Batman Arkman City and DRM

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Sigh

I never played BAC when it came out, I picked it up on sale and it sat there while I got my Graphics cards working. Finally yesterday I played it. Alas I found out after a few hours I couldn't save my progress. Thought nothing off it in todays world, games just save themselves at critical points right?! Go to play this evening and find myself unable to continue yesterdays game.

I Look up the cause today, turns out its a Windows f***ing live problem. The stupid Windows live DRM didn't even show up in game, so I had to manually install it. You know what would have been nice....a warning that my games wouldn't save!

So I have lost about 4 hours game play, which in such a story driven game is going to make the next 4 hours doing the same thing again very very dull. Its not like its a great story or the early fights are particularly thrilling. Remind me again how DRM doesn't impact paying customers doing completely normal things! Every DRM game I have had in the last few years has bitten me, I will only ever buy them on sale because of it and once again that strategy is vindicated.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
And now its stuck in the profile downloading loop. That is it, I officially give up. No more DRMed games for me this year.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Welcome to GFWL..

I am sorry you had to go through that, however. I've been in that same spot as you with GFWL, which is why i've vowed to avoid any game using it.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
That sucks, but is it common? I got the game from one of the Gamefly or Gamestop sales, can't remember which. The game has given me no issues and installed right the first time, but GFWL was already on my system.

Granted, the only two games I own that use GFWL are the Batman games, so not too much experience with it.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Network issue?
I picked it up recently on a steam sale and the only issue I've had with it is that its boring.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I have problems with F1 2011 as well, GFWL keeps dropping out. I can't play multiplayer games because of it. BAC is worse, it wont even login properly. I have no other connection problems, just GFWL. I have opened all the ports I have given it a great deal of effort and so far only some GFWL games actually work, the rest are just broken in a variety of ways. This one is the first one made utterly unplayable by the problem though, normally I just loose multiplayer not the ability to save games!

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I've been playing both Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City the last couple of weeks, after I bought them on Steam a few months ago.

The DRM and activation system really annoys me, but luckily I've not had any problems with GFWL or loosing any saves yet.

To be honest, I find Arkham City a little boring anyway. Not played Asylum that much yet, but It actually seems better than City in my opinion.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I've been playing both Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City the last couple of weeks, after I bought them on Steam a few months ago.

The DRM and activation system really annoys me, but luckily I've not had any problems with GFWL or loosing any saves yet.

To be honest, I find Arkham City a little boring anyway. Not played Asylum that much yet, but It actually seems better than City in my opinion.

Asylum is a lot more linear than city, and much more plot-driven. City was designed to be more of a sandbox game. I personally liked city better due to the expanded universe/freedom, but that's me.