BBC Documentary Reveals Al-Qaeda Is A Complete Fabrication

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Text

This portion of the video is about an hour long, but concisely and engagingly shows how the Bush administration fabricated the power and reach of the "al-Qaeda terrorist network" (really nothing more than a rag-tag group of criminals) so they could justify an enormous military response...not only in Afghanistan (where we haven't completed the job for 7 years now) but also in Iraq (who had nothing to do with al-Qaeda, but now plays host to the US-invented "al-Qaeda in Iraq").

Doesn't it seem strange that we need a constant force of 150,000 troops, almost as many civilian contractors, and expenditures over $500 million per day to chase down some guys with AK-47s? I thought we're the greatest military power in the entire world? Why is the job still unfinished 7 years later?

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
There is Al-Qaeda in Iraq. Not saying they were there at first, but they are there now and not "invented."

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: datalink7
There is Al-Qaeda in Iraq. Not saying they were there at first, but they are there now and not "invented."
We know, we know...every few months we kill/capture a high-ranking member of their vast and powerful network...reminding us we're making just enough progress to stay, but never enough progress to leave.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
We know, we know...every few months we kill/capture a high-ranking member of their vast and powerful network...reminding us we're making just enough progress to stay, but never enough progress to leave.

I wouldn't know about high ranking members. I only patrol local neighborhoods. Big targets are more in the sphere of Special Forces as opposed to the normal Infantry, like me. But there is a local Al-Qaeda faction we deal with and their numbers aren't "1 or 2." They do have a widespread network though their power varies depending on the location.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
you are aware of BBCs blatant sympathy towards everything not conservative? they've been hammer Israel for ages...this isn't surprising.

while there is CLEAR legitimacy in challenging how al-qaeda was initially being portrayed before 911 by western governments...but to say it was merely a group of thugs is preposterous.

they've been getting financial support from sympathic nations *cough*syria*cough*iran*cough*saudi arabia*cough*europe*cough* well before bush and clinton.

perhaps it wasn't called al-qaeda back then...but it's always been in existence. if not them, something else.

this all boils down to bush creating its own enemy..and all this islamic craziness was manifested from teh evil western governments. this is beyond wrong, and crap like the included video just encourages this stupid thinking.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't have 59 min right now, but I have NEVER seen a quantification for the forces of Al Queda. I have suspected fom day one that they are far less numerous and influential than the Bush admin thinks. Al Queda is almost a synoym for terrorist. The group must marvel at the free press it gets.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

I wouldn't know about high ranking members. I only patrol local neighborhoods. Big targets are more in the sphere of Special Forces as opposed to the normal Infantry, like me. But there is a local Al-Qaeda faction we deal with and their numbers aren't "1 or 2." They do have a widespread network though their power varies depending on the location.

Don't even bother. jpeyton already knows all there is to know about Iraq and Al Qaeda.

Dec 30, 2004

Because they keep pouring in from Iran and Saudi Arabia etc.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Thank you sir.

Sep 12, 2004
Yeah, there was no al Qaeda before GW Bush came along. All the references to AQ from the Clinton admin were evidently planted in government archives by those nefarious neo-cons.

:roll:

It's ironic that the very same people who make absurd claims about fearmongering and manipulation by our government regularly employ those very same tactics themselves. But don't be afraid of some disorganized rag-tag militant Islamic group that flies planes into buildings and blows up buses (even though their ranks have allegedly swollen incredibly, according to these same fearmongers). Keep an eye out for those jackbooted thugs dropping from black helicopters instead.

Sheesh. The idiocy is just incredible.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
The whole "Al-qaeda" bogeyman kind of reminds me of the good old days in the 70's and 80's, when the USSR was hyped as this military juggernaut. Remember all the stories about how great the Red Army was? How they had tens of thousands of tanks and arty just ready to roll into Europe? Back then, we just HAD to spends billions to match them, so we wouldn't be destroyed.

Then the Berlin wall came down, the USSR collapsed, and we got to see what the Red Army really was capable of. Lots of obsolete tanks, subs, and planes. Much equipment wasn't even usable. I remember thinking what a huge difference it was between what they were hyped to be, and what they really were (intel failure? Maybe overhyped for a reason, just like Iraq today?)

Does this sound familiar to anyone with today's huge AQ bogeyman? The Military industrial complex likes these situations, it lets them make tons of money off of fear.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Yeah, there was no al Qaeda before GW Bush came along. All the references to AQ from the Clinton admin were evidently planted in government archives by those nefarious neo-cons.

It's ironic that the very same people who make absurd claims about fearmongering and manipulation by our government regularly employ those very same tactics themselves. But don't be afraid of some disorganized rag-tag militant Islamic group that flies planes into buildings and blows up buses (even though their ranks have allegedly swollen incredibly, according to these same fearmongers). Keep an eye out for those jackbooted thugs dropping from black helicopters instead.

The only idiocy is see here is your own. The documentary makes no such claim or reference.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
you are aware of BBCs blatant sympathy towards everything not conservative? they've been hammer Israel for ages...this isn't surprising.

while there is CLEAR legitimacy in challenging how al-qaeda was initially being portrayed before 911 by western governments...but to say it was merely a group of thugs is preposterous.

they've been getting financial support from sympathic nations *cough*syria*cough*iran*cough*saudi arabia*cough*europe*cough* well before bush and clinton.

perhaps it wasn't called al-qaeda back then...but it's always been in existence. if not them, something else.

this all boils down to bush creating its own enemy..and all this islamic craziness was manifested from teh evil western governments. this is beyond wrong, and crap like the included video just encourages this stupid thinking.

BBC was criticized along with the rest of the media for trumping up the WMD charges against Saddam Hussein

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Tab

The only idiocy is see here is your own. The documentary makes no such claim or reference.
Didn't watch all three parts, eh?

Curtis claims that al Qaeda was "invented" in 2001. That is patently false.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Craig234
Thanks, that's an excellent video. What a contrast to the US media reports.

Pretty sure Al Jazeria will contrast US media reports as well. Which means, as I've always said, reality and truth are defined by nothing more than perception. Perception is controlled by the media.

You believe what you want to believe. Plenty of options out there. Fact that you'd favor anti-western conspiracies is no surprise to me.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Some people just want to fight - whether they are flying the flag of AQ ... or the CSA (Confederate States of America). 'AQ' is a banner to fight under. They could fight under the 'DQ' (Dairy Queen) banner.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Tab

Didn't watch all three parts, eh?

Curtis claims that al Qaeda was "invented" in 2001. That is patently false.

Al Qaeda wasn't "invented", but the Neoconservatives *did* "invent" their vast technological intricate army. Al Qaeda and their super secret caves show us the lengths of the lies and fear mongering agenda.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Let me guess, Al Qaeda now wears "AQ" hats when attacking soldiers. It has become increasingly evident that any "rebellion" is labeled "Al Qaeda". I am not saying there is no AQ there, just the numbers are probably overblown. I would like to know how you (being a soldier from what I gather) decide who is or isn't Al Qaeda. Who actually defines them?

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I don't have 59 min right now, but I have NEVER seen a quantification for the forces of Al Queda. I have suspected fom day one that they are far less numerous and influential than the Bush admin thinks. Al Queda is almost a synoym for terrorist. The group must marvel at the free press it gets.

They are camel riders, living in caves, drinking goat milk. The only weapons they had were old AK-47's and ammo from the Soviet Unions invasion. They didn't have the vast technological army we were spoon fed to believe. Hell, Saddam's army was more threatening and you see how well armed they were now.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

Let me guess, Al Qaeda now wears "AQ" hats when attacking soldiers. It has become increasingly evident that any "rebellion" is labeled "Al Qaeda". I am not saying there is no AQ there, just the numbers are probably overblown. I would like to know how you (being a soldier from what I gather) decide who is or isn't Al Qaeda. Who actually defines them?

According to John McCain and all the previous Republican presidential candidates (minus Paul), the people who would take over Iraq if we left are AQ.