BBC Documentary Reveals Al-Qaeda Is A Complete Fabrication

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: glenn1
Doesn't it seem strange that we need a constant force of 150,000 troops, almost as many civilian contractors, and expenditures over $500 million per day to chase down some guys with AK-47s? I thought we're the greatest military power in the entire world? Why is the job still unfinished 7 years later?

You're right - we are wasting money fighting Al Qaeda. After all, they only target places like NYC where rich people and Democrats live, and who gives a shit about those folks? If anything, we need to stop spending money defending the likes of them and instead focus on the important stuff, like raising the taxes on all those rich people and universal healthcare.

Thanks glenn. My meter blew up

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

You're the tard trotting out conspiracy theories in here all the time that you can't back up. I don't give a shit if the caves aren't identical to Rumsfeld's picture. There are caves there and quite an extensive network of them:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/f...F934A35757C0A9649C8B63

Some 500 troops from the Army's 101st Airborne Division arrived here this afternoon after the five-day mission, which took them into the subterranean complex in Khost Province near the border with Pakistan. The men said they had ventured into more than 15 caves, some of them hundreds of feet deep, complete with bedrooms, warehouses and even iron-barred jail cells. After cleaning out the caves, the men used C-4 explosives and antitank missiles to seal them.

The only conspiracy theory here is Rumsfelds and here you are trying to prove it. Yet you haven't. Do we have to do this with you again? How many times have you stuck your foot in your mouth in the past month? Each time trying to persuade the topic to something different. You may be good at debating IRL, but on an internet forum its all to easy to read what you say and catch your spin tactics.

So where is all the high tech/self sufficient/holes big enough for a truck caves at? LOL There aren't any. Give it up and wake up. Stop spreading your conspiracy theory as we have already woken up from your paranoid delusional fearmongering.

EDIT: Its also an old article circa 2002.
No, stupid. You're trying to claim I'm backing up Rumsfeld when I'm not, so stop with your usual doltishness.

Stupid? Wow, way to go smarty pants. Did you have to look that word up? Yes, you were trying to prove otherwise with your snide "Uh huh" then link crap. Now that you can't prove it you delve into attacking my character, normal for necon scum.

You're the one trying to claim that the caves like Rumsfeld's picture haevn't been found so it must follow that there really aren't any caves at all, and therefore AQ is some grand invention too. As I've shown there are caves, quite a few of them.

I don't argue that there are caves, as a matter of fact if you look a couple posts up I even mention them:

They are camel riders, living in caves, drinking goat milk. The only weapons they had were old AK-47's and ammo from the Soviet Unions invasion. They didn't have the vast technological army we were spoon fed to believe. Hell, Saddam's army was more threatening and you see how well armed they were now.

I even took the liberty of bolding it for you so you won't miss it. The point is you're using your usual obfuscation tactics and are being called on it again!

btw, you should never, ever speak about sticking one's foot in their mouth. How's that Iranian oil bourse and the Euro taking over for the dollar going? Do I really need to dig up some of the crap you've trotted out in here recently?

Sure, obfuscate some more.

Crap that you make grandiose conspiracy claims about and then slink off to pretend as if you never made those claims when your little fantasies about the neo-cons and other shady organizations being out to get everyone don't come true, you wierdo?

More obfuscation. Where are these technological vast armies in caves we were told about? They DO NOT exist!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
BBC Documentary Reveals Al-Qaeda Is A Complete Fabrication

Well, I'm not going to watch an hour of video, or argue about big caves ;)

Probably for the best.

But the thread title seems to overstate the case "complete fabrication"?

Yes very overstated. I think he was looking for the shock factor.

I can see a claim that the significance of AQ may have been substantially overstated. But there are too many reports and studies of it's origins going back to decades earlier to reasonable claim the Neocons just completely made it up in 2001.

The fact that Al Qeada doesn't exist isn't what is portrayed in the video. What they do show is how AQ was used as a political tool to more or less give the government carte blanche to do whatever they want WRT foreign or domestic issues (ie. "First strike" Bush Doctrine, Patriot Act).

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Remember: "We have to fight Saudi fanatics in Iraq and Afghanistan so that the House of Saud doesn't have to fight them at home."

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
talking of caves, if they really wanted OBL dead, they would have used neutron bombs and fried their asses in the caves instead of daisy cuttters....

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: ironwing
Remember: "We have to fight Saudi fanatics in Iraq and Afghanistan so that the House of Saud doesn't have to fight them at home."

interesting....i never looked at it in that angle

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
ive always heard al qaeda meant "the database"

Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians. Inexplicably, and with disastrous consequences, it never appears to have occurred to Washington that once Russia was out of the way, Bin Laden's organisation would turn its attention to the west.

sometimes i wonder who thought that name up...some guy in a cubicle or OBL.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2...l/08/july7.development

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: event8horizon
Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA......

That claim has been debunked here a zillion times.

At most it can be specualted that some of the CIA supplied weaponry trickled on down to him, but the CIA did not directly deal with UBL.

Fern

Sep 12, 2004

You're the tard trotting out conspiracy theories in here all the time that you can't back up. I don't give a shit if the caves aren't identical to Rumsfeld's picture. There are caves there and quite an extensive network of them:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/f...F934A35757C0A9649C8B63

Some 500 troops from the Army's 101st Airborne Division arrived here this afternoon after the five-day mission, which took them into the subterranean complex in Khost Province near the border with Pakistan. The men said they had ventured into more than 15 caves, some of them hundreds of feet deep, complete with bedrooms, warehouses and even iron-barred jail cells. After cleaning out the caves, the men used C-4 explosives and antitank missiles to seal them.

The only conspiracy theory here is Rumsfelds and here you are trying to prove it. Yet you haven't. Do we have to do this with you again? How many times have you stuck your foot in your mouth in the past month? Each time trying to persuade the topic to something different. You may be good at debating IRL, but on an internet forum its all to easy to read what you say and catch your spin tactics.

So where is all the high tech/self sufficient/holes big enough for a truck caves at? LOL There aren't any. Give it up and wake up. Stop spreading your conspiracy theory as we have already woken up from your paranoid delusional fearmongering.

EDIT: Its also an old article circa 2002.
No, stupid. You're trying to claim I'm backing up Rumsfeld when I'm not, so stop with your usual doltishness.

Stupid? Wow, way to go smarty pants. Did you have to look that word up? Yes, you were trying to prove otherwise with your snide "Uh huh" then link crap. Now that you can't prove it you delve into attacking my character, normal for necon scum.

You're the one trying to claim that the caves like Rumsfeld's picture haevn't been found so it must follow that there really aren't any caves at all, and therefore AQ is some grand invention too. As I've shown there are caves, quite a few of them.

I don't argue that there are caves, as a matter of fact if you look a couple posts up I even mention them:

They are camel riders, living in caves, drinking goat milk. The only weapons they had were old AK-47's and ammo from the Soviet Unions invasion. They didn't have the vast technological army we were spoon fed to believe. Hell, Saddam's army was more threatening and you see how well armed they were now.

I even took the liberty of bolding it for you so you won't miss it. The point is you're using your usual obfuscation tactics and are being called on it again!

btw, you should never, ever speak about sticking one's foot in their mouth. How's that Iranian oil bourse and the Euro taking over for the dollar going? Do I really need to dig up some of the crap you've trotted out in here recently?

Sure, obfuscate some more.

Crap that you make grandiose conspiracy claims about and then slink off to pretend as if you never made those claims when your little fantasies about the neo-cons and other shady organizations being out to get everyone don't come true, you wierdo?

More obfuscation. Where are these technological vast armies in caves we were told about? They DO NOT exist!
Nobody was arguing technological armies except for YOU, moron.

Can you say straw man? Because you're sure eager to erect one so you can knock it down. But that's just the kind of fallacy you regularly engage in in here. It's the only argument you've got.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern
Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA......

That claim has been debunked here a zillion times.

At most it can be specualted that some of the CIA supplied weaponry trickled on down to him, but the CIA did not directly deal with UBL.

Fern

i would like to see some links to those agencies that have debunked that claim. i dont care if they supplied him whatever weapons that were needed to bring down the sovietss. that was a different time.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
^ I don't have any myself. Just seen them posted here when such a claim is made, like that by the BBC.

Hopefully somebody will come along post 'em again.

I wouldn't think of attempting to use the fusetalk search feature. It would be hopeless.

Fern

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Moron? LOL

Yet you tried to prove otherwise. I made a statement in which you replied "Uh huh" with a link after it. You tried to prove me wrong and couldn't. Wonder if you are going to try to obfuscate again....

Can you say straw man? Because you're sure eager to erect one so you can knock it down. But that's just the kind of fallacy you regularly engage in in here. It's the only argument you've got.

Spoke too soon

:laugh:

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
TLC-

i was wondering if u would like to see this man interogated: isi director-general lt-gen mahmud ahmad. palehorse said he would NOT want (from what i gather) to see he interogated.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes...cleshow/1454238160.cms

new delhi: while the pakistani inter services public relations claimed that former isi director-general lt-gen mahmud ahmad sought retirement after being superseded on monday, the truth is more shocking. top sources confirmed here on tuesday, that the general lost his job because of the "evidence" india produced to show his links to one of the suicide bombers that wrecked the world trade centre. the us authorities sought his removal after confirming the fact that $100,000 were wired to wtc hijacker mohammed atta from pakistan by ahmad umar sheikh at the instance of gen mahumd. senior government sources have confirmed that india contributed significantly to establishing the link between the money transfer and the role played by the dismissed isi chief. while they did not provide details, they said that indian inputs, including sheikh?s mobile phone number, helped the fbi in tracing and establishing the link. a direct link between the isi and the wtc attack could have enormous repercussions. the us cannot but suspect whether or not there were other senior pakistani army commanders who were in the know of things. evidence of a larger conspiracy could shake us confidence in pakistan?s ability to participate in the anti-terrorism coalition. indian officials say they are vitally interested in the unravelling of the case since it could link the isi directly to the hijacking of the indian airlines kathmandu-delhi flight to kandahar last december. ahmad umar sayeed sheikh is a british national and a london school of economics graduate who was arrested by the police in delhi following a bungled 1994 kidnapping of four westerners, including an american citizen.

ive seen articles stating that some of those in guantanamo bay have been sent back to their country of orgin and have been released apon arival. this guy hasnt even been captured yet!!!!!!

Sep 12, 2004

Moron? LOL

Yet you tried to prove otherwise. I made a statement in which you replied "Uh huh" with a link after it. You tried to prove me wrong and couldn't. Wonder if you are going to try to obfuscate again....

Spoke too soon

Wait. Now I understand. You can't see anything further than your own tiny little argument.

Well try taking your argument the point where you posted your ridiculous link in the first place. In fact, let me help you out.:

Didn't watch all three parts, eh?

Curtis claims that al Qaeda was "invented" in 2001. That is patently false.

Al Qaeda wasn't "invented", but the Neoconservatives *did* "invent" their vast technological intricate army. Al Qaeda and their super secret caves show us the lengths of the lies and fear mongering agenda.
Uh huh.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/f...=&spon=&pagewanted=all[/quote]

So you come along with your stupid link above, as if it supposedly proves that AQ was invented.

I post a link that shows that AQ was using caves in Afghanistan. AQ not only used caves, but fortified caves. iow, you didn't provide one iota of proof that AQ is a complete fabrication or invented. All you do is attempt to change the subject and then wrongly imagine that people are arguing about your diversionary idiocy.

Now do I need to explain that again or do you get it yet?

Sep 12, 2004
TLC-

i was wondering if u would like to see this man interogated: isi director-general lt-gen mahmud ahmad. palehorse said he would NOT want (from what i gather) to see he interogated.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes...cleshow/1454238160.cms

new delhi: while the pakistani inter services public relations claimed that former isi director-general lt-gen mahmud ahmad sought retirement after being superseded on monday, the truth is more shocking. top sources confirmed here on tuesday, that the general lost his job because of the "evidence" india produced to show his links to one of the suicide bombers that wrecked the world trade centre. the us authorities sought his removal after confirming the fact that $100,000 were wired to wtc hijacker mohammed atta from pakistan by ahmad umar sheikh at the instance of gen mahumd. senior government sources have confirmed that india contributed significantly to establishing the link between the money transfer and the role played by the dismissed isi chief. while they did not provide details, they said that indian inputs, including sheikh?s mobile phone number, helped the fbi in tracing and establishing the link. a direct link between the isi and the wtc attack could have enormous repercussions. the us cannot but suspect whether or not there were other senior pakistani army commanders who were in the know of things. evidence of a larger conspiracy could shake us confidence in pakistan?s ability to participate in the anti-terrorism coalition. indian officials say they are vitally interested in the unravelling of the case since it could link the isi directly to the hijacking of the indian airlines kathmandu-delhi flight to kandahar last december. ahmad umar sayeed sheikh is a british national and a london school of economics graduate who was arrested by the police in delhi following a bungled 1994 kidnapping of four westerners, including an american citizen.

ive seen articles stating that some of those in guantanamo bay have been sent back to their country of orgin and have been released apon arival. this guy hasnt even been captured yet!!!!!!
What does that have to do with this thread?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Personally, I think AQ has been completely blown out of proportion and it was intentional. Sure, they struck once in a frighteningly elegant and simple fashion, but it was low tech and not all that difficult at the time.

After seen the massive gaps in our protections, I can see that what has been done is mostly veneer but hundreds of billions have been wasted looking for binary liquid bombs and pocket knives to little effect.

As a NY'er and somebody who has been two very intense post-9/11 occasions (top of the ESB during the 03 blackout and right underneath the 07 steampipe explosion) I can say that I am not worried about terrorism and I firmly believe that 9/11 has been used as a boogeyman to make us afraid. It's been used as a tool to grab freedoms and waste money.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
a link to al qaeda.......wht do u mean???? would u like to see him interogated? thats all i would like to know.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Personally, I think AQ has been completely blown out of proportion and it was intentional. Sure, they struck once in a frighteningly elegant and simple fashion, but it was low tech and not all that difficult at the time.

After seen the massive gaps in our protections, I can see that what has been done is mostly veneer but hundreds of billions have been wasted looking for binary liquid bombs and pocket knives to little effect.

As a NY'er and somebody who has been two very intense post-9/11 occasions (top of the ESB during the 03 blackout and right underneath the 07 steampipe explosion) I can say that I am not worried about terrorism and I firmly believe that 9/11 has been used as a boogeyman to make us afraid. It's been used as a tool to grab freedoms and waste money.

wow, something we can agree on. what is the " post-9/11 occasions (top of the ESB during the 03 blackout and right underneath the 07 steampipe explosion" that u talk about???

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I think the government uses al qaeda as a substitute for terrorists the same way people call anyone associated with a computer crime a hacker, regardless of the specifics. I'm not really sure it changes anything in the grand scheme, though.

Sep 12, 2004
a link to al qaeda.......wht do u mean???? would u like to see him interogated? thats all i would like to know.
This thread is about AQ being a "complete fabrication," not a general discussion about AQ.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

wow, something we can agree on. what is the " post-9/11 occasions (top of the ESB during the 03 blackout and right underneath the 07 steampipe explosion" that u talk about???

Back in 03 I was up in NYC for an interview with an i-bank. After the interview I went to the empire state building, I had never been to NYC before. I was in the 2nd tier elevators, between the 84th and 85th floor when the power went out on August 14, 2003. I was in there for almost an hour with about 10 other people. After that we got to go to the observation deck and watch tens of thousands of people flood the streets.

I was supposed to be there just for the day, flew in on my own dime when I was a poor grad student. I had $300 with me, a brand new suit and shoes. I ended up calling a friend who put me up in a hotel, went to a bar, drank a few beers, came back and ended up splitting the hotel room (2 beds) with a guy I met. He turned out to be a coworker of the guy I just interviewed with.

Long story short, I blew through 3k, which I didn't think I would get back, but the bank paid it. I didn't get the job though.

Needless to say, for that 1hr, we thought the world has basically ended and AQ had hit the country with a nuke, or any other idea. Eventually we realized it was just a simple thing.

The steampipe explosion was in Aug 07. There was an old steampipe that ruptured right underneath my window. Initially we thought the building next to us was bombed, or grand central or the subways were hit, so we booked it out of the building, taking the elevator. We got down to street level and saw mud covered people everywhere. Moved away and finally got a view of a 300+ foot steam geyser in downtown manhattan.

Our building was closed for a week. Again, something that was very intense for 30min when we thought we were ground zero for a new attack.

In the end, I do not jump every time I hear a bang. I do not worry about terrorism all of the time and I love working and living in the city. I think the government has created a bunch of chickenshit ninnies because they wanted to grab more power and it's pretty sad that our ancestors fought for liberty and were brave enough to do it with guns, blood, and lives. Yet we piss our pants at the first event that happens and willingly give away freedom for little to no security.

Our increased "security" is a fucking joke. I have accidentally had a knife in my carry on bag twice was never caught. We flew from JFK to Maui in December 07 with an expired passport (me) and a drivers license with a name that didn't match the ticket name (wife's maiden name on the license). We went through 4 checkpoints. Not one TSA dipshit noticed either problem, nor did the airline people.

The *one* person who did notice my passport was expired was the Budget Rent a car person.

Our "security" is a farce and I am disgusted every time I am treated like a terrorist when I fly. Fascist pigs and underpaid/undertrained/undereducated assholes on an ego-trip run the system and waste our money on veneer security.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
This thread is about AQ being a "complete fabrication," not a general discussion about AQ.

"complete fabrication" ....well if the leader of the isi and a british national (mi6, rogue mi6 or double agent) had a hand in putting money in atta's hands (the alleged voice, or believed voice of flight 11) dosent that say something???

i ask u again, would u like to see him interogated???

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Back in 03 I was up in NYC for an interview with an i-bank. After the interview I went to the empire state building, I had never been to NYC before. I was in the 2nd tier elevators, between the 84th and 85th floor when the power went out on August 14, 2003. I was in there for almost an hour with about 10 other people. After that we got to go to the observation deck and watch tens of thousands of people flood the streets.

I was supposed to be there just for the day, flew in on my own dime when I was a poor grad student. I had $300 with me, a brand new suit and shoes. I ended up calling a friend who put me up in a hotel, went to a bar, drank a few beers, came back and ended up splitting the hotel room (2 beds) with a guy I met. He turned out to be a coworker of the guy I just interviewed with.

Long story short, I blew through 3k, which I didn't think I would get back, but the bank paid it. I didn't get the job though.

Needless to say, for that 1hr, we thought the world has basically ended and AQ had hit the country with a nuke, or any other idea. Eventually we realized it was just a simple thing.

The steampipe explosion was in Aug 07. There was an old steampipe that ruptured right underneath my window. Initially we thought the building next to us was bombed, or grand central or the subways were hit, so we booked it out of the building, taking the elevator. We got down to street level and saw mud covered people everywhere. Moved away and finally got a view of a 300+ foot steam geyser in downtown manhattan.

Our building was closed for a week. Again, something that was very intense for 30min when we thought we were ground zero for a new attack.

In the end, I do not jump every time I hear a bang. I do not worry about terrorism all of the time and I love working and living in the city. I think the government has created a bunch of chickenshit ninnies because they wanted to grab more power and it's pretty sad that our ancestors fought for liberty and were brave enough to do it with guns, blood, and lives. Yet we piss our pants at the first event that happens and willingly give away freedom for little to no security.

Our increased "security" is a fucking joke. I have accidentally had a knife in my carry on bag twice was never caught. We flew from JFK to Maui in December 07 with an expired passport (me) and a drivers license with a name that didn't match the ticket name (wife's maiden name on the license). We went through 4 checkpoints. Not one TSA dipshit noticed either problem, nor did the airline people.

The *one* person who did notice my passport was expired was the Budget Rent a car person.

Our "security" is a farce and I am disgusted every time I am treated like a terrorist when I fly. Fascist pigs and underpaid/undertrained/undereducated assholes on an ego-trip run the system and waste our money on veneer security.

thanks for the subjective viewpoint. america is an interesting place.....

Sep 12, 2004

"complete fabrication" ....well if the leader of the isi and a british national (mi6, rogue mi6 or double agent) had a hand in putting money in atta's hands (the alleged voice, or believed voice of flight 11) dosent that say something???
Yeah. That says he's an asshole.

i ask u again, would u like to see him interogated???
I really don't care. I'd rather see him tried in a court of law and, if found guilty, hung by the neck for his involvement.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Moron? LOL

Spoke too soon

Wait. Now I understand. You can't see anything further than your own tiny little argument.

Well try taking your argument the point where you posted your ridiculous link in the first place. In fact, let me help you out.:

Didn't watch all three parts, eh?

Curtis claims that al Qaeda was "invented" in 2001. That is patently false.

Al Qaeda wasn't "invented", but the Neoconservatives *did* "invent" their vast technological intricate army. Al Qaeda and their super secret caves show us the lengths of the lies and fear mongering agenda.
Uh huh.

So you come along with your stupid link above, as if it supposedly proves that AQ was invented.

I post a link that shows that AQ was using caves in Afghanistan. AQ not only used caves, but fortified caves. iow, you didn't provide one iota of proof that AQ is a complete fabrication or invented. All you do is attempt to change the subject and then wrongly imagine that people are arguing about your diversionary idiocy.

Now do I need to explain that again or do you get it yet?

You have proven you are inherently stupid. I never made a claim that AQ was invented. You did. Again obfuscation on your part. Do you ever stop for a moment and READ what people post? Or do you just blather on with BS hoping no one will catch it? You need help, professional help. I think you have ADD and need medication because this is not the first time you have done this, and after being enlightened you continue. Sad really.