Battlefield 2042 - official thread

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Anyone else looking forward to this? the BF series has traditionally put out some of the most epic multiplayer shooters in history, and this one is bringing us back to the modern era, plus maybe a decade or two. The word is Battlefield 3 is a big influence on BF6, and BF3 was frigging epic.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hopefully it is very good. I am looking forward to learning more about it.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Been playing hunt mostly these days but it will be good to get back into the new BF. Hell I still like BFV for as much shit as that gets.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
BFV was fine. The gameplay itself was good too much other crap around it. Though now for BF6, I not going to buy on release like the rest. Going to see where it goes first and make sure all the growing pains are sorted out.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Many of us do, yeah.
you should stop it, then. stop rewarding greedy behavior. support developers and companies that actually care about making good products.
i wouldn't mind even 100$+ "macro-transactions", if the games were free. they charge you triple-A price or more, and then go on to sell you "quality of life" features that come to solve problems they themselves create!

don't reward greedy practices. don't pre-order buggy games. day-0 patches are not acceptable.

make gaming great again.

Feb 4, 2009
you should stop it, then. stop rewarding greedy behavior. support developers and companies that actually care about making good products.
i wouldn't mind even 100$+ "macro-transactions", if the games were free. they charge you triple-A price or more, and then go on to sell you "quality of life" features that come to solve problems they themselves create!

don't reward greedy practices. don't pre-order buggy games. day-0 patches are not acceptable.

make gaming great again.

Just asking what “quality of life” updates have been sold for Battlefield?
I haven’t followed them much since BF3

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Just asking what “quality of life” updates have been sold for Battlefield?
I haven’t followed them much since BF3

XP boosts, elites, etc. My understanding is these mostly just unlock new skins. XP unlocks new weapons in BF1, not sure about 5, never got it.

Their real cash cows are the sports games. They sell ultimate team packs which are random players with varying power levels or something. I have heard stories of people spending multi $1000 on this. It is basically mobile game P2W. Completely crazy to me. I can see maybe spending a few bucks for a cool skin or buying a battlepass in Fortnite or Apex since they are F2P, I don't see why you would spend any money in a $60 game except maybe a DLC which adds several hours of new gameplay.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

make gaming great again.
If you can find me a big epic multi player shooter as good as the BF series let me know. They haven't all been great, but most have. COD doesn't do it for me. I've tried some of the indie stuff a couple times.but BF is my jam and has been since Battlefield 2 - with BF3, 2142, and the Bad Company games being my all time favorites, and BF1 was a blast too. Only the original Halo was as much fun to me as those games.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016

make gaming great again.

Why should we stop? If I want a game like BF then I'll buy it. Just because they offer micro transactions, doesn't mean you have to buy them. I have not purchased any EA micro transactions to date.

Reactions: Shmee
Feb 4, 2009
Now called Battlefield 2042. Coming in October
Info in the link:

Up to 128 players (on 7 maps?). This part seems a little vague are there 7 maps or seven maps that support 128 players?

Video link:

I am still on the fence, preview video appears to be fast over the top action. I don’t like super fast paced shooters but I do like big maps and mixed arms as in tanks, helicopters, cars/atv’s or whatever.
I do like chaotic fights.
I don’t like running around tossing grenades because ammo is so plentiful.
I don’t like tea bagging knife fights
BF2 had the right mix for my expectations.
Same with the old version of heroes & generals.

Last edited:
Reactions: slightlyhuman

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Is it just me or do the graphics look suspect in that trailer?

Either way I'm not buying until it's $5. I paid $120 for BF4 and its dlc and then they went and nerfed everything to make a handful of hardcore players happy. All it did was give hardcore players an even larger advantage and it sucked the fun from the game for casual players like myself.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I am still on the fence, preview video appears to be fast over the top action. I don’t like super fast paced shooters <snip>
Yeah, me neither. I'm just too slow these days to keep up with kids :sad panda:
Last year I could do so was around 2015, and just barely at that. Had to play real smart to keep up.

Feb 4, 2009
Is it just me or do the graphics look suspect in that trailer?

Either way I'm not buying until it's $5. I paid $120 for BF4 and its dlc and then they went and nerfed everything to make a handful of hardcore players happy. All it did was give hardcore players an even larger advantage and it sucked the fun from the game for casual players like myself.

it is claimed to be all game engine footage, however that is not the same as game play footage.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Gameplay footage will be out next week. I do like the setting - modern combat with some futuristic elements. I truly want a sequel to BF 2142 as that was an excellent game, but maybe in my next life.

It's a pretty trailer with some over the top ridiculous hollywood type action film sequences. Typical of trailers these days where everybody is trying to outdo the other. Wasn't a fan of the music.

The big BF games usually have maps and game modes that cater to both folks that want to find intense fast gameplay, and those who like big maps that cater to snipers and recon and all kinds of paced gameplay. Let's pray they don't try to be more like COD this time. I like BF because it has that BF style to it. I don't want COD.

They just gotta get the TTK right.

PC, the PS5 and the new XBOX will have 128 player matches. PS4 and the XBOX OneX will only have the usual 64 player matches.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
btw that sequence where the pilot ejects from the plane and then shoots the other with a rocket launcher is a tribute to an actual in-game moment from an earlier BF

Reactions: Shmee
Feb 4, 2009
btw that sequence where the pilot ejects from the plane and then shoots the other with a rocket launcher is a tribute to an actual in-game moment from an earlier BF

God if there is crap like that in the game no way I am buying. That’s just not fun, well maybe it is fun for one dude.
Imagine how irritating it would be for a dude to jump out of his jet, one shot kill you with a sniper rifle then get back in the jet. Sorry that is just not fun tying up a perfectly useful jet for a dude who wants to fly or have a reasonable dog fight in the jet.
I rank this with tea bagging, funny for one dude sucky for another dude.
Even the dude during the intro is hyper irritating.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
God if there is crap like that in the game no way I am buying. That’s just not fun, well maybe it is fun for one dude.
Imagine how irritating it would be for a dude to jump out of his jet, one shot kill you with a sniper rifle then get back in the jet. Sorry that is just not fun tying up a perfectly useful jet for a dude who wants to fly or have a reasonable dog fight in the jet.
I rank this with tea bagging, funny for one dude sucky for another dude.
Even the dude during the intro is hyper irritating.
Yeah don't judge the game by these extremely rare moments. No, BF is not a hyper real shooter where it takes one or maybe max two bullets to kill you. But it's not cartoonish either.

I've put in more hours in BF games than anything else and people love BF because you can have some crazy moments in it that are just fun and wacky, but at it's core it's a solid multiplayer shooter. The crazy stuff pretty much only happens with vehicles, and rarely.

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah don't judge the game by these extremely rare moments. No, BF is not a hyper real shooter where it takes one or maybe max two bullets to kill you. But it's not cartoonish either.

I've put in more hours in BF games than anything else and people love BF because you can have some crazy moments in it that are just fun and wacky, but at it's core it's a solid multiplayer shooter. The crazy stuff pretty much only happens with vehicles, and rarely.

Yeah as long as the shenanigans are similar to BF1942 or BF2 I’m all for it.
I read something interesting regarding the no single player or story.
Apparently many gamers say the want a story in a shooter but the data collected from games says the opposite. Many shooter buyers never even start single player and fewer play it more than 10(?) minutes. We all go to multiplayer and stay there.
BF5 missed its sales target which is insane since it sold 7 million plus but they had to aggressively discount it which I assume hit their revenue goal.
Avoiding the whole social issues regarding that game one thing cited was releasing a month late during the holidays and competing against other games. Delay was caused by wanting to polish the single player more and it turns out few people played the single player missions.
Seems like the idea is drop single player and focus on creating a good multiplayer game that is released on time.