Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC DRM Detailed

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
The SecuROM DRM solution used in DICE's shooter Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has been explained by lead programmer Mikael Kalms over on the Battlefield Blog.

"The version which we use is a wrapper around the main game executable," says Kalms, "ONLY running when the game is running" and uninstalled when the game is.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will feature two authentication options--one online and one offline. Players can avoid online activation altogether with the disc check method, which requires the DVD be in their drive when they play but can be done entirely offline.

As disc checks are a nuisance, players can alternatively opt to let SecuROM go online. After authenticating once, the installation will be authenticated and can run offline for a grand next ten thousand days before needing to activate again--over twenty-seven years.

The online method has a ten-installation limit. Copies will automatically de-authenticate upon uninstalling or players can de-authorise PCs manually, though the process requires the PC in question be online. Should players exhaust their ten installations, Kelms says to "contact EA's technical support to get an extra authentication added to your 'pool.'

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62114

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Ok, so this is something i'm fully willing to support. I'm completely fine with a disc check and it's also nice to have the option to authenticate online to get rid of it if you want.

The downside is this will do nothing to stop piracy, however I find it very consumer friendly that they are willing to give us a choice in the matter. Having disc check DRM means we will still be able to play the game 10 years down the road if the auth servers even happen to go away. I still don't get the install limit thing as it's been proven to add no benefit to either the consumer or the publisher, but at least they are giving us some options here. I must say i'm fairly impressed with EA's decision here.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I like that SecuROM is only present when the game is running, and is automatically uninstalled when you remove the game. Oh my goodness, the SecuROM malware with BioShock 1 was a nightmare to remove.

The disc check is fine, and the online activation is...goofy. Any amount of install limits is still fail though.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Ok, so this is something i'm fully willing to support. I'm completely fine with a disc check and it's also nice to have the option to authenticate online to get rid of it if you want.

Yea this is a lot better cus since it has a single player aspect, people wanting to play it on their laptops on the go can do it. While I hate DRM just as much as the next guy, this is a lot better than needing online activation even to play single player.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
unless we find out a gotcha story later, this is a hell of a lot better than the bulllshit useless yet harmful crap the other guys are trying to do.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I just got my BETA key --- Yay, its got time tommorow! Can't wait

Yay! So did I. Now....if only I didnt have to work

As for the DRM I think this is a pretty good method. Not as good as I would like but it seems like a very good effort on their part to not make it a hassle*.

*Assuming this is all there is too it

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
just to keep things in perspective (fu ubi), I had a 25% off coupon from EA in my email so I decided to get the limited ed pc package for this. guess there is some beta that starts tomorrow that I'll get into and shipping was free, so $38 at release ain't a bad deal.