The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
The game just released on Steam and I played the demo. It's pretty cool action RPG but I think I'll wait for a sale. I have too many games waiting to be played.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I thought it looked pretty nice; but as you stated, I have sooooooo much to play right now haha.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
After seeing very positive reviews of the 360 version, I'll have to pick this one up when I get home.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Lots of people really like it. I got lost when the action picked up and the narrator decided to throw some story bits down. Couldn't pay full attention, which I wanted to, while fighting off dudes. It's neat, the music and visuals are great, but if it doesn't click for you, it's just another dungeon crawler.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I bought it yesterday and gave it 20 minutes of play when Steam unlocked it. It's pretty easy so far but I can already tell there's a lot of quality in this game. I'm looking forward to playing more of Bastion and future releases from Supergiant.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
looked very much like a dungeon crawler hacknslash like torchlight.

what separates it?

eadInc

Mar 31, 2009
looked very much like a dungeon crawler hacknslash like torchlight.

what separates it?

Haven't bought it, but from what the buzz is I keep hearing several things
-The "Narrator's" voice is awesome
-The story of the game is pretty much seamlessly told through gameplay in a rather strong way, I think by mostly the narrator, without interrupting the flow and is actually led by the protagonist's actions.
-It's indie so... ya for feeling hip and supporting indie?
-Aesthetically, people are finding the art design nice - colorfully pleasing.. if a bit messy. But hey, the ground builds up/or falls the fuck apart around you as you travel along so mish-mesh is to be expected.

RandomSanity

Jan 23, 2006
The Narrator and style of Narration really makes this game great. I've played for about 3 hours tonight since coming home from work and I'm happy. Certainly worth the $15 for a day one purchase.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Bought the game last night. A few quick thoughts after playing it for about 4 hours.

-Great graphics. You can tell the artists put a lot of love into this game.
-Great gameplay. It's hack n slash but there are a lot of strategies involved that require picking the right weapon and timing. Reminds me of oldschool Zelda.
-I've heard people say the music is awesome. I find the music to be alright, it goes great with the game but it's not something I'd buy the soundtrack just to listen to in the car.
-Voiceover is executed very well. It's like reading a storybook as you're playing the game. I can see this being a move to save money on the development end but I'd love to see this sort of voiceover a bit more in mainstream games.
-5 hours in and the game does a very good job at establishing the surrealistic tone and narrative.
-Levels are a bit short but can be damn challenging.

One more thing. I went straight into the game using the 360 controller. I haven't tried the keyboard + mouse so I can't say now it compares to that, but the controller is working quite well.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Oh wow <3

I preordered it on Steam a few weeks ago and it finally came out yesterday. I've played for 45 minutes and I could barely put it down already, it's looks like Braid, feels a little like Borderlands, and plays like Zelda. It's a potently wonderful combination.

My only complaints so far is that it seems pretty easy and while all the animations are very fluid and outstanding, the default run animation just doesn't seem quite up to par.

But those are really minor grievances considering the music is great, the graphics are great, the controls feel right, the world is cool, the story throws you into the middle of 'something' and you want to find out what, and the game's style is just awesome. It cribs a little from Borderlands with kind of a "wild west" feel and the rough around the edges hero, but definitely runs in it's own direction with it.

I'm playing it on keyboard and mouse so far and it feels good, but I could see how a controller would be natural for it.

Definitely recommend giving it a shot, I think there's a demo available.

RandomSanity

Jan 23, 2006
I agree that the game is a little too easy, I've yet to use a healing potion and they drop like crazy. The only area's I've had difficulty on are getting the 1st place prize on the squirt farm proving grounds haha

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
a little too easy? Is the demo a lot harder than the full game? Those big dudes with the scythelike weapons take away like 1/3 health per hit.

and when you're swarmed with those little liquid guys, they can really do some damage.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Dunno, I didn't play the demo but I got through a few more zones and the 'trials' last night. The zones have all been easy so far, but the trials did take me a few tries and a little strategy.

Though if that's my biggest complaint with the game then so be it, I think everything else about it so far is really excellent. I'm hoping I eventually run into more enemy types though, and I'm hoping the game takes advantage of the of the whole skyjump (or whatever it is) map as some zones are a bit short.

Aug 11, 2008
Played some of the demo. It is fun in a platform game type way. I dont mean that as bad, but sort of not my thing. The way the world unfolds as you move along is kind of neat, but somehow annoys me too. Guess I am too used to having a completed map to explore.

If it were to go on sale for 5.00 or so I would buy it. Otherwise, I still have a lot of unfinished games, and am trying to save money to buy Skyrym, Mass Effect 3, and Fable 3 if it goes on sale.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Played demo, meh.
Narration got tiresome fast. Action was just OK.

But I'd rather play this than Gritty War Simulator 27.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
Played some of the demo last night. It looks *really* nice and is fun to play, but so are a lot of other games. The narration puts it over the top for me. I'm definitely buying it.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I could listen to the narrator read the phone book, he does an awesome job. The integration of his 'dynamic' comments into the game could be a bit more fluid but its still a nice touch.

I'm a few hours into it now and still really enjoying it, and after unlocking some more areas/'things' in the game I'm thinking there's definitely more enemy types and areas than I previously would have guessed. Which is excellent news. Still pretty easy, though there was kind of a 'survival' type challenge through a "dream" sequence that got a little dodgy at times. My friend makes it sound like the enemies get more difficult as well with some of the later types.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I got around to playing the demo tonight, and the narrator was definitely interesting... "He says what I'm doing!" :eek:

I might have to pick this up!

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Played for an hour so far. Very enjoyable hack and slash game. Worth the 15 bucks for sure.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Well, the difficulty issue is resolved when you build up the bastion a bit more and you gain access to the "Shrine" where you can activate idols for different gods which will enhance monster abilities as well as your money/XP earned. I've finally died a couple times :D

Some of the weapon trials take a few tries as well, but normally if you upgrade your weapon once or twice it'll give you the edge you need.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
played the demo.

I find the movement and response to be a bit slow and clunky--not as fluid as I like.

and I can't jump! :(