BBC Documentary Reveals Al-Qaeda Is A Complete Fabrication

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: event8horizon

wow, something we can agree on. what is the " post-9/11 occasions (top of the ESB during the 03 blackout and right underneath the 07 steampipe explosion" that u talk about???

Back in 03 I was up in NYC for an interview with an i-bank. After the interview I went to the empire state building, I had never been to NYC before. I was in the 2nd tier elevators, between the 84th and 85th floor when the power went out on August 14, 2003. I was in there for almost an hour with about 10 other people. After that we got to go to the observation deck and watch tens of thousands of people flood the streets.

I was supposed to be there just for the day, flew in on my own dime when I was a poor grad student. I had $300 with me, a brand new suit and shoes. I ended up calling a friend who put me up in a hotel, went to a bar, drank a few beers, came back and ended up splitting the hotel room (2 beds) with a guy I met. He turned out to be a coworker of the guy I just interviewed with.

Long story short, I blew through 3k, which I didn't think I would get back, but the bank paid it. I didn't get the job though.

Needless to say, for that 1hr, we thought the world has basically ended and AQ had hit the country with a nuke, or any other idea. Eventually we realized it was just a simple thing.

The steampipe explosion was in Aug 07. There was an old steampipe that ruptured right underneath my window. Initially we thought the building next to us was bombed, or grand central or the subways were hit, so we booked it out of the building, taking the elevator. We got down to street level and saw mud covered people everywhere. Moved away and finally got a view of a 300+ foot steam geyser in downtown manhattan.

Our building was closed for a week. Again, something that was very intense for 30min when we thought we were ground zero for a new attack.

In the end, I do not jump every time I hear a bang. I do not worry about terrorism all of the time and I love working and living in the city. I think the government has created a bunch of chickenshit ninnies because they wanted to grab more power and it's pretty sad that our ancestors fought for liberty and were brave enough to do it with guns, blood, and lives. Yet we piss our pants at the first event that happens and willingly give away freedom for little to no security.

Our increased "security" is a fucking joke. I have accidentally had a knife in my carry on bag twice was never caught. We flew from JFK to Maui in December 07 with an expired passport (me) and a drivers license with a name that didn't match the ticket name (wife's maiden name on the license). We went through 4 checkpoints. Not one TSA dipshit noticed either problem, nor did the airline people.

The *one* person who did notice my passport was expired was the Budget Rent a car person.

Our "security" is a farce and I am disgusted every time I am treated like a terrorist when I fly. Fascist pigs and underpaid/undertrained/undereducated assholes on an ego-trip run the system and waste our money on veneer security.

Wow, as long as we don't talk about economics I can see us agreeing on alot. :thumbsup:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

Wow, as long as we don't talk about economics I can see us agreeing on alot. :thumbsup:

Which is why I absolutely get pissed off when somebody pigeonholes me. My thinking is far more diverse than people believe.

One funny anecdote. I worked with a guy for 2 years, I always had suspicion he was gay, but never really knew. His significant other was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and he finally had to "out" himself so that he could ask for help during periods of time when he had to help his SO. He later said he never told me because he thought I would hold it against him, since I was so "conservative". Little did he know that I am very socially liberal and hate the government stepping in where it's not needed or wanted.

He found that just so amazingly surprising coming from a fiscal conservative who also fights for some government operations (like the Fed). Now I see him every time I am in town and have dinner with him. He was the #1 gift giver in our wedding and always asks how my wife is doing. Awesome guy, a true friend I'll always keep on the Christmas card list.

Anyway, enough tangents.

Yes, you'll find me far more complex and agreeable than you might think.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
a link to al qaeda.......wht do u mean???? would u like to see him interogated? thats all i would like to know.
This thread is about AQ being a "complete fabrication," not a general discussion about AQ.

"complete fabrication" ....well if the leader of the isi and a british national (mi6, rogue mi6 or double agent) had a hand in putting money in atta's hands (the alleged voice, or believed voice of flight 11) dosent that say something???
Yeah. That says he's an asshole.

i ask u again, would u like to see him interogated???
I really don't care. I'd rather see him tried in a court of law and, if found guilty, hung by the neck for his involvement.

i have to agree with u. damn, ive agreed with LK and TLC on this thread.....hahaha

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Which is why I absolutely get pissed off when somebody pigeonholes me. My thinking is far more diverse than people believe.

See, you're just one of those classic 'don't pigeonhole me' people.

Sep 12, 2004

Nobody was arguing technological armies except for YOU, moron.

Moron? LOL

Yet you tried to prove otherwise. I made a statement in which you replied "Uh huh" with a link after it. You tried to prove me wrong and couldn't. Wonder if you are going to try to obfuscate again....

Can you say straw man? Because you're sure eager to erect one so you can knock it down. But that's just the kind of fallacy you regularly engage in in here. It's the only argument you've got.

Spoke too soon

:laugh:
Wait. Now I understand. You can't see anything further than your own tiny little argument.

Well try taking your argument the point where you posted your ridiculous link in the first place. In fact, let me help you out.:

Didn't watch all three parts, eh?

Curtis claims that al Qaeda was "invented" in 2001. That is patently false.

Al Qaeda wasn't "invented", but the Neoconservatives *did* "invent" their vast technological intricate army. Al Qaeda and their super secret caves show us the lengths of the lies and fear mongering agenda.
Uh huh.

So you come along with your stupid link above, as if it supposedly proves that AQ was invented.

I post a link that shows that AQ was using caves in Afghanistan. AQ not only used caves, but fortified caves. iow, you didn't provide one iota of proof that AQ is a complete fabrication or invented. All you do is attempt to change the subject and then wrongly imagine that people are arguing about your diversionary idiocy.

Now do I need to explain that again or do you get it yet?

You have proven you are inherently stupid. I never made a claim that AQ was invented. You did.
No, I didn't make that claim. That's the basic premise of this thread, one I'm arguing against.

Try to keep up. I know it's difficult to do in your condition, but do give it your best effort.

Thanks.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Tab
Yeah, there was no al Qaeda before GW Bush came along. All the references to AQ from the Clinton admin were evidently planted in government archives by those nefarious neo-cons.

:roll:

It's ironic that the very same people who make absurd claims about fearmongering and manipulation by our government regularly employ those very same tactics themselves. But don't be afraid of some disorganized rag-tag militant Islamic group that flies planes into buildings and blows up buses (even though their ranks have allegedly swollen incredibly, according to these same fearmongers). Keep an eye out for those jackbooted thugs dropping from black helicopters instead.

Sheesh. The idiocy is just incredible.

The only idiocy is see here is your own. The documentary makes no such claim or reference.

He does this where in the documentary?
Watch it and find out.

In your first post in this thread you said that this movies states/implies that AQ didn't exist before GWB. You made the claim. Put up or shut up.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I helped transport over 40,000 Iraqi prisoners in my stay in Iraq. Regardless of an actual name, that's an aweful lot of "rag-tag criminals". Have you seen what an EFP (explosively formed projectile) can do? Read the list of US Soldier fatalities, very few are from small arms, aka an ak-47. Oh yeah, sniper fire is classified under small arms as well without giving the sniper claimed credit on the internet.

So call them whatever you want or claim that whoever named them, but there is quite a large group of bad guys in Iraq with enough explosives to flip an M1 Abrams.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I don't have 59 min right now, but I have NEVER seen a quantification for the forces of Al Queda. I have suspected fom day one that they are far less numerous and influential than the Bush admin thinks. Al Queda is almost a synoym for terrorist. The group must marvel at the free press it gets.

They are camel riders, living in caves, drinking goat milk. The only weapons they had were old AK-47's and ammo from the Soviet Unions invasion. They didn't have the vast technological army we were spoon fed to believe. Hell, Saddam's army was more threatening and you see how well armed they were now.
al-Qaeda must have superior numbers, equipment and training to our own military. How else could they survive for 7 years against our forces in Afghanistan, and at the same time also install themselves into Iraq under our watch? Quite an amazing feat.

Maybe we should start recruiting from their ranks?

You know how they survived? They know the territory. Just like if some foreign country came into the U.S. They would be fighting on our turf.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Cdubneeddeal

You know how they survived? They know the territory. Just like if some foreign country came into the U.S. They would be fighting on our turf.

Yeah, aka Red Dawn.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its a documentary by richard curtis.
its only aired by bbc, bbc funds a wide range of programs from strange sex documentaries to conspiracy nonsense like this.

its an old video by now actually...
the power of nightmares is about the power of propaganda. but oddly enough it resorts to the same tactics it so derides really. and of course it is basically a long conspiracy theory, taking separate independent events around the world and trying to desperately to link them in a simplistic grand narrative. spewing out frankly known facts with a bit of distortion to wow the ignorant.

i give curtis this, he makes a polished product.
but he merely encourages another type of irrational thinking to replace the irrational thinking he despises.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory is his playbook.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
ive always heard al qaeda meant "the database"

Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians. Inexplicably, and with disastrous consequences, it never appears to have occurred to Washington that once Russia was out of the way, Bin Laden's organisation would turn its attention to the west.

sometimes i wonder who thought that name up...some guy in a cubicle or OBL.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2...l/08/july7.development

are you for real!? "the database"?! seriously?! :roll:

I think your village just called...

TLC-

i was wondering if u would like to see this man interogated: isi director-general lt-gen mahmud ahmad. palehorse said he would NOT want (from what i gather) to see he interogated.
Actually, whackjob, I simply ignored your numerous requests to discuss the issue; given their irrelevance to the topic being discussed at the time.

Are you sponsored by Reynold's Wrap?!

Sep 12, 2004
Yeah, there was no al Qaeda before GW Bush came along. All the references to AQ from the Clinton admin were evidently planted in government archives by those nefarious neo-cons.

It's ironic that the very same people who make absurd claims about fearmongering and manipulation by our government regularly employ those very same tactics themselves. But don't be afraid of some disorganized rag-tag militant Islamic group that flies planes into buildings and blows up buses (even though their ranks have allegedly swollen incredibly, according to these same fearmongers). Keep an eye out for those jackbooted thugs dropping from black helicopters instead.

The only idiocy is see here is your own. The documentary makes no such claim or reference.

Watch it and find out.

In your first post in this thread you said that this movies states/implies that AQ didn't exist before GWB. You made the claim. Put up or shut up.
I did put up. I told you to watch the film and you'd find out where it was stated. If you don't want to do that then I'm not going to hold your hand through the process.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: TallBill
I helped transport over 40,000 Iraqi prisoners in my stay in Iraq. Regardless of an actual name, that's an aweful lot of "rag-tag criminals". Have you seen what an EFP (explosively formed projectile) can do? Read the list of US Soldier fatalities, very few are from small arms, aka an ak-47. Oh yeah, sniper fire is classified under small arms as well without giving the sniper claimed credit on the internet.

So call them whatever you want or claim that whoever named them, but there is quite a large group of bad guys in Iraq with enough explosives to flip an M1 Abrams.

The unfortunate part of the story is who are these rag taggers and where did they get their weapons? You can find that in the documentary "No End in Sight".

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

Watch it and find out.

I did put up. I told you to watch the film and you'd find out where it was stated. If you don't want to do that then I'm not going to hold your hand through the process.

I've watch the film more than once - I've seen no such claim or reference. I'm not asking for you to hold my hand. I'm asking that you hardcore right-wingers and hardcore left-wingers jpeyton stop distorting the message of these documentaries.

Are you going to be an adult, look-up the transcript and show me where this movies states/references that AQ didn't exsist before GWB was in office?

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
This documentary is old, but if you watch it and previously thought that Ron Paul was crazy, you may not think so afterward. I've seen it months ago.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

One funny anecdote. I worked with a guy for 2 years, I always had suspicion he was gay, but never really knew. His significant other was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and he finally had to "out" himself so that he could ask for help during periods of time when he had to help his SO. He later said he never told me because he thought I would hold it against him, since I was so "conservative". Little did he know that I am very socially liberal and hate the government stepping in where it's not needed or wanted.

He found that just so amazingly surprising coming from a fiscal conservative who also fights for some government operations (like the Fed). Now I see him every time I am in town and have dinner with him. He was the #1 gift giver in our wedding and always asks how my wife is doing. Awesome guy, a true friend I'll always keep on the Christmas card list.

Anyway, enough tangents.

Socially liberal, Fiscally Responsible, why is this combo so rare? Props, I rarely find myself reading a post of yours that I'm not in sincere agreement with.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100
This documentary is old, but if you watch it and previously thought that Ron Paul was crazy, you may not think so afterward. I've seen it months ago.

Ron Paul has nothing to do with this documentary. Please don't associate him with this.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
ive always heard al qaeda meant "the database"

That's one of the weirdest posts I've ever read here. You should probably know that the word "database" doesn't even exist in Urdu or Arabic (granted at least as far as I know).

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign

Anyway, enough tangents.

Socially liberal, Fiscally Responsible, why is this combo so rare? Props, I rarely find myself reading a post of yours that I'm not in sincere agreement with.

You can add me to the "Socially liberal, fiscally conservative club"... ;)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
its a documentary by richard curtis.
its only aired by bbc, bbc funds a wide range of programs from strange sex documentaries to conspiracy nonsense like this.

its an old video by now actually...
the power of nightmares is about the power of propaganda. but oddly enough it resorts to the same tactics it so derides really. and of course it is basically a long conspiracy theory, taking separate independent events around the world and trying to desperately to link them in a simplistic grand narrative. spewing out frankly known facts with a bit of distortion to wow the ignorant.

i give curtis this, he makes a polished product.
but he merely encourages another type of irrational thinking to replace the irrational thinking he despises.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory is his playbook.

You fail to back up your broad attacks on the film. If it's so thoroughly flawed as you say, you should be able to provide a number of specific examples.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Arkaign

Anyway, enough tangents.

You can add me to the "Socially liberal, fiscally conservative club"... ;)

What?!?!?! There is no such thing. Only Republican or Democrat!

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
palehorse- well state your position then in regards to Mahmoud Ahmad on this thread.

please explain why this very important person would say that AQ was a database. Robert Finlayson Cook (28 February 1946 ? 6 August 2005) was a politician in the British Labour Party. He was known as Robin Cook. He was Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs of the United Kingdom from 1997 to 2001. He resigned from his post as Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Council on 17 March 2003 in protest against the 2003 invasion of Iraq. At the time of his death he was president of the Foreign Policy Centre and a vice-president of the America All Party Parliamentary Group and the Global Security and Non-Proliferation All Party Parliamentary Group. He got a standing ovation for his speech.

Cook described Al-Qaida as a product of a western miscalculation, in a 2005 newspaper column:

"Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians."[13]

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: theflyingpig
It's all a vast NEOCON conspiracy to make you FEAR AL QAEDA. Who defines them you ask? The NEOCON COMMANDERS who are also a part of this conspiracy of EVIL, thats who! They want you to believe that there are MILLIONS of AL QAEDA TERRORISTS in Iraq so they can justify staying there longer. Why do they want to stay longer? Because they are all PROFITING from this war! Don't you see?! The longer we stay, the more the NEOCONS profit! AL QAEDA is nothing more than a NEOCON fabrication!

Harvey, is that you?

Sep 12, 2004
palehorse- well state your position then in regards to Mahmoud Ahmad on this thread.

please explain why this very important person would say that AQ was a database. Robert Finlayson Cook (28 February 1946 ? 6 August 2005) was a politician in the British Labour Party. He was known as Robin Cook. He was Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs of the United Kingdom from 1997 to 2001. He resigned from his post as Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Council on 17 March 2003 in protest against the 2003 invasion of Iraq. At the time of his death he was president of the Foreign Policy Centre and a vice-president of the America All Party Parliamentary Group and the Global Security and Non-Proliferation All Party Parliamentary Group. He got a standing ovation for his speech.

Cook described Al-Qaida as a product of a western miscalculation, in a 2005 newspaper column:

"Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians."[13]
You have to search beyond that which merely confirms what you want to believe:

Bin Laden himself has repeatedly denied that he received any American support. ?Personally neither I nor my brothers saw any evidence of American help,? bin Laden told British journalist Robert Fisk in 1993. In 1996, Mr. Fisk interviewed bin Laden again. The arch-terrorist was equally adamant: ?We were never, at any time, friends of the Americans. We knew that the Americans supported the Jews in Palestine and that they are our enemies.?

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100

Ron Paul has nothing to do with this documentary. Please don't associate him with this.

No, Ron Paul has nothing to do with this documentary, but he does talk a lot about the rise of the "Neoconservative" and their movement. He also has said that the war on terror is a sham, you can't have a war on a tactic.

I'd say it's safe to say Ron Paul believes in much of what they have discovered in this movie.