Battle of San Jacinto April 21, 1836

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Put in P&N because of political overtones.

9 Texans died, compared to the 1,360 Mexicans who lost their lives. The fighting quickly went from rifles to hand-to-hand. The Mexicans fled into the swamps and marshes.

In the book The Raven: A Biography of Sam Houston, it is noted some of the Mexicans were screaming "Me no Alamo !" as Texans gave the Mexicans the same quarter that was shown at the Alamo and Goliad.

The battle only lasted about 18 minutes. But the slaughter continued for an hour or so after the main battle ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Jacinto

After Santa Anna was captured he was treated with the upmost respect by Sam Houston.

Sam was wounded during the battle and almost died from infection.

I feel that this kind of spirit is mostly dead. As Bain said in Dark Knight Rises, "victory has defeated you." We have allowed ourselves to become weak and complacent.

Chances are the founding father would have revolted over an income tax, must less the federal reserve, gun control and various excessive taxation.

Americans have grown fat and lazy. We no longer care about freedom, but instead are content in our subjugation.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Put in P&N because of political overtones.

9 Texans died, compared to the 1,360 Mexicans who lost their lives. The fighting quickly went from rifles to hand-to-hand. The Mexicans fled into the swamps and marshes.

In the book The Raven: A Biography of Sam Houston, it is noted some of the Mexicans were screaming "Me no Alamo !" as Texans gave the Mexicans the same quarter that was shown at the Alamo and Goliad.

The battle only lasted about 18 minutes. But the slaughter continued for an hour or so after the main battle ended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Jacinto

After Santa Anna was captured he was treated with the upmost respect by Sam Houston.

Sam was wounded during the battle and almost died from infection.

I feel that this kind of spirit is mostly dead. As Bain said in Dark Knight Rises, "victory has defeated you." We have allowed ourselves to become weak and complacent.

Chances are the founding father would have revolted over an income tax, must less the federal reserve, gun control and various excessive taxation.

Americans have grown fat and lazy. We no longer care about freedom, but instead are content in our subjugation.
I know. We're so oppressed sometimes I can't find the motivation to crawl out of bed.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Weak rant; 1/10

Those who fight and run away live to fight another day.

Fat & lazy? Speak for yourself and stop painting with such a wide brush.

I know I'll be sorry for asking but by whom do you feel we are being subjugated?

I know. We're so oppressed sometimes I can't find the motivation to crawl out of bed.

Actually I find past, present and future TH threads oppressing and anti-motivational.

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I know I'll be sorry for asking but by whom do you feel we are being subjugated?

Taxation mainly. Do not pay your property taxes and see how free you are. Do not pay your income tax and see how free you are.

You are a subject. If you do not pay your fees to keep your home and stay out of jail, you will lose your home and end up in prison.

Lack of opposing parties secondly.

Our jobs have been given to overseas cheap labor, the working middle class is struggling, there is no recovery, wall street has our government on a leash, and for some reason you consider yourself free?

How many choices do you vote for? Do you vote for the same two parties over and over? But yet people complain about how they want term limits?

Actually I find past, present and future TH threads oppressing and anti-motivational.

Then why are you here in my thread?

Please leave.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Please leave.

help-help-im-being-repressed.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Taxation mainly. Do not pay your property taxes and see how free you are. Do not pay your income tax and see how free you are.

You are a subject. If you do not pay your fees to keep your home and stay out of jail, you will lose your home and end up in prison.

Our jobs have been given to overseas cheap labor, the working middle class is struggling, there is no recovery, wall street has our government on a leash, and for some reason you consider yourself free?

How many choices do you vote for? Do you vote for the same two parties over and over? But yet people complain about how they want term limits?

You outlined some of what you view as oppression but you didn't really answer the question...

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You outlined some of what you view as oppression but you didn't really answer the question...

By whom?

By the government.

The government has told us what we must pay every year to keep our property and to stay out of prison. We are supposed to call that freedom? How are we free but have to buy a product or get fined?

How is our current state any different than the serfdom in medieval Europe? You either pay a fee to the lord (in this case the government) or you are kicked off the property. The concept of true property ownership is a thing of the past.

Where are the leaders like Sam Houston? Not as in armed revolt, but as in standing up to the government?

I think a lot of it boils down to the voters.

After the bank bailout my local federal representative was only opposed by a libertarian. Did the people of southeast Texas vote Kevin Brady out of office? Nope. Even though he voted for the bank bailout the people returned him to office.

I feel the people have been in a vicious cycle for the past 100+ years of returning people to office over and over.

We say we want change in Washington, but the same people are voted back in year after year. When someone steps forward and says they will bring about real change, such as the Libertarian Party, the people turn their back.

How are the people supposed to change the course of government when the same elected officials are returned to office decade after decade?

Last edited:

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

Please leave.

Taxes are the price we pay for living in a civilized society. You can always move to Somalia or some other country with non-existent/non-functioning government and pay no taxes.

Lack of opposing political parties I agree but it does not subjugate me or anyone else. It is however up to us to change and maintain it.

All current issues we face. It takes due diligence, on both the electorate and the citizenry to tackle those and other issues. Have you ever heard of a "sonnet"? A type of poem with rigid structure and rules. But within that rigid structure you can do anything you want. To me, that's freedom.

I vote for who I think will do the best job for all. Term limits have both good and bad aspects but overall they would be a good law to pass.

/check the batteries in your sarcasm meter.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Ok, I gotta ask - what gives with the casualty disparity? Was this like Pickett's charge at Gettysburg?

Mexican military had been trained to exchange volleys of gunfire in the open.

The Texans snuck up on the Mexican army using the high grass, then ambushed them. There was one volley of gunfire and that was from the Texans. The Mexicans fled and the fight went to hand-to-hand.

I can only speculate that the Texans were in a rage over the slaughter at Goliad and the Alamo.

At Goliad the Texans were put to death after they had surrendered.

Taxes are the price we pay for living in a civilized society. You can always move to Somalia or some other country with non-existent/non-functioning government and pay no taxes.

The price we pay is to live under the threat of imprisonment?

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Mexican military had been trained to exchange volleys of gunfire in the open.

The Texans snuck up on the Mexican army using the high grass, then ambushed them. There was one volley of gunfire and that was from the Texans. The Mexicans fled and the fight went to hand-to-hand.

I can only speculate that the Texans were in a rage over the slaughter at Goliad and the Alamo.

At Goliad the Texans were put to death after they had surrendered.

The price we pay is to live under the threat of imprisonment?
Can you be put in prison for simply not paying taxes? I've heard of prison for evasion and fraud, but I think the most the IRS will do for simply not paying is wage garnishment.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Sooooo you're saying we should invade Russia?? Let's stop beating around the bush like you usually do TH.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Sooooo you're saying we should invade Russia?? Let's stop beating around the bush like you usually do TH.

Lets invade Mexico.

Can you be put in prison for simply not paying taxes? I've heard of prison for evasion and fraud, but I think the most the IRS will do for simply not paying is wage garnishment.

Dont pay your income tax, lets see what happens.

It is nothing more than a form of debtors prison.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I don't think people realize how professional the mexican army was back in the day. We pretty much beat the shit out of them though. Your average person today might think that we just wooped up a ragtag group of poor mexicans...which is not the case at all.

I guess when your tactics are to kill people in your sleep, you are going to do well on the field.

Then after we got done doing that, we took all those hard earned efforts and used them against ourselves. :(

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
So, no prison then? Going to dial it back a bit?

What happens if you do not pay your income tax?

You go to jail.

Dont believe me? Try it and find out.

Dial it back? Do you work for homeland security or something?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What happens if you do not pay your income tax?

You go to jail.

Dont believe me? Try it and find out.

Dial it back? Do you work for homeland security or something?
Why would I need to try it? If people go to prison for not paying taxes, surely you can find examples of this happening.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Why would I need to try it? If people go to prison for not paying taxes, surely you can find examples of this happening.

Ok then, what is the problem?

Our forefathers would be rolling over in their grave if they knew how much we were paying in taxes.

I would love to hvae seen Thomas Jefferson paying property taxes on Monticello. Boston tea party happened a small tax. But yet we are taxed out the ass?

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Ok, I gotta ask - what gives with the casualty disparity? Was this like Pickett's charge at Gettysburg?
More like the battle at Concord that started the revolutionary war.
The British had forgotten what was learned during the French and Indian wars and were operating under the European concept of who could handle the most casualties face to face.
The Mexicans has been trained using that concept by the Spanish 60 years later. The Spanish had not fought on the North American continent previously. Only in Central America against the natives with no firearms

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014

I feel that this kind of spirit is mostly dead.

Ah, the residential blood thirsty creep longs for murdering enemy combatants, long after they have been defeated.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Ah, the residential blood thirsty creep longs for murdering enemy combatants, long after they have been defeated.

Simply not true.

Tell me, where are the real leaders of our time? Certainly not obama, clinton or her husband, biden, bush, rumsfield,,,, we have no real leaders. As a result the people suffer.

When someone comes along who says they will change the way our government works, the people turn their back to that person. Why is that? Why are people so afraid to vote third party?

Are the people so afraid of change that we live in misery?

Feb 6, 2007
Our forefathers would be rolling over in their grave if they knew how much we were paying in taxes.

Why do you believe this? The quote is "no taxation without representation" not "no taxation at all because FREEDOM." Do we have representation? Then we have the power to vote for the taxation systems we would prefer. The people have seen fit to vote in a series of politicians from two political parties who continually seek to raise additional revenues because both are interested in increasing the size of the government; the consolidation of power into two prominent parties would probably bother the founding fathers slightly more than the relative level of taxation. But they'd also probably be pretty impressed that we had made ourselves into a legitimate superpower, so maybe that tax money was well spent.

Honestly, I'm not sure why people always fall back on "that's not what the founding fathers wanted!" The founding fathers wanted only white male landowners to be able to vote, they wanted to own slaves, they wanted women to be declared property of their husband, and dozens of other antiquated ideas that have no place in modern society any more. Who gives a shit what they thought about taxation? The best thing about this notion that the founding fathers wanted things a particular way is that it completely ignores the fact that they didn't agree with each other any more than politicians do today; does the name Alexander Hamilton mean anything to you? Political rivals straight up killed each other in duels over petty squabbles, but they were all in lock-step agreement that taxes should be low? Pretty sure that's bullshit.