Battle continues over vet benefits

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Old law requires disability payments deducted from retirement

But Nix and half a million other disabled veterans learned after retiring that an obscure 19th century law reduces their retirement pay by the amount they get in disability. It?s a quirky law applying only to disabled soldiers and no other federal workers.

?If I were a civil servant, if I was anything but what I am, retired military, I?d be drawing [both disability and retirement.?

But the administration threatens to veto the legislation, arguing that changing the law would be too costly.:|

Old law requires disability payments deducted from retirement

Yea, a President that cares about the men and women who is calling to fight a war of his making. SOB!!

:|

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
It's really a shame the way our government has shafted the GIs on their benefits. Now that Congress is working on a fix Bush should be on board too. After all the spending this year WTH? GI benefits are one program worth every penny!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You know, maybe I'm wrong here - but maybe it shouldn't be that we should pay disability and retirement, but maybe other government workers should be paid the way the soldiers are. This is military retirement, correct? So they're getting that, Social Security, AND disability?

What about guys who didn't make the military a career, yet still fought in combat? My grandfather fought in World War 2, but left after the war. All he gets is Social Security and some disability - yet, it's possible that a guy who did nothing but sit behind a desk for 30 years would be getting more than he, even though my grandpa suffered vision and hearing damage.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
I am a strong proponent of veterans benefits, but there is something I am missing here.
If Nix served in Korea, wouldn't he have retired years ago? Why/how is this coming to light now?

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
NBC News has reported this story three times in the past year and a half. Now Congress has overwhelmingly voted to change the law to give disabled veterans both sets of benefits.

They are just using him as part of the story.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Lucky
NBC News has reported this story three times in the past year and a half. Now Congress has overwhelmingly voted to change the law to give disabled veterans both sets of benefits.

OK - but they make it sound like something that just happened.
The government is reducing his retirement pay.
His 'retirement' would have to have been at least 20 years ago.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Cyberian
Originally posted by: Lucky

OK - but they make it sound like something that just happened.
The government is reducing his retirement pay.
His 'retirement' would have to have been at least 20 years ago.

sounds like he recently became 100% disabled due to his injuries sustained in combat, and thus the disability pay is being subtracted from his retirement pay.