Bay Area to College Station, TX

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
I was thinking of visiting my cousin who lives in LA on the way. Is Route 66 a good way to go? I need to get there in 4 days. Recommendations? I can stay at a Starwood hotel for a night.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
There are several historical forts near I-10 in the middle of nowhere out in west Texas. Stop in in Ozona and see the Davey Crockett statue.
Stop and take pictures at the Texas Canyon, Arizona rest stop.
If you have a lot of extra time there is Carlsbad Caverns, though that is a bit out of the way.
Just as a reference Houston to Sacramento takes about 2 days worth of driving straight with no other stops than fuel, food and sleep.

Taking Rt 66 would require going up through north west Texas and New Mexico, it is going to be a lot slower than the interstates.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Kill yourself before you get to College Station. You'll thank me later.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
There are several historical forts near I-10 in the middle of nowhere out in west Texas. Stop in in Ozona and see the Davey Crockett statue.
Stop and take pictures at the Texas Canyon, Arizona rest stop.
If you have a lot of extra time there is Carlsbad Caverns, though that is a bit out of the way.
Just as a reference Houston to Sacramento takes about 2 days worth of driving straight with no other stops than fuel, food and sleep.

Taking Rt 66 would require going up through north west Texas and New Mexico, it is going to be a lot slower than the interstates.

I checked on mapquest and it's actually only 2 hours more driving on I-40. I'd be going down from Amarillo. How much slower are we talking about?

I would make a stop in LA regardless... so my options are either stopping in Phoenix or Albuquerque for a night.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor

QFT.

If you don't, be prepared for culture shock.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: MrPickins

QFT.

I didn't experience any culture shock coming to College Station, and I'm from the suburbs. There are quite a few "hicks" here, but College Station has a ton of different (white :)) people.

Alpha are you coming to Texas A&M? What are you studying?

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: txrandom
Originally posted by: MrPickins

QFT.

I didn't experience any culture shock coming to College Station, and I'm from the suburbs. There are quite a few "hicks" here, but College Station has a ton of different (white :)) people.

Yeah! MS in civil engineering materials.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002

the 98% of the population who are conservative white males are very diverse!

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20

"diversity" can be overrated.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
I was watching Cars with my ex and route 66 looked pretty cool, so I said I'd take some pictures and send it to her. Hence I might take Route 66.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004

QFMFT! :D

Do not do this drive. You will want to shoot yourself in the head as soon as you pass El Paso. I assume you are moving there for school? If you can live in Austin you should. Its a deserted island in the middle of a sea of shit, but its still an island.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Parts of route 66 can be extremely slow especially near Kingman , Arizona. Stay on the interstates...

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004

I was actually surprised by the number of minorities. There are a ton of Asians especially in graduate engineering. There are also a lot of Hispanics. Texas A&M was rated one of the most Hispanic "friendly" schools or something like that in a Hispanic magazine.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

And if you're not one of those, be prepared to be called a "Two percenter!"

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
Originally posted by: alphatarget1

"diversity" can be overrated.

Well I just got out of there with a Computer Engineering degree, and you will get to know Zachary pretty well. The diversity problem is more prevalent on the other parts of campus more, but you will actually learn that most people actually not that conservative. Also the engineering department doesn't have the diversity problem. So are you gonna live in the dorms the first year or off campus, luckily it is really actually a small enough town and the buses are good enough that you can make it to and from school without having to drive. I can't think of anything else but if you have any questions give me a shout hopefully I can help.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Stay on the interstates. Seriously, that is a long way to drive. 75 MPH gets you there in a reasonable amount of time. If you must go through LA you are stuck with I-10. If no LA, you have the option of I-40. A quick Google Maps check shows the I-40 route is only 20 miles farther than I-10, but you must go through more non-interstate driving in Texas.

If you're really interested in Route 66 there is a bit of stuff in Williams, AZ and Flagstaff, AZ off I-40. Nothing really special though. The I-40 route would let you spend a day at the Grand Canyon in the middle of your trip, which might be a nice break. You could also check out Sunset Crater National Monument. Also off I-40 are Petrified Forest and Painted Desert National Parks. IMHO spend time at the Grand Canyon over these. But if you have an extra hour or two they are worth the drive. Just get off at Holbook and then get back on I-40 by the park exit.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337

QFMFT! :D

Do not do this drive. You will want to shoot yourself in the head as soon as you pass El Paso. I assume you are moving there for school? If you can live in Austin you should. Its a deserted island in the middle of a sea of shit, but its still an island.

I sure am glad that we keep all the people like you in Austin. I wouldn't want any to leak up here to Dallas.