Bathtub Made out of Tile??

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
Doing a full master bath remodel, and the contractors are telling me the best option is to have a bathtub made out of tile. I have no clue what this would look like as I can't even find any examples online.

Cost wise it'd be pretty similar. I know keeping it clean would be a little tricky, but otherwise not the end of the world. Any thoughts on this?

Contractors won't make any money off of it. The tile job would be with someone else.

Last edited:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
It's more expensive, and they want you to do it so that you waste your money on something of no practical value.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Doing a full master bath remodel, and the contractors are telling me the best option is to have a bathtub made out of tile. I have no clue what this would look like as I can't even find any examples online.

Cost wise it'd be pretty similar. I know keeping it clean would be a little tricky, but otherwise not the end of the world. Any thoughts on this?

Of course they'll tell you the best option is a bathtub made out of tile so they can charge you more. It's your money so do what you want with it.

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
Of course they'll tell you the best option is a bathtub made out of tile so they can charge you more. It's your money so do what you want with it.

Price won't be much different. Contractors probably won't make a dime more either way.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Price won't be much different. Contractors probably won't make a dime more either way.

WTF damn they must be charging you a crapload then. It's infinitely cheaper to drop in a pre-made tub then it is to build a tile one.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
1. It is going to cost you a lot more money (I use to work for a company that built custom hot tubs and swimming pools).

2. The maintenance is much higher than regular tub (unless you like to play with muriatic acid).

3. Heat loss is extremely high on a tile tub because you have to bring the tile, grout, and thin set up to temperature.

A standard acrylic/fiber glass tub could cost as little as $100 from Home Depot and another $100 for surround. labor would be a couple of hours install (not including plumbing).

Ugly cheap tiles would cost you at least $100 (but it is likely to be $250~400 or more), and then there are thinset, grout, sealer, trim pieces, and labour (tile setter and carpenter to built a frame/mold for the tub)

IMHO it is going to cost you at the very least $1500~2000 to get a custom tub built.

Sep 12, 2004
Are you talking about the actual tub or the walls around the tub?

If it's the bathtub, don't do it. The grout will wear out in a relatively short amount of time and need to be replaced, not to mention that keeping it clean will be a problem unless you are OCD about cleaning your bathroom.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
after2.jpg

?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
3. Heat loss is extremely high on a tile tub because you have to bring the tile, grout, and thin set up to temperature.

A standard acrylic/fiber glass tub could cost as little as $100 from Home Depot and another $100 for surround. labor would be a couple of hours install (not including plumbing).

If you turn the water on warm for a minute the tile no longer is cold. It's just like having a cast or steel tub.

For $100 you'll never get the awesome look of a custom built tiled tub.

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
Are you talking about the actual tub or the walls around the tub?

If it's the bathtub, don't do it. The grout will wear out in a relatively short amount of time and need to be replaced, not to mention that keeping it clean will be a problem unless you are OCD about cleaning your bathroom.

Tub and walls. Walls are a given. I have a feeling I'll get the tub done too though based on what happens tomorrow.

Dubb

Platinum Member
Mar 25, 2003
They're generally referred to as tiled soaking tubs.

Briefly something of a fetish amongst interior designers a few years ago. They can look really good if done well, but the practicalities of using them are a huge drawback. In addition to the things mentioned above, they can also take longer to fill since the interior corners are usually squared off rather than rounded, which adds a fair percentage to the total volume of the tub.

I wouldn't, but I would spend $$ on a badass modern ESS tub.

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
WTF damn they must be charging you a crapload then. It's infinitely cheaper to drop in a pre-made tub then it is to build a tile one.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want a crappy pre-made one anyway. If it's only $1k more, I don't mind. I think it still falls in my $30k budget. I just need to find out if it's worth it.

Sep 12, 2004
Tub and walls. Walls are a given. I have a feeling I'll get the tub done too though based on what happens tomorrow.
I'll say it again...stay away unless you happen to know that the tile-setter is immensely talented and can do it right (the tiles must be lain perfectly flat), you don't mind replacing the grout in 10 years, and you are OCD about cleaning your bathroom. While it may initially look awesome it's a form over function issue and the slightest error in tile setting, or settling in your foundation, will cause leaks and potentially major headaches.

HelloWorl

Feb 13, 2009
I'll say it again...stay away unless you happen to know that the tile-setter is immensely talented and can do it right (the tiles must be lain perfectly flat), you don't mind replacing the grout in 10 years, and you are OCD about cleaning your bathroom. While it may initially look awesome it's a form over function issue and the slightest error in tile setting, or settling in your foundation, will cause leaks and potentially major headaches.

The tile guy is good. The foundation shifting would fuck up any bathroom though, wouldn't it?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Yea I would skip that unless you want the upkeep and/or abilty to tear it out every several years to "update".

I did natural stone in my shower and went the full distance to make sure it would hold up, and paid for it. Our tub was a jacuzzi drop in with natural tile around it.

Also for those that don;t know here is what she is talking about.

Kismet38.JPG

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Eww... Grout harbors nasty stuff. Tile showers are fine, because just your feet are touching it.

Stick with a high end ($300+) acrylic tub or a standard porcelain coated steel tub.
Easier to clean, install, more durable, less dirty, less can go wrong, if it does go wrong, anyone can easily fix it.