Battlefield 3 should smoke Modern Warfare 3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
BF3 will be a great game, though if its anything like BC2 it will take a patch or to for server browser to work, Fix LOD for widescreen, tell people to disable a graphics feature till next patch, have one gun that is overpowered and stays overpowered for 3 months till they put out a patch, then delay said patch so they can put more in patch of stuff no one cares about.
Oh and after release after everyone uses ORIGIN they put out a press release touting its success even though you are forced to use it anyways.
That about sums up DICE patch history.

vrait

Aug 10, 2010
CoD sucks now a days. Sorry but anyone who is going to buy MW3 is a freaking idiot. I wasted money on Blops and it sucked, and was extremely buggy.

This is the exact SAME AS CoD4. Why buy the game FIVE freaking times!?

It's a stupid reskin console trash.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
At least it's better than that turd BC2.

the guns sound like shit, i can't run and look at the same time lol. and the controls feel like i'm floating.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
CoD sucks now a days. Sorry but anyone who is going to buy MW3 is a freaking idiot. I wasted money on Blops and it sucked, and was extremely buggy.

This is the exact SAME AS CoD4. Why buy the game FIVE freaking times!?

It's a stupid reskin console trash.

You bought Black Ops. You're part of the problem.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
You bought Black Ops. You're part of the problem.

Hell i bought it too but cause i never purchased a Cod game before and the last one i played was the cod4 demo.

Didn't buy it cause i was stuck in UT3 and BF2 land till BC2 came out.

Needed variety with Black Ops as all i played this year was BC2 honestly as a fps and after 2 weeks on and off,i'm right back to BC2 full time.

Might buy BF2 again cause after playing with idiots in BC2 sometimes i would love some roadrage in offline BF2 as i used to get a kick out of it.:thumbsup:

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
I'm building a new PC just for BF3. This game is going to be epic.

BF2 was one of my most favourite games ever, and I have high hopes for BF3 gameplay.

digitard

Jan 17, 2006
www.ikuznicki.com
I don't even put them in the same league. I will buy both, but for different reasons.

I love the true BF games (aka BF2 and prior, maybe even 2142 but I was lukewarm on that one from the first time I booted it up) because of the fact they're so encompassing, epic, vast and a bit more on the realistic side (how things work, etc).

The MW games are insanely fun, but they're like the Arcadey compliment to BF. They're a bit faster, a bit smaller, a bit more arcade style, but still very solid and I enjoy it.

So... I don't even compare them. I will say, though, if you put both copies down in front of me and said 'you can only play one' I'd pick BF3 any day of the week!

** NOTE: Yes, my wife has been made aware one of my checks is going to be going to building a new machine just after BF3's release. Why after? So I know what works the best, of course! **

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
The Caspian Border multiplayer footage they released the other day is the most impressive footage I've seen yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE

I'm sure Activision probably shat their pants after watching that video. :p

the only problem i saw with the trailer was the end:

"pre-order to get the back to karkand expansion free"

so they're releasing a game to which they already have an expansion.....which means they're really charging you more for content that should be in BF3 vanilla.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
the only problem i saw with the trailer was the end:

"pre-order to get the back to karkand expansion free"

so they're releasing a game to which they already have an expansion.....which means they're really charging you more for content that should be in BF3 vanilla.

They did that with BC2 as well. Many of the "new maps" in the packs were just adapting the same maps in the game to new game types.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
They haven't had a graphical engine overhaul since COD 2 I presume. The engine showed its age in Black Ops when everything lagged to hell and gone in the multiplayer maps.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I don't even put them in the same league. I will buy both, but for different reasons.

I love the true BF games (aka BF2 and prior, maybe even 2142 but I was lukewarm on that one from the first time I booted it up) because of the fact they're so encompassing, epic, vast and a bit more on the realistic side (how things work, etc).

The MW games are insanely fun, but they're like the Arcadey compliment to BF. They're a bit faster, a bit smaller, a bit more arcade style, but still very solid and I enjoy it.

So... I don't even compare them. I will say, though, if you put both copies down in front of me and said 'you can only play one' I'd pick BF3 any day of the week!

** NOTE: Yes, my wife has been made aware one of my checks is going to be going to building a new machine just after BF3's release. Why after? So I know what works the best, of course! **

I share the same views as you do for the most part. COD is a in-your-face shootem up while BF3 is more of a usage of scale and geographics to your advantage. They both have their balancing issues and mechanical flaws, but I can enjoy them equally from time-to-time. However BF BC in my mind tries my patience more so than COD BO or MW2 did.

I do disagree on how, or why, people think collectivly that BF is portrayed as more realistic. They add physics to a lot of their game mechanics, true, but by no means makes it a gun or battle simulation.At best the added effects like bullet drag and gravity give us a little learning curve. As for realism, bull shit. If it was realistic, a shot in the leg would put some one down.

Last edited:

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
The only gripe I have, is not being able to move sideways properly, like a 90 degree angle forward and right. Say 0130 on a clock. If I am pushing my forward key, and then hit a straffing key, nothing happens. Still just go straight forward. Drives me crazy. I just started playing BC2 a few months ago though, so I didnt go thru any growing pains of the game.

But yes, BF3 sure looks to be better. But sadly MW3 will sell more. Probably at least 2x as much. I expect BF3 to be reviewed better, and praised more in forums however.

thats a 45 degree angle and you can, just not while sprinting

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
I was under the impression that EA was REALLY going to step up marketing for BF3. I guess we'll see.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
BFBC2 had it's issues but I definitely liked it better than MW2 simply for the fact I couldn't get knifed from 7 feet away.

WMD

Apr 13, 2011
No, to my knowledge it was only implied at E3 that Battlefield (not specifically Battlefield 3) could make an appearance on the Wii U. It hasn't actually been announced.

Sound? The Battlefield series has some of the best sound design of any game...

The explosions are silent like they have silencers on rpgs and grenades.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Honestly, I am not impressed with BF3, and I am hoping that mw3 will be better, if so, I may buy it.

I have been pleasantly surprised recently, after hearing that mw3 will have user end dedi servers, rcon, lan, and possibly MOD SUPPORT later on.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
My prediction:

BF3 outsells MW3 on PC, MW3 lays waste to BF3 in console sales.

My fact:

MW3 is utter trash and not worth the $15 charge for a Craptivision map pack.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Honestly, I am not impressed with BF3, and I am hoping that mw3 will be better, if so, I may buy it.

I have been pleasantly surprised recently, after hearing that mw3 will have user end dedi servers, rcon, lan, and possibly MOD SUPPORT later on.
Except dedi servers are only unranked for MW3, BF3 has console and admin support (not sure if rcon or daemon, I'm out of the loop on procon and bf3CC at the moment). Jury's out on mod tools for BF3, but if I were a betting man, I'd say no. MW3 won't have them at launch, maybe not at all.

Am I biased against COD? Yeah, by quite a bit. I like COD a lot until MW2, but BF has been my franchise since basically the beginning. I cut my PC gaming teeth on 1942.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Modern Warfare 3 graphics are exactly the same as MW2, we are in the year 2011 and Call of Duty are still selling us for 60$ a game with a DirectX 9 graphics engine from the year 2007.

Battlefield 3 is the better option, it gives us new DirectX 11 graphhics engine, we get vehicles, large maps and large number of players on the PC, it should smoke Modern Warfare 3.

I made a video comparing the graphics quality of COD4, MW2, Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 and it shows how Activision is selling us a game for 60$ that is basically a new map pack of Modern Warfare 2.

It's not all about the graphics, just sayin'

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

El Presador wannabe.

Anyways. Gamestop UK is doing a weird promotion where if you buy BF3, you can trade it in for MW3 for 1 pound, ~$2. It turns out that this is the cheapest way to buy MW3, because it costs 10 pounds more than BF3.

I can see it benefiting EA, as more people might buy BF3 than they normally would and inflate sales a bit, but I dont quite see how this would help Activision. I would think Gamestop would either be taking a hit or breaking even. Unless EA instigated this, it looks like a total panic move on Activision's part, or a strange move on Gamestop's part. Maybe GS UK is banking on BF3 picking up enough momentum to sell the used copies of BF3 once MW3 launches to cover the costs of the promotion. I have a hard time believing Activision would eat it on sales to stunt BF3 momentum in the region.