"Bath Salts" are a way to get high?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Seriously, if people tried to kill each other when they took hallucinogens Burning Man would just be one big slaughterfest.

Also, can we clone Bill Hicks yet? We need that guy back.

Reality has a liberal bias. Take your "facts" somewhere else.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
yea they sell a lot of fake weed based on this bath salt shit. i get told all the time "its just like real weed! the high is awesome!" then i ask if there has been thousands of years of public testing, and subsequently ask the LD rate and i get no response.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
yea they sell a lot of fake weed based on this bath salt shit. i get told all the time "its just like real weed! the high is awesome!" then i ask if there has been thousands of years of public testing, and subsequently ask the LD rate and i get no response.

Just legalize actual weed and stop making it so you can't get a job if you have any thc in your blood/urine. THC has thousands of years of people using it and so far no ones died or gone crazy.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
ugh, the drug testing for employment. dont even get me started. policy through lobbying started that shit. they could NEVER make a law that requires people to do it for a job, so just let the private insurance industry do it for them. one of many reasons our government doesnt want to control our health care.

and its so sad, because weed makes people feel better with the lowest risk by far from any other drug. its not even close. it doesnt even clog up your lungs like a lot of people want you to think. there is a reason doctors want to know about tobacco use and they never ask about pot use.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
THC has thousands of years of people using it and so far no ones died or gone lazy.
:hmm:

What if they drug test just because they hate stoners? I've met a lot of stoners and I can honestly say that most of them annoyed me. A lot. People who drink too much are annoying too.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
:hmm:

What if they drug test just because they hate stoners? I've met a lot of stoners and I can honestly say that most of them annoyed me. A lot. People who drink too much are annoying too.

I've met a lot of people and I can honestly say that most of them annoyed me.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Seriously, if people tried to kill each other when they took hallucinogens Burning Man would just be one big slaughterfest.

Also, can we clone Bill Hicks yet? We need that guy back.

Never been to Burning Man, but it sure looks fun, and dehydrating!

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Bath Salts are very dangerous. You never know what is in them and in what amounts so its literally impossible to get the dosage right and you dont even know what chemical you are doing when you take them. The fact that the makers of them cant even tell you whats in them should be enough to stop people from doing them but it doesnt seem to stop anyone.

Alot of them have MDPV which if taken in even small to medium dosages can be very dangerous, if you did a line of pure MDPV the size of a average line of cocaine you would be in trouble, awake for 2-3 days easaly and not feeling too good, if you did a half gram to a gram of pure MDPV in a night it would kill you, and be a very painful way to go. However if done in correct VERY LOW dosages MDPV can be very useful as a stimulant and is rather harmless.

Its always better to just get pure 100% of whatever chemical you are trying to do and then you can do the correct dosage and be safe.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Hard drugs are horrible for you, just like alcohol. I hope I never do any hard drugs ever, when will people learn.........pot, LSD, DMT, peyote and shrooms are the only drugs you should do. Morphine/Heroin should be used for pain relief (EXTREME pain relief) and not used recreationally.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Geez, I had no idea. First thing I thought was literally something you put in your bath to soften or fragrance your skin. Apparently there are companies making chemicals which mimic cocaine and sell them under the name of "bath salts". This stuff seems to be very dangerous. There is no regulation or oversight which has resulted in children overdosing. Maybe this is old news to you guys but not to me.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-bath-salts-drugs,0,5048801.story

The video is disturbing. Many people affected by this. Really sad.

Kind of like when JWH-018 came out people were selling it as "Bansai fertilizer".

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
"I know, I will snort or ingest dangerous chemicals that will kill me in exchange for one good high!"

:rolleyes:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
"Calgon take me away" indeed

I used to love making fun of that commercial back in the early 80s.

Drugs are a scourge. The people that use them and especially those that peddle them are scum.

Here is what this drug has done to someone, courtesy of the comment section of that article:

AquaAqua at 2:49 PM September 09, 2011

I want to reiterate what a few wrote that "Bath Salts" is the wrong way to describe this drug. It is Methedrone packaged as a bath salt, saying not for consumption. It is not the common bath salt. It IS dangerous. My brother is addicted to it and he was admitted to a psychiatric ward in June 2011 in the SF Bay Area. He used to be a productive engineer with friends and hobbies. Now, he is living on a small boat without a job, no girlfriend, barely any friends left, losing weight, and thinking of suicide. While he is taking this drug, he has paranoid conversations with no one and talks about government mind control. He is scary and has threatened me verbally. This is not the loving brother I once knew. It has changed his personality such that I cannot speak with him, only text or email. I've tried to get him help but there aren't many legal ways I can. He must help himself and go for drug counseling. A pschiatric ward can only legally hold him for short periods of time. Whatever you do, don't ever try this drug. It isn't worth it. How many families have to be devastated by illegal or legal drugs?! As a society, we need to come to terms that we have a serious problem that no War on Drugs will solve. It has to start with individuals, who then comprise communities, which creates a society. All those people sitting silent must speak up and have their voices heard.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
that reminds me, the kid i know that uses it attempted suicide, he walked in front of a car on a highway at 1 am, he layed in the ditch for 40 minutes before they could find him

only reason he survived was a car hit him (so it mostly just broke his legs), if it had been any kind of truck he'd of died

TerrySmith

Aug 23, 2012
avsbath.co.uk
I used to love making fun of that commercial back in the early 80s.

Drugs are a scourge. The people that use them and especially those that peddle them are scum.

Here is what this drug has done to someone, courtesy of the comment section of that article:

I think the real hidden menace is pharmaceutical drugs.
King of rock? Died from prescription drugs.
King of pop? Died from prescription drugs.
Both on the toilet.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002

That's a very common theory for what psychedelics is doing - that it's wiping out culture in our minds, it's turning off our preconceptions of the world so we experience reality as it really is.

I think recent advancements of neuroscience shows that to be not true.

There's a neuroanatomist, named Jill Bolte Taylor, who had a stroke that essentially shut down her "operating system." It turned off the language portion of her brain. She described this event as her thoughts suddenly becoming silent. She said this made her feel tranquil, and her sensations of the outer world came alive.

Psychedelics is known to be mind-expanding. But this does not come from your thoughts being silent, but quite the opposite. Psychedelics usually amplify one's thoughts so that they begin seeing new connections, and new perspectives.

To grasp how psychedelics provide us those mind opening experiences, I believe it's important to understand the neurobiological underpinnings of how we form our identity, our worldview, and how we form concepts in our head.

First, the critical components of memory to understand is the differentiation between semantic memory and episodic memory. Semantic memory deals with the way we form concepts and ideas. This is what forms our worldview and our identity.

Episodic memory, also known as autobiographical memory, is a memory of events. This is your memory of what you did last week. These are distinct types of memories that have distinct biological underpinnings in the brain. Patients with brain trauma have shown us that we can lose one type of memory but retain the other.

This leads me to memory consolidation. This is the process in how our brain builds our understanding of the world through our experiences. When we have experiences, our brain consolidates key, salient parts of these experiences into our worldview(semantic memory), and we forget most of the experience(episodic memory). How do we know this? Patients who had their hippocampus removed show a gradual loss of memories prior to its removal, with the greatest loss closest to the point of removal, and memories past about 1-3 years are fully intact. New memories are also unable to be formed.

So I think of the hippocampus as a CONCEPT BUILDING MACHINE. It takes our recent memories and tries to make sense of it in the context of our current understanding.

It can also take our older memories to form our concepts too. When we remember things, studies show that the old solidified memory once again becomes a new memory that can be destroyed by removing the hippocampus. Essentially, the old memory is being reformulated into the new perspective/concept that is being formed.

And if you think about how concepts are formed, its a process of logical induction. This is when we taken pieces of information, and form a theory/model in our head that generalizes these pieces of information. A+B+C+D = Z When we gain new experiences, we gain more pieces of information and reformulate our concepts: A+B+C+D+E+F = ZY
So how does all of this tie in with psychedelics? Well studies on psychedelics show that it enhances subjects' personal recollection of memories. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22282432 http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_24-1-2012-10-39-58#fni-3

This memory recall will lead to memory reconsolidation. We take all these vast memory recalls and formulate new concepts with it. The old memory traces are lost and are rebuilt to form our new understanding of the world.
Further supporting this hypothesis, when we consolidate memories, certain genes are activated to activate the bio-machinery involved in altering our synapses and neural networks to form the new concepts. As expected, these genes are very highly activated during the use of psychedelics such as LSD. http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v26/n5/full/1395848a.html

Last edited: