Bathtub Made out of Tile??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HelloWorl, Feb 24, 2011.

1. HelloWorl

HelloWorl Senior member

Doing a full master bath remodel, and the contractors are telling me the best option is to have a bathtub made out of tile. I have no clue what this would look like as I can't even find any examples online.

Cost wise it'd be pretty similar. I know keeping it clean would be a little tricky, but otherwise not the end of the world. Any thoughts on this?

Contractors won't make any money off of it. The tile job would be with someone else.

#1 HelloWorl, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. ThatsABigOne

ThatsABigOne Diamond Member

Get a regular bathtub. If it has worked before, then it should work this time.

3. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Lifer

It's more expensive, and they want you to do it so that you waste your money on something of no practical value.

4. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Of course they'll tell you the best option is a bathtub made out of tile so they can charge you more. It's your money so do what you want with it.

5. HelloWorl

HelloWorl Senior member

There was a tiled tub there before too. It was crappy though...not even waterproof. Previous owners were morons and tried doing it themselves.

6. HelloWorl

HelloWorl Senior member

Price won't be much different. Contractors probably won't make a dime more either way.

7. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

WTF damn they must be charging you a crapload then. It's infinitely cheaper to drop in a pre-made tub then it is to build a tile one.

8. iGas

iGas Diamond Member

1. It is going to cost you a lot more money (I use to work for a company that built custom hot tubs and swimming pools).

2. The maintenance is much higher than regular tub (unless you like to play with muriatic acid).

3. Heat loss is extremely high on a tile tub because you have to bring the tile, grout, and thin set up to temperature.

A standard acrylic/fiber glass tub could cost as little as $100 from Home Depot and another $100 for surround. labor would be a couple of hours install (not including plumbing).

Ugly cheap tiles would cost you at least $100 (but it is likely to be $250~400 or more), and then there are thinset, grout, sealer, trim pieces, and labour (tile setter and carpenter to built a frame/mold for the tub)

IMHO it is going to cost you at the very least $1500~2000 to get a custom tub built.

9. TastesLikeChicken

Are you talking about the actual tub or the walls around the tub?

If it's the bathtub, don't do it. The grout will wear out in a relatively short amount of time and need to be replaced, not to mention that keeping it clean will be a problem unless you are OCD about cleaning your bathroom.

10. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

11. paperfist

paperfist Diamond Member

If you turn the water on warm for a minute the tile no longer is cold. It's just like having a cast or steel tub.

For $100 you'll never get the awesome look of a custom built tiled tub.

12. HelloWorl

HelloWorl Senior member

Tub and walls. Walls are a given. I have a feeling I'll get the tub done too though based on what happens tomorrow.

13. Dubb

Dubb Platinum Member

They're generally referred to as tiled soaking tubs.

Briefly something of a fetish amongst interior designers a few years ago. They can look really good if done well, but the practicalities of using them are a huge drawback. In addition to the things mentioned above, they can also take longer to fill since the interior corners are usually squared off rather than rounded, which adds a fair percentage to the total volume of the tub.

I wouldn't, but I would spend $$ on a badass modern ESS tub.

14. HelloWorl

HelloWorl Senior member

No. The bathtub is going to be made from tile.

15. HelloWorl

HelloWorl Senior member

Yeah, but I wouldn't want a crappy pre-made one anyway. If it's only $1k more, I don't mind. I think it still falls in my $30k budget. I just need to find out if it's worth it.

16. Squisher

Squisher Lifer

I can't imagine a more uncomfortable thing to lay in than a tile tub.

17. TastesLikeChicken

I'll say it again...stay away unless you happen to know that the tile-setter is immensely talented and can do it right (the tiles must be lain perfectly flat), you don't mind replacing the grout in 10 years, and you are OCD about cleaning your bathroom. While it may initially look awesome it's a form over function issue and the slightest error in tile setting, or settling in your foundation, will cause leaks and potentially major headaches.

18. HelloWorl

HelloWorl Senior member

The tile guy is good. The foundation shifting would *** up any bathroom though, wouldn't it?

19. Leros

Leros Lifer

This is a hottub, but is the kind of thing you're talking about?

[​IMG]

20. HelloWorl

HelloWorl Senior member

As far as I know, yes. Except it wouldn't be nearly that ugly...hopefully.

21. Fayd

Fayd Diamond Member

not really. any cracks at all in your grout means you have a leaking bathtub.

and most people's grout has cracks.

22. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

Yea I would skip that unless you want the upkeep and/or abilty to tear it out every several years to "update".

I did natural stone in my shower and went the full distance to make sure it would hold up, and paid for it. Our tub was a jacuzzi drop in with natural tile around it.

Also for those that don;t know here is what she is talking about.

[​IMG]

23. edro

edro Lifer

Eww... Grout harbors nasty stuff. Tile showers are fine, because just your feet are touching it.

Stick with a high end ($300+) acrylic tub or a standard porcelain coated steel tub.
    Easier to clean, install, more durable, less dirty, less can go wrong, if it does go wrong, anyone can easily fix it.

24. Tim

Tim Diamond Member

Anybody elses bullshit alarm start chirping after reading that?

25. Sentrosi2121

Sentrosi2121 Platinum Member

This is beginning to sound like a Holmes on Holmes episode.

Don't
    Do
    It