Battlefield 1 released!

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Posted elsewhere guys, but desperate for answers:
I often have the game freeze, and my system fans go to idle, and I have to control alt delete to get back to desktop. The main problem is when I try to close battlefield, it won't allow me no matter what I do. I have to physically restart the computer, and since it's a bit older it takes quite a while, then I have to reboot the game etc. . What can I do?
Is your PC overheating? Do you have lots of background applications running? Have you tried lowering settings to see if you exhibit the same symptoms? Remove any overclock and try it that way.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Posted elsewhere guys, but desperate for answers:
I often have the game freeze, and my system fans go to idle, and I have to control alt delete to get back to desktop. The main problem is when I try to close battlefield, it won't allow me no matter what I do. I have to physically restart the computer, and since it's a bit older it takes quite a while, then I have to reboot the game etc. . What can I do?
Are you running any kind of system monitoring like CoreTemp or anything? I'm wondering if you're running outta ram or something and hopefully something like that would give you an idea. Does task manager show resources being eaten up by anything?

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Is your PC overheating? Do you have lots of background applications running? Have you tried lowering settings to see if you exhibit the same symptoms? Remove any overclock and try it that way.
Not running any background stuff as far as I know. Tried to strip it down as much as I can. No OC. I guess I could try lowering settings, but it will often play for hours with no problem, everything maxed out.
Are you running any kind of system monitoring like CoreTemp or anything? I'm wondering if you're running outta ram or something and hopefully something like that would give you an idea. Does task manager show resources being eaten up by anything?
Not running anything fancy as far as I know. I've tried to keep my system simple. My system just crashed, and I took a video of the messages. CPU is at 32%, ram at 75%, most of it on the "app" of Battlefield1.exe.
If I choose "end task", the "app" icon disappears, but a new bf1.exe "Background process" appears, using very little resources in comparison, but it will refuse to close no matter what I do.
I've tried closing the game via Origin and every method that I can think of including in the game itself, but it will do nothing. I can use my computer as normal, but if I try to launch the game again or play it somehow, it will refuse, telling me I already have a game going.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Sounds like something is corrupted. Have you tried uninstalling, deleting the old folders and reinstalling from origin? Can't think of what it may be unless it's hardware but it seems to happen only when you play the game.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
Yes, only happens in game, but this is the only game I play, so hardware is only pushed in bf1. Some of my hardware is quite old, but still works for my purposes, like the Millenium Falcon.
Guess I could try reinstall, sounds like a PITA. Would some kind of other wiping be needed to clean stuff up?
How about CCCleaner?
Would it help to uninstall bf4 which I never play anymore?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yes, only happens in game, but this is the only game I play, so hardware is only pushed in bf1. Some of my hardware is quite old, but still works for my purposes, like the Millenium Falcon.
Guess I could try reinstall, sounds like a PITA. Would some kind of other wiping be needed to clean stuff up?
How about CCCleaner?
Would it help to uninstall bf4 which I never play anymore?
I would uninstall bf 1 and bf4 using the control panel or through origin if you can do it there. Then use cc cleaner to clean up the registry items that are left over. Once that's done you can reinstall bf1 and see if the issue has been resolved. Also make sure you have the latest gpu drivers. Give it a go, I've formatted a few times and it did improve my performance when I upgraded hardware and removed stuff I was not using anymore.

What I've noticed is bf1 is pretty cpu oriented and I've noticed it does use a lot of my CPU power.

TheNiceGuy

Golden Member
Dec 23, 2004
I would uninstall bf 1 and bf4 using the control panel or through origin if you can do it there. Then use cc cleaner to clean up the registry items that are left over. Once that's done you can reinstall bf1 and see if the issue has been resolved. Also make sure you have the latest gpu drivers. Give it a go, I've formatted a few times and it did improve my performance when I upgraded hardware and removed stuff I was not using anymore.

What I've noticed is bf1 is pretty cpu oriented and I've noticed it does use a lot of my CPU power.

Ok cheers, ill try that if I get fed up enough with it. Gpu drivers were confusing/stressful when I looked at doing simular years ago- iirc the core drivers weren't updated, buts bundled drivers and lots of peripheral stuff like the UI was. Not sure if I ever got the core from bloat ever properly sorted.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
We just got it a few days ago. I am enjoying it a lot, new maps and weapons. Really like a few of the maps. Some smaller, some bigger. One is real trench warfare, with trenches from flag to flag.

Really enjoying it, and the 2xXP.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
In the Name of the Tsar DLC is the best yet for BF1. Fun maps, everything from frantic CQB to wide open trench warfare.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I agree, it is. The only one I don't care for much, is the island map. Seems to either be love or hate with that one. Its different, so there's that I guess.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
How much is this new dlc? I bought the premium pass a while after the game came out. Haven't logged on in more than a couple of months.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I agree, it is. The only one I don't care for much, is the island map. Seems to either be love or hate with that one. Its different, so there's that I guess.

Im a little torn on the Albion Islands too, I usually just try to stay in the middle and battle for the 2 flags on the high ground.

How much is this new dlc? I bought the premium pass a while after the game came out. Haven't logged on in more than a couple of months.
If you bought the premium pass then you should be ready to go, just log in and download the updates and latest content.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Premium Pass is on sale today on Amazon... I'm just getting back into BF1 after not playing it for months... Is it worth it at the $30 price point at this time??? Aside from the Maps, what else does it provide?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Premium Pass is on sale today on Amazon... I'm just getting back into BF1 after not playing it for months... Is it worth it at the $30 price point at this time??? Aside from the Maps, what else does it provide?
If you still play, sure. You get some extra batlepacks and dogtags also.
Feel like a bit of a sucker though, the Revolution edition is $40 now, which includes the game and premium pass. :)

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
The real meat of the DLC is the maps. There's also new weapons and usually a new gameplay mode. This last DLC also added Specializations.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Guess I'll start it up again because they emailed about the incursions closed alpha and looks like I was selected.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Not a big fan of the boats only map. The one with the dock isn't bad. With many of the servers just running the new 4 maps, I feel the boat one is going to get old really fast.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Who is still playing? In Game names? For now I play as 'Falafelist' mostly in Team Deathmatch servers but open to trying other modes.

Last edited:

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Not a big fan of the boats only map. The one with the dock isn't bad. With many of the servers just running the new 4 maps, I feel the boat one is going to get old really fast.
Agree, the last two maps they just released are horrible IMO.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Funny, I remember BF4 acting all funny and becoming boggy. Then I discovered my HSF on the CPU was not on correctly and it fried. Those stock HSF's that use the screw-pins are horrible design. Even if one pin pops up or not fully fastened, you will have heat issues and not all monitor programs are accurate. You have to physically look what is going on inside the case.