Battlefield 2 on Windows 10?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Anyone have any luck getting BF2 to install on a Win 10 machine?I can get the install to start, it pops up the warning "This game was only tested on Windows XP" then the install starts...but hangs up on some part of "common something" and won't move past that. I've tried "Windows 7 and 8 compatibility, "Run as administrator," neither make any difference. When it hangs up, it completely locks things up. Can't shut the install down in any way. Have to reboot the computer to make it go away.
I KNOW the game is old...I've run it on XP, Vista, and 7, with a few tweaks along the way...but it ALWAYS installed...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Just to add on to this...CoD2 appears to install, but won't run, yet in anticipation of this coming week's nVidia release of Quake II with RTX support, I installed the game for the first time in more than a decade.mind you, this is a Windows 95 game, yet it installs and runs fine. Of course, it doesn't recognize the native resolution of my monitor, (1600 x 1200 is the game's max) but otherwise...

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I had it working a couple months ago. I don't recall at all what I did to get it working, but it did work. I think there was some third party patch that strips out Gamespy and does a few other things? I may have also been using a Forgotten Hope 2 mod/launcher.

Edit: I think you need this https://www.bf2hub.com/home/

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I had it working a couple months ago. I don't recall at all what I did to get it working, but it did work. I think there was some third party patch that strips out Gamespy and does a few other things? I may have also been using a Forgotten Hope 2 mod/launcher.

Edit: I think you need this https://www.bf2hub.com/home/

I have that. Used it after GameSpy shut down...doesn't help with the install however.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
There used to be something called 'BF2 Revive', but they got into trouble with EA and had to close down. I played it on Win10 no problem. I didn't feel bad about getting it b/c I already have a physical copy of BF2.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Are you installing from disc? If so the DRM is probably getting blocked by Windows 10. You can try to temporarily disable the protection or contact EA to see if you can redeem your key on Origin.

Spg1

Mar 16, 2011
I have it working on win 10. I think I had to copy the files to the hard drive and then install. I also have a few mods installed as well, but it has been so long since I installed I don't really remember.