Battery - OK to use slightly bigger size?

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Say the car originally came with a certain battery "Group number."

Stores around me all sold out, no new stock expected for a long time.

IS it OK to put in a slightly different battery with a different "Group number" as long as it physically fits?

c3p0

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 2000
Car batteries are car batteries basically. Amperages may be different and they may be different sizes. But as long as it physically fits it will probably work just fine. Make sure you get a battery that fits the type of connectors you have on your battery cables though. When in doubt, take it to a mechanic.

c3p0
:beer:

Vetterin

Aug 31, 2004
Any battery will work as long as it has the minimum Cold Cranking Amps needed for your car and will physically fit in your battery tray. If it's too big for the tray you can always mount it in the trunk.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Vetterin
Any battery will work as long as it has the minimum Cold Cranking Amps needed for your car and will physically fit in your battery tray. If it's too big for the tray you can always mount it in the trunk.

:thumbsup:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: steppinthrax

QFT.

I have upsized my batteries in the past with ones with more amps that would fit in the tray. Usually all you need is a slight modification to the hold down if anything.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

My car has the battery mounted in the trunk; stock from the factory like that.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

You could be limited on size then depending how the factory setup is.

Bosconian

Sep 12, 2007
Originally posted by: alkemyst

QFT.

I have upsized my batteries in the past with ones with more amps that would fit in the tray. Usually all you need is a slight modification to the hold down if anything.

QFT ^ 2.

The primary things to look at are physical size, terminal location and that it has the MINIMUM CCA's.

Like a computer PSU, there's nothing wrong with having a 1000W when all you need is 300W as long as it fits in your case. ;)

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Bosconian
Originally posted by: alkemyst

QFT.

QFT ^ 2.

The primary things to look at are physical size, terminal location and that it has the MINIMUM CCA's.

Like a computer PSU, there's nothing wrong with having a 1000W when all you need is 300W as long as it fits in your case. ;)

The only 2 disadvantages I can see of having a large battery is:

1. If the battery ever goes completey dead the alternator will be taxed more to charge it but.

2. Car manufactures do a lot of research in balancing a car so that the battery's weight is taken into account.

But all in all I think they are negligable disadvantages. I'd be more concerned with the 1st one.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

A lot of people switch to trunk mounted batteries. Heat is #1 killer of batteries and if you put it in the trunk you cut down on a lot of that heat. The #1 best place to put it is somewhere in the cabin (like under the rear passenger seats). My sister's Pontiac is like that. In that sense the battery is A/C cooled!!!!

franksta

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
Out of curiosity what freak-sized battery do you have that is sold out everywhere and nobody is getting one in stock soon?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: franksta
Out of curiosity what freak-sized battery do you have that is sold out everywhere and nobody is getting one in stock soon?

Watch him say miata ;)

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I used differently sized batteries in all of my Hondas. The stock smaller battery was actually more expensive than the generic Wal-Mart battery that I replaced them with. They always lasted at least 4 years as well, starting every time. No small feat in Texas, where the temperature and humidity are about as spastic as Lindsay Lohan on coke, diet pills, and vodka.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
also, make sure you have the terminals on the correct location/side. (positive on upper left, negative on upper right)

for my previous car, the connecting cables have EXACT length, so should the positive be on the lower left or upper right, i will be screwed.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
If it will fit, it's totally fine. I put in a larger size on one of my cars because that's what they had. It lasted the next 100,000 miles I owned the car, despite some 105+ degree heat waves and sub-freezing starts.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Originally posted by: franksta

First, it's not my car.

The size needed was called Group 35.