Battlestar Galatica (reboot) question <Spoilers>

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Never saw a BSG episode till this week when i turned on my rabbit ear TV for the 1st time this year.
saw the episode where they find radioactive Earth, aka the 13th colony.

then I went down the wiki rabbit hole.

from what i understand, the people who inhabited that Earth were from the planet Kobol 4000 years ago.
2000 years ago, their robot Cylons rebelled and nuked everything, causing mutual extinction.

People from the 12 Colonies also came from Kobol.
They abandoned the planet for some reason and settled on 12 planets in another star system.
4000 years later, they created robot Cylons and their Cylons started rebelling.

Why were the people from the 12 Colonies 2000 years behind in tech than the 13th Colony?

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Never saw a BSG episode till this week when i turned on my rabbit ear TV for the 1st time this year.

from what i understand, the people who inhabited that Earth were from Kobol 4000 years ago.
2000 years ago, the robot Cylons rebelled against the humanoid Cylons and nuked everything, causing mutual extinction.

People from the 12 Colonies also came from Kobol. Kobol was comprised of 12 nations.
They abandoned the planet for some reason and each of 12 nations settled on their own planet of another star system.

Why were the people from the 12 Colonies 2000 years behind in tech than the 13th Colony?
Did you actually finish it? I think that wiki is assuming you've finished the series.

If you haven't, finish it first. It'll make more sense.

If you have:
The Cylon/human relationship is parasitic and cyclical. Humanity feeds off the technological advancement that Cylons enable, and Cylons get to learn how to be 'human' by interacting with humanity, until such time as they discover the true nature of each other (Cylons discovering the 'current' true nature, given that they don't die) and they try to destroy each other. The 12 colonies were fleeing Kobol from the last time it happened, but the stories weren't passed down/recorded in a way in which people could discover what really happened (or maybe manipulated by the Cylons through their 2000yr history). As such, everyone just 'believed' that there was a 13th colony when in actuality they were just the only survivors. 'Earth' as we see in the series is just another planet, as was Kobol, and unknown where the original 'Earth' was, or if it even exists. The cycle has happened many times, and it will happen at least once more as revealed by the end of the series.

A much more incoherent question is where Valkyrie Starbuck came from. While super badass, it made no sense lol.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Did you actually finish it? I think that wiki is assuming you've finished the series.

If you haven't, finish it first. It'll make more sense.

If you have:
The Cylon/human relationship is parasitic and cyclical. Humanity feeds off the technological advancement that Cylons enable, and Cylons get to learn how to be 'human' by interacting with humanity, until such time as they discover the true nature of each other (Cylons discovering the 'current' true nature, given that they don't die) and they try to destroy each other. The 12 colonies were fleeing Kobol from the last time it happened, but the stories weren't passed down/recorded in a way in which people could discover what really happened (or maybe manipulated by the Cylons through their 2000yr history). As such, everyone just 'believed' that there was a 13th colony when in actuality they were just the only survivors. 'Earth' as we see in the series is just another planet, as was Kobol, and unknown where the original 'Earth' was, or if it even exists. The cycle has happened many times, and it will happen at least once more as revealed by the end of the series.

A much more incoherent question is where Valkyrie Starbuck came from. While super badass, it made no sense lol.
like i said in my OP, that episode where they found radioactive Earth was the only one i saw.
i saw it on free rabbit ear TV (ie: commercials) and they air an episode every week (i think). i havent gone back to watch more.
I just read the wiki on the show.

so the last episode is where it was said the human/cylon war will happen at least one ore time?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
like i said in my OP, that episode where they found radioactive Earth was the only one i saw.
i saw it on free rabbit ear TV (ie: commercials) and they air an episode every week (i think). i havent gone back to watch more.
I just read the wiki on the show.

so the last episode is where it was said the human/cylon war will happen at least one ore time?
Oh, yeah, none of the show will make sense taken as an individual episode (and arguably it won't make sense even if you watch it all :p) It's very much episodic in nature. Regarding the spoiler, it's never explicitly stated, just implied.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So i read the wiki on the series finale.
all the big ships were flown into the sun.
what about the vipers and raptors that offloaded everyone onto Earth?

ie: Adm Adama's viper

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
The whole series including a couple of miniseries was on Amazon a while back. I bought the BD box set, watched them and later watched it again on Amazon Prime.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Why would you skip right to the end? You are missing out on a great show, that albeit wavered a little in the end, but eventually managed to finish respectably(unlike GOT).

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

from what i understand, the people who inhabited that Earth were from the planet Kobol 4000 years ago.
2000 years ago, their robot Cylons rebelled and nuked everything, causing mutual extinction.

People from the 12 Colonies also came from Kobol.
They abandoned the planet for some reason and settled on 12 planets in another star system.

The original BS-G was better known as "Mormons in Space."