BBC: Bush proposal to send man to mars

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi,

If this comes to be - we are going to live in very exciting (and expensive) times indeed!

President George W Bush will announce proposals next week to send Americans to Mars, and back to the Moon.

Senior US officials say he will also reveal plans for the construction of a permanent lunar space station.

If it goes ahead I'll be glued to my TV and the internet watching this stuff for years.

Cheers,

Andy

buckmasterson

Oct 12, 2002
A mars trip sounds like a great idea! Send George W Bush, maybe the WMD are there!!! Pete Rose too, he can run the boosters...

Jan 12, 2003
You won't be "glued to my TV and the internet watching this stuff for years." Instead, you'll be working harder to help pay for this waste of tax dollars.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually special intelligence consultants to the White House insist that Saddam might have stashed his WMD on the Moon or Mars. Accordingly, they plan to institute a $1000/person/year "special revenue enhancement" to fund the Solar System War on Terror.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
That this will actually be attempted seems hard to believe. Landing a man on the moon was such an extraordinary effort that it was never follow up on. Mars is, much, much harder -- and correspondingly much, much more expensive. PBS this morning reported that Bush I was criticized after Gulf War I for not having any plans other than those about Iraq. They opined that Bush II wasn't going to make that mistake with GW II.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
You won't be "glued to my TV and the internet watching this stuff for years." Instead, you'll be working harder to help pay for this waste of tax dollars.

Exactly! The man is trying to cater to everyone with dreamy goals like Citizenship for illegals, warring for peace, the illusion that we have clean air (by censoring facts supporting the contrary), and driving the government into debt so that lil billy can (or cannot) buy a honda civic with his tax returns. Now he wants everyone glossy eyed with man on the moon/mars. Isn't it obvious that hes toying with the emotions of the american people? Isn't it obvious that even if he does pull like this off, we're no less screwed than we are now here on Earth?

leeboy

Banned
Dec 8, 2003
Whenever I hear increased talk about going back to the moon and now going to Mars I worry that astronomers have calculated that a comet or near earth object of some other sort is on a direct path to earth in (xx years). You keep watching the tube, I will be in the backyard building my rocket ;)

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

No. I'm in the UK so I'll be watching and not paying ;)

Cheers,

Andy