Battery powered decorative fiber optic cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I need two, thick (3mm or 1/8" ?) clear fiber optic cables with a blue light, around 10ft length. If I could get a single strand around 25' that may also work.

No idea where to find something like this...and I need it in like a week (so no overseas shops).

I was thinking maybe if I had to I could bundle finer strands into a tube of some kind...but I'm having difficulties finding fiber optic cables of the type/size I need on battery.

I've got something like this:

sku_164758_1.jpg

But it's a dark blue at all times...and I'd like something that's more clear with blue light showing through. I might have just gone with these as a last ditch kinda thing, but they took a while to ship and I accidentally fried one. So even if I wanted to use these I don't think I have time to get a replacement (not from where I originally got it anyway).

This is a commissioned project kinda thing worth several hundred dollars...didn't think finding the right kind of fiber optic cable would be so hard (I thought I did with the first product, but no).

Any help would be much appreciated.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
While I'm at it, how about a clear (blueish tint) plastic ribbon cable that looks kinda like an IDE cable?

I've got something that may work, but it has heat crimp marks on it from being in a weave (ripped it off a lawn chair lol).

I need 2x 5 feet sections between 2-2.5" wide, about as thick/flexible as an IDE cable and having a ribbed effect like an IDE cable is a definite plus. Not sure what kind of material this is, vinyl?

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
why don't you just get a fiber optic cable (eg stereo fiber optic cable) and some battery powered blue led's. You'll need to fabricate some sort of holder to direct the led into the fiber optic cable, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'll also need to strip off the rubber coating from around the fiber. Fast way to do it might be by lighting it on fire but i'm not sure what your end result will be.

Be careful with the fiber optic, it is glass and will break if you're not careful with it.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Amazon EL wire?

I did just realize this, and if I have to it looks like I can get a replacement in time from there.
Problem is I'd like a clear wire like fiber optic, but with a blue light to it.

And actually an even thicker cable is what I'm looking for, like maybe 3/16-1/4" but I don't think I can find that. I think I'm going to stuff some 1/8" ID water line to make it work.

Odd project...

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
why don't you just get a fiber optic cable (eg stereo fiber optic cable) and some battery powered blue led's. You'll need to fabricate some sort of holder to direct the led into the fiber optic cable, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'll also need to strip off the rubber coating from around the fiber. Fast way to do it might be by lighting it on fire but i'm not sure what your end result will be.

Be careful with the fiber optic, it is glass and will break if you're not careful with it.

They make plastic cable don't they? Can I find an LED with enough light, and I wonder how I would hook that up...and how I might get light to show along the whole length.
I do have a little while left for this, it needs to be finished before mid April I think...so I have some time for assembly.

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.wiedamark.com/fiberopticsolidcoresideglow.aspx

They have illuminators also if you don't want to rig something with an led or laser.

That may be just the thing, 50% wider too...but I cant find an off photo. I wanna see what it looks like with the light off. Actually I ave a few more questions too (power source?), maybe I'll contact them.

And is that a trustworthy site to order from, or did you just find em on google?

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
That may be just the thing, 50% wider too...but I cant find an off photo. I wanna see what it looks like with the light off. Actually I ave a few more questions too (power source?), maybe I'll contact them.

And is that a trustworthy site to order from, or did you just find em on google?

We used some fiber optics in a house I built and I used that site as a reference/potential source for the customer and the electrician. I was just the general contractor. I don't know where the electrician ended up purchasing the materials or exactly how he made it all work.

The application was an indoor pool. The domed ceiling was outfitted with end glow fibers to simulate the starry night sky, with the recognizable constellations and moving lasers to simulate falling stars. Large side glow fibers and LEDs were hidden above a valence that created a dusk to dawn change of color in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.