maybe they wouldn't be making jokes about their causes. This is Fox though, being inept with responsbility and journalistic standards is what they do.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yea, I'm the one eating paint chips, not those in the story that is at best, full of inaccuracies, at worst full of lies and propaganda meant to influence the public.

You're talking about the Trump campaign and admin, right?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The decline of reading comprehension appears to be connected to reflexive muscle spasms in the lower extremity's.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The decline of reading comprehension appears to be connected to reflexive muscle spasms in the lower extremity's.
ss.png

<== triggered

Mar 11, 2004
Aww, so he was joking? Well, see what happens when you peddle bullshit as a mouthpiece for anti-science organizations? I'd laugh if people start treating him like a leper now because of it though.

Ah the "it's only a joke" routine often used by my FIL to justify sending out shockingly ignorant chain emails sans any personal commentary to indicate anything in there is a joke and not his honest to God personal belief up front...

This way you get to feed the unwashed masses the nonsense they want to hear while still shirking responsibility for spreading ignorance because it's not your fault people don't "get the joke" that was never funny in the first place.

You should just send it back with "Failure to deliver joke, return to sender" like you blocked his address or something, and see how long it takes him to get the joke.