Battlefield 4 Demo Ran on AMD Radeon HD 7990 'Malta' Video Card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
I remember when a dual GPU card was £350 4870 X2!! Why are these cards now double the price and more!

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I remember when a dual GPU card was £350 4870 X2!! Why are these cards now double the price and more!

20% inflation a year for the last 5 years might be part of the problem...look at any industry that isn't heavily subsidized by cash reserves or government or outsourced, prices are at least 50% more than a couple years ago.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
20% inflation a year for the last 5 years might be part of the problem...look at any industry that isn't heavily subsidized by cash reserves or government or outsourced, prices are at least 50% more than a couple years ago.

Average inflation is around 4%. i dont this is the problem.

AMD have to pay off the big loan for ATI this is the problem.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
That dual 7970 GPU is quite impressive but why hasn't AMD brought out their
HD 8xxx line-up yet? They are way behind schedule which isn't like AMD..

Maybe they can't produce a card that's faster than the 7970.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
That dual 7970 GPU is quite impressive but why hasn't AMD brought out their
HD 8xxx line-up yet? They are way behind schedule which isn't like AMD..

Maybe they can't produce a card that's faster than the 7970.

AMD's new marketing guy (sorry can't remember his name. :< ) was reported as saying that there's no point in releasing new cards right now. He felt that AMD had the best cards on the market, but the public didn't think so. Until that perception was changed he felt that it was pointless to release the new series of cards.

What he's saying makes sense. A 7970 shouldn't have to be cheaper than a 680 to sell. If the roles were reversed and nVidia had a card that was faster with an extra gig of RAM they would be able to get a price premium for their card.

Keep in mind that nVidia refreshing their lineup would change the scenario. I'm sure at that point AMD would have to respond with new cards of their own.

Both companies have good reasons to be happy with the status quo. The ASP's are up on this generation. Especially for nVidia. They're getting about twice as much for the current gen cards than the prior 2 generations, at least, and they're selling quite well. I think the 650ti Boost though shows they are being pushed a bit by AMD currently in the market. It's actually excellent perf/$. It's also not particularly efficient. Which could be showing that AMD is pushing them performance wise.

I'll be curious to see Malta. I really don't think it's going to be anything earth shattering. If they can make it run as cool as the Powercolor cards but be quiet(er) as the 690, and get the pricing right ($800) it could be a winner. Of course the Crossfire experience needs to be improved.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Average inflation is around 4%. i dont this is the problem.

AMD have to pay off the big loan for ATI this is the problem.

The fed is pumping 85 billion dollars of liquidity a month into the market. Thats almost a trillion dollars a year. If you think real average inflation is 4% your aren't paying attention to whole lot that's going on.

1286909168-image1.gif

Last edited:

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
The fed is pumping 85 billion dollars of liquidity a month into the market. Thats almost a trillion dollars a year. If you think real average inflation is 4% your aren't paying attention to whole lot that's going on.

1286909168-image1.gif

Yes except i dont live in America so the Fed doesnt really affect me.

Also raw material input costs are only a percent of retail prices. Inflation is measured at the checkout.

And that data is nearly 3 years old.

Last edited: