Battlefield 1 on PC dead already?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Medic always get the shaft and I think they play the bigger role in team success. I always end up playing the medic on a squad because its always filled with snipers and support. The guns are great med-range with good accuracy but the reload times and damage are freaking terrible in anything less than a duck for cover situation. Why be a medic with a crap gun, when you play as a scout armed with radar mapping flares and one-shot kill infantry rifle that can fire accurately from 10m-250m?

Automatico's are still insanely OP for most of the tight quarter maps. And there are many maps you can just bull doze with that gun.

Heavy Tanks have no armor.

If you're not taking advantage of the OP or widely unfair advantages the game gives you in classes, then you are likely being aggravated by how horrible the game trys to over-compensate for the WW1 low tech weaponry.

I do believe they tried too hard to make the best out of a game engine meant for Battlefront. It's not my favorite BF game and I do miss Bad Company and Battlefield 4. I still end up playing it for what it is and the competition out there is pretty weak. PUBG might have some merit but is a completely different type of game.

Battlefield 5 or WW2 BF will likely be more of the same because Dice/EA will not give up on Battlefront series and with the two game engines merged as one, we're just going to have to continue to eat it until we vote with our wallets. In business terms, they likely overpaid for the Star Wars usage rights, and are trying to salvage it by making horrible games with hype marketing. So for the President to save face before being voted out by stock holders of EA, he will continue to double down on it until he ready to retire.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I haven't played a Battlefield game since Bad Company 2 but support characters were the absolute quickest way to level up online. I can't remember if there were medics, but I remember running around the front lines and just throwing out ammo refills and ranking MVP with only a handful of kills (usually more deaths than kills too).

Oh, and playing as Engineer and running toward enemy tanks with my blowtorch out so they think I'm there to heal them, then slapping some C4 on their back armor and detonating it immediately. I found that if I didn't kamikaze the tanks, they would realize what I did and kill me long before I got to safety.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Figures I missed the 2x XP, lol. Meh, I'm not sure 5x or 10x XP would help me much, LMAO. God I'm horrible.

I've heard some rumors about the next one... World War II (bleh, way overdone), I think the Cold War (could be awesome), and Vietnam too. A Vietnam one could definitely be great I think.

It was just 2x XP last weekend too. The new BF game is set back in WWII era, and I am very excited. The Vietnam BF was great fun, and not given it's due I don't think. The maps were great.

The newest maps for BF1 are some of my favorite. Lots of trench warfare. Very few planes, and no damn boats. Its only 3 maps, lots of in your face action. Running the trenches and seeing who wins after meeting face to face is fun. Playing alone and getting killed by a FT sucks though. All my friends play on the damn console.

Not really excited about loot boxes... after Battlefront II they may have an uphill battle. Takes FOREVER to level up in Battlefront II, hope not the case with BF V. I do enjoy Battlefront II though.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It was just 2x XP last weekend too. The new BF game is set back in WWII era, and I am very excited. The Vietnam BF was great fun, and not given it's due I don't think. The maps were great.

The newest maps for BF1 are some of my favorite. Lots of trench warfare. Very few planes, and no damn boats. Its only 3 maps, lots of in your face action. Running the trenches and seeing who wins after meeting face to face is fun. Playing alone and getting killed by a FT sucks though. All my friends play on the damn console.

Not really excited about loot boxes... after Battlefront II they may have an uphill battle. Takes FOREVER to level up in Battlefront II, hope not the case with BF V. I do enjoy Battlefront II though.
So it's more or less confirmed about World War II? Meh. Don't get me wrong, I'm a history nut and find the period fascinating, but I'm just not excited about another WWII game. But Battlefield has always impressed me so maybe it'll be ok.

I'm definitely not liking lootbox crap though. I never even tried Battlefront II, despite it looking cool, because I had such a hard time in Battlefront I and lootboxes are a turn off to me. I just don't play games enough to learn the maps like the back of my hand, like I used to in high school, and I get creamed. I gravitate more towards less competitive games, I guess, these days.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
According to an article on Engadget. The team wanted to wait long enough to revisit it and not do it too soon. I am also a history nut, especially with WWII. The genre did get run into the ground when you count the other games as well. Still, I played them all. And will play this one too. I don't game as much either, but still do often enough. Learning the maps a pretty crucial. My oldest son plays Overwatch much more... trying to get him into BF more though.

You should really try the new maps. Its just basic FPS and pretty fun. Not as many snipers either with all the fog/gas. BF does do a pretty good job at being historically accurate.

Found a link for you; https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/05/battlefield-v-details-campaign-co-op-and-more/

Seems loot boxes won't be exactly the same at in Battlefront II, but there still.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Playing alone and getting killed by a FT sucks though. All my friends play on the damn console.

Do what I did, get a console and buy a XIM Apex M/KB translator that translates your mKB into controller movements. It's not great with every console game but the BF series of games are known to have great look mechanics which equals great mKB translation skills from the Apex. You can get a PS4 Pro and a XIM Apex for $500, cheaper than the cost of a high end video card by far. I can vouch that BF1 feels like playing on a PC

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Do what I did, get a console and buy a XIM Apex M/KB translator that translates your mKB into controller movements. It's not great with every console game but the BF series of games are known to have great look mechanics which equals great mKB translation skills from the Apex. You can get a PS4 Pro and a XIM Apex for $500, cheaper than the cost of a high end video card by far. I can vouch that BF1 feels like playing on a PC

I have been watching that, user reviews seem to be good. I have the Hori Tactical Commander for my PS4 Pro now. Works great in Overwatch, not so much in BF1. Mainly because I cannot change the buttons. I don't want my space bar to jump, I want my right mouse button to jump. But since it binds X to the space bar with no way to edit it, I can't change it. Overwatch lets you change buttons in the game. I read there is an app to change buttons on the Apex? No issues at all with m/kb? I wouldn't care to spend the extra money to get the Apex. I have an extra Razer kb too, and they have a new mouse I want.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have been watching that, user reviews seem to be good. I have the Hori Tactical Commander for my PS4 Pro now. Works great in Overwatch, not so much in BF1. Mainly because I cannot change the buttons. I don't want my space bar to jump, I want my right mouse button to jump. But since it binds X to the space bar with no way to edit it, I can't change it. Overwatch lets you change buttons in the game. I read there is an app to change buttons on the Apex? No issues at all with m/kb? I wouldn't care to spend the extra money to get the Apex. I have an extra Razer kb too, and they have a new mouse I want.

No issues with m/kb. It works with so many mice and keyboards that they don't have a compatible list anymore, just a non-compatible list. As long as the keyboard or mouse doesn't need software to map the keys or something, it will work fine. I use a Corsair K70 Rapidfire keyboard and a G502 mouse no problems. I have heard Razer users on the forums say they are good to go.

The Apex comes with an app for iOS or android that connects to the Apex via BT and from there you can set all your bindings as you wish, as well as adjust different settings for each game config you load up. You are not locked into anything, you can bind any single controller button to any button on your mouse or keyboard. I use the middle mouse button click for jump in all my games, voila, it works on Apex.

I primarily play BF1 and it has been a seamless transition in that particular game with the Apex. I also heard Titanfall is very smooth with the Apex so I picked that up too. Along with Far Cry 5, after hearing that the Far Cry games have good look mechanics that jive with the XIM products as well.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Maybe I am just too old now, but I don't find Bf1 as fun as Bf4. Played some metro meat grinder in 4 not too long ago, and was a blast. Bf1 I just die a lot. :(

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
The matches in BF1 are so incredibly lopsided most of the time, that wasn't my experience around launch. Has the player base thinned out that much to cause this? I've been back to BF1 for a week and have logged some decent hours in, and there are almost no close matches to be found. Fortunately the game is still fun, and it can even be fun when you're losing to. Behemoths help the losing team but these matches I'm seeing are so painfully lopsided that they really have no impact.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
The matches in BF1 are so incredibly lopsided most of the time, that wasn't my experience around launch. Has the player base thinned out that much to cause this? I've been back to BF1 for a week and have logged some decent hours in, and there are almost no close matches to be found. Fortunately the game is still fun, and it can even be fun when you're losing to. Behemoths help the losing team but these matches I'm seeing are so painfully lopsided that they really have no impact.
They stopped auto-balancing between matches.

satsau

Aug 11, 2011
Just picked up BF1 Revolution for $20.

Even if it's dead, if I can get a good 200 hours of conquest, then it will be worth it.